What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Ry Cooder did Buena Vista Social Club didn't he? Fantastic album. Have a listen if you've not heard it.

BVSC* is an excellent album, as is the Wim Wenders documentary made about the recordings.

Also, check out the live performances of the BVSC, available as a free download from CrozFM.

*The title inspired Half Man half Biscuit's album, 'Cammell Laird Social Club', trivia fans...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

139.jpg

Are you a funeral director?

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

I saw The Reverend Al Green at Glastonbury in 99. He was superb, does he still tour?

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Ullman will love this :D Twisted Sister - Were Not Gonna Take It. Saw these at Donnington 1983 the crowed went wild and then set fire to the portaloos!

TWISTED SISTER

:O

Classic video, godawful tune from a godawful band. I'd rank that alongside Primal Scream's Get Your Rocks Off or Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood for sheer pish-poorness. :D

This is more like it:

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Some mad dubstep tune on YouTube - the wobbly bass kicks in on the minute mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDBCA_HoTl0...feature=related

I love this stuff - just kids in bedrooms making great music

Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride

In one fabulous weekend in 1972 me, my brother and a couple of mates caught Mountain at Sheffield Uni Students Union on the Friday night (I think it was their last ever gig), Man City beating Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on the Saturday afternoon and then Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon tour) at the City Hall on the Saturday evening. What a weekend that was. Mountain were brilliant, City were City but Floyd were something else.

Anyway, I was looking for another of my favourites on YouTube - Peter Frampton - and I came across a 2001 recording of Peter Frampton+Humble Pie performing "No Doctor". So, I then went and checked the original Humble Pie version from 1971 and it blew me away. Check it out for yourselves. PS. Apologies if someone's already posted this, but I can't trawl through 26 pages.

Hope the linky thing works, but I don't know how to do them.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

In one fabulous weekend in 1972 me, my brother and a couple of mates caught Mountain at Sheffield Uni Students Union on the Friday night (I think it was their last ever gig), Man City beating Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on the Saturday afternoon and then Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon tour) at the City Hall on the Saturday evening. What a weekend that was. Mountain were brilliant, City were City but Floyd were something else.

As I'm sure you'll know, Nantucket Sleighride was the theme tune for Weekend World for years. That was the hook that got me into the album. It's a bit of a classic album for me.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Anyway, I was looking for another of my favourites on YouTube - Peter Frampton - and I came across a 2001 recording of Peter Frampton+Humble Pie performing "No Doctor". So, I then went and checked the original Humble Pie version from 1971 and it blew me away. Check it out for yourselves. PS. Apologies if someone's already posted this, but I can't trawl through 26 pages.

Hope the linky thing works, but I don't know how to do them.

That is bloody great!

That is bloody great!

That is good. Steve Marriott auditioned for the Stones but Ron Wood got the gig - it would have been interesting to see what Marriott would have done - Wood is a bit of a Richards clone

That is good. Steve Marriott auditioned for the Stones but Ron Wood got the gig - it would have been interesting to see what Marriott would have done - Wood is a bit of a Richards clone

It would. The Stones lost their edge over 30 years ago for me.

As I'm sure you'll know, Nantucket Sleighride was the theme tune for Weekend World for years. That was the hook that got me into the album. It's a bit of a classic album for me.

It was someone playing me 'Don't look around'* that got me into Mountain, followed by Leslie West's appearance on a documentary (followed by an album) called 'Night of the Guitar'. In the latter recording, West did 'Theme from an imaginary Western', which also blew my mind.

*a song that's a bit like having a building dropped on you from a great height. But in a good way...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A lot of TV shows had great theme music. My personal favourite was World In Action's theme, called "Jam For World In Action". Apparently, Granada (the makers) had thousands of requests for copies of the theme but never did release it. Another good one was The Allman Brothers "Jessica" for Top Gear.

Do you ever find yourself thinking "Wow! That was a great theme." and then not being able to track it down? It's happened a few times to me. At least, with films, they usually list the soundtrack titles.

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

If memory does't fail me, I believe the theme tune to the BBC's 'Horizon' is a track from the eponymous album by Tonto's Expanding Head Band.

Ralph Waldo Emerson