What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Manchester tonight.... hurrah!

Here's their new single 'Zero'....

:lol:

Edited by Mistress_Marlowe

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

MM,

Thanks for the links to the Miles Davis and John Coltrane stuff. I don't get to listen to much jazz these days, but I really like some forms of jazz (not all - I'm not keen on trad for example, or the more outrageously avant-garde stuff). Miles Davis, though, was brilliant.

So was John Coltrane. In fact, tenor sax is my favourite sound. I tried to learn how to play it years ago, but I was unable to devote enough time to it and abandoned the exercise after six months. Love the sound, though.

Thanks again.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

MM,

Thanks for the links to the Miles Davis and John Coltrane stuff. I don't get to listen to much jazz these days, but I really like some forms of jazz (not all - I'm not keen on trad for example, or the more outrageously avant-garde stuff). Miles Davis, though, was brilliant.

So was John Coltrane. In fact, tenor sax is my favourite sound. I tried to learn how to play it years ago, but I was unable to devote enough time to it and abandoned the exercise after six months. Love the sound, though.

Thanks again.

How about

Do you like much of his? Edited by Mistress_Marlowe

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

I've been listening to tracks downloaded (for free) from The Piano Society. They're not really professional-quality recordings, but you can get a good taste of the music. So far, I've downloaded stuff by Villa-Lobos, Ketelbey, Dukas and Ginastera. :)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

correct

my favourite steve earle album is el corazone

Good choice. El Corazon must be one of the most diverse albums ever written, there's a complete mixture of genres in there. Christmas In Washington must rank as one of the best 'political' songs ever IMO.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Good choice. El Corazon must be one of the most diverse albums ever written, there's a complete mixture of genres in there. Christmas In Washington must rank as one of the best 'political' songs ever IMO.

agreed

I like telephone road as well.

in fact I like em all.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Get Some! - Nashville P ussy - the lovechild of Motorhead and AC/DC.

47501_lg.jpg

Saw 'em in York on Friday supporting The Supersuckers.

They weren't bad at all. An added bonus was that the singer exposed the most hilarious Max Wall hairstyle when he took his hat off.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Saw 'em in York on Friday supporting The Supersuckers.

Funnily enough, on the Steve Earle album L'Angelo and I were on about above he does a wonderful collaboration on a song called 'NYC' with The Supersuckers.

Funnily enough, on the Steve Earle album L'Angelo and I were on about above he does a wonderful collaboration on a song called 'NYC' with The Supersuckers.

Really? I'm intrigued.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen The Supersuckers, the self-proclaimed Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Band In The World.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Really? I'm intrigued.

Yep.

They also did a 5 track EP collaboration where they performed songs like Supersuckers "Creepy Jackalope Eye", Earle's "Angel Is The Devil" and also a great version of the Stones' "Before They Make Me Run".

Yep.

They also did a 5 track EP collaboration where they performed songs like Supersuckers "Creepy Jackalope Eye", Earle's "Angel Is The Devil" and also a great version of the Stones' "Before They Make Me Run".

Creepy Jackalope Eye is a great tune.

Cheers for that, I might see if I can track down a copy.

agreed

I like telephone road as well.

in fact I like em all.

Danny Baker's played 'Satellite Radio' from Earle's 'Washington Square Serenade' album a fair bit recently. On the strength of that I bought (and enjoyed) the album.

You should also check out a CD called 'Heartworn Highways'. It is the songs taken from an old documentary about singer/songwriters. As well as the likes of Guy Clarke and Townes van Zandt, it also features Steve Earle's first appearance as a recording artist.

He's also responsible for what could be my favourite album title ever - 'Shut up and die like an Aviator'. :D

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Danny Baker's played 'Satellite Radio' from Earle's 'Washington Square Serenade' album a fair bit recently. On the strength of that I bought (and enjoyed) the album.

You should also check out a CD called 'Heartworn Highways'. It is the songs taken from an old documentary about singer/songwriters. As well as the likes of Guy Clarke and Townes van Zandt, it also features Steve Earle's first appearance as a recording artist.

He's also responsible for what could be my favourite album title ever - 'Shut up and die like an Aviator'. :D

el corazon and washington square serenade are my only two steve earle albums. I love them both. I wish I had all his stuff.

he's the Bruce Springsteen of the real world.

no he isn't he's much better than that.

Keeping it local

el corazon and washington square serenade are my only two steve earle albums. I love them both. I wish I had all his stuff.

he's the Bruce Springsteen of the real world.

no he isn't he's much better than that.

I have been a massive fan of Steve Earle for years. He has produced some excellent albums and has never got the credit he well deserves. Early albums like Guitar Town and Exit O were lost in the country genre in this country but they both have some fine tracks on them with Angry Young Man and I Aint Ever Satisfied among my favorites. The live "Shut and Die Like An Aviator" is in my top 5 albums of all time and just makes the hair stand on the back of my neck. Steve's version of The Stones "Dead Flowers" on it just get to me everytime.

To me Steve Earle beats Springsteen's American apple pie rock any day.

Edited by westhuller

I have been a massive fan of Steve Earle for years. He has produced some excellent albums and has never got the credit he well deserves. Early albums like Guitar Town and Exit O were lost in the country genre in this country but they both have some fine tracks on them with Angry Young Man and I Aint Ever Satisfied among my favorites. The live "Shut and Die Like An Aviator" is in my top 5 albums of all time and just makes the hair stand on the back of my neck. Steve's version of The Stones "Dead Flowers" on it just get to me everytime.

To me Steve Earle beats Springsteen's American apple pie rock any day.

correct

Keeping it local