What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Cocteau Twins - Persephone (The paper chase song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBSij1Xmmjw...feature=related

So much of my life is tied up in this song and band

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imelda May's new album. Apologies if it's already been mentioned.

I'll have some of that.

saw her on Jules Ho;lland ages since and was knocked out.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I was listening to the new CD by The Enemy on the drive into work this morning. I loved their first album, nice and raw it was, not a duff track on it IMO, but the new one seems a bit overdone so far. It probably just needs a few more hearings, unless they've suffered from the dreaded second album syndrome.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Danny Baker's played 'Satellite Radio' from Earle's 'Washington Square Serenade' album a fair bit recently. On the strength of that I bought (and enjoyed) the album.

You should also check out a CD called 'Heartworn Highways'. It is the songs taken from an old documentary about singer/songwriters. As well as the likes of Guy Clarke and Townes van Zandt, it also features Steve Earle's first appearance as a recording artist.

He's also responsible for what could be my favourite album title ever - 'Shut up and die like an Aviator'. :D

First three albums and 4 of the 5 after he got out of jail are all fabulous albums. The others may not lack the consistency but they still contain enough strong songs to justify investigating. First time heard version of 'Billy Austin' on "Shut Up.." was stunned such a haunting performance.

Might want to check out his biography "The Life and Near Death of Steve Earle" by St John; certainly a very flawed if captivating personality and gives a lot of his songs some perspective and quite an eye opener about his life and personality. Altered my opinion of Lucinda Williams and Del McCoury quite a bit, and just reinforced my opinion of Emmylou.

Sting.

Brand New Day.

I like this song, wonderfully uplifting, a rare good song by the guy.

Possibly rather overproduced, hint of pretentiousness, but good non the less.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

First three albums and 4 of the 5 after he got out of jail are all fabulous albums. The others may not lack the consistency but they still contain enough strong songs to justify investigating. First time heard version of 'Billy Austin' on "Shut Up.." was stunned such a haunting performance.

Might want to check out his biography "The Life and Near Death of Steve Earle" by St John; certainly a very flawed if captivating personality and gives a lot of his songs some perspective and quite an eye opener about his life and personality. Altered my opinion of Lucinda Williams and Del McCoury quite a bit, and just reinforced my opinion of Emmylou.

great post although I'm very wary of rock star biogs

Keeping it local

Wow I thought I was the only Steve Earle fans around. Billy Austin on "Shut Up " is a truly wonderful and so is "The Other Kind ". Steve Earle just has this amazing talent of drawing people into his songs full of emotion and amazing lyrics. I first heard of him after listening to a free ep I got with NME it had a live version of "San Antonio Girl" on it the next day I went out and purchased his back catalog. I had before that just dismissed him totally showing no interest in his music but he has now opened the door to some great bands like Green On Red who if know one has heard you must checkout.

Listening to Copperhead Road now "Snake Oil " has just kicked in me foots tapping, brilliant.

Edited by westhuller

Wow I thought I was the only Steve Earle fans around. Billy Austin on "Shut Up " is a truly wonderful and so is "The Other Kind ". Steve Earle just has this amazing talent of drawing people into his songs full of emotion and amazing lyrics. I first heard of him after listening to a free ep I got with NME it had a live version of "San Antonio Girl" on it the next day I went out and purchased his back catalog. I had before that just dismissed him totally showing no interest in his music but he has now opened the door to some great bands like Green On Red who if know one has heard you must checkout.

Listening to Copperhead Road now "Snake Oil " has just kicked in me foots tapping, brilliant.

there's at least three of us on here! :D

Keeping it local

Green on Red were a great band. I once saw them in 1985 at Warwick Uni on the same bill as REM and Jonathan Richmond. Dan Stuart was too drunk to play when they turned up and Pete Buck had to play guitar - I was right at the front and you could hear the band calling out the chord changes.

Also highly recommended are the Replacements and American Music Club if you like this sort of stuff.

Green on Red were a great band. I once saw them in 1985 at Warwick Uni on the same bill as REM and Jonathan Richmond. Dan Stuart was too drunk to play when they turned up and Pete Buck had to play guitar - I was right at the front and you could hear the band calling out the chord changes.

Also highly recommended are the Replacements and American Music Club if you like this sort of stuff.

Hey thanks for that will check them out.

Great tune. Though I dont know what the lead singers been on.