What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

And blues lyrics aren't self-indulgent??

they can be

just because it's the blues doesn't make it any good, there you go again confusing the general with the particular

edit: I was talking about a particular appalling set of lyrics, not an entire genre.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they can be

just because it's the blues doesn't make it any good, there you go again confusing the general with the particular

edit: I was talking about a particular appalling set of lyrics, not an entire genre.

John Lennon's 'Love' isn't a particularly deep song. In fact its pretty simplistic. Still a bloody good tune. Like the song that is mentioned from the Slash album with Ozzy Osbourne singing it.

John Lennon's 'Love' isn't a particularly deep song. In fact its pretty simplistic. Still a bloody good tune. Like the song that is mentioned from the Slash album with Ozzy Osbourne singing it.

it's pop music

it doesn't have to have depth: Louie Louie doesn't have 'depth'

simple is good, in fact in many ways it's the whole point: but simple doesn't have to be adolescentesque moronic doggerel, John Lennon has been as guilty of this as anyone; oh yoko, imagine, the ballad of joh and yoko being notorious examples.

Keeping it local

Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues - followed by - Like A Rolling Stone.

result.

LARS-thats the way to express bitterness

Keeping it local

Today's stroll had as its soundtrack:

Nocturama by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Stand out track for me was Bring it On

Borderline NSFW and featuring a very tubby Chris Bailey.

The return journey had Surrender by the Chemical Brothers which made me walk at strange paces.

And today's stroll had

Ga ga ga ga ga

by Spoon.

To be honest it was so unmemorable I've just had to fire up the MP3 player to see what it was I'd been listening to.

Cindy Incidentally - Faces, one of their greatest. Fantastic Ronnie Wood guitar riff to start.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

US Hardcore band who did a good line in surf instrumentals. This is a beaut.

Never heard that before. Love it.

Edit: With the added bonus of a link to German thrashers Kreator on the same page.

Edited by Ullman

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Yeah, plenty of links with old US hardcore there as well. Speaking of Kreator, I was out with Paradise Lost last night (well half of them...old mates don't you know...) and they were telling me that Mille Petrosa stood in on gutiar for them recently when their gutiarist had to fly home due to his fathers death. Said it was weird having a former hero playing with them.

You're such a groupie, John. :D

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money.

This guy was a great song writer his biggest hit in this country being Werewolfs Of London but this song is my favourite of his.

Yep, an old pal of Hunter S.Thompson too - both sadly missed.

Last night:

Chris Stamey - Kierkegaard

Rob Wasserman & Aaron Neville - Stardust

Bugs Henderson - Texas Ballbuster

Kanda Bongo Man - Belle Amie

Al Green - Let's get married

The Nits - Cabins (live)

Calexico - Crumble

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Persuasions - I'm a Hog for you, Baby

The Stovall Sisters - Hang on in there

Steely Dan - Gaucho

Louis Jordan - Is my Pop in there?

Lou Reed - Romeo had Juliette

Dub Colossus - Shem City Steppers

UB40 - King

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Amon Tobin - Creatures

Manitoba's Wild Kingdom - Fired up

Rob Wasserman & Cheryl Bentine - Angel Eyes

Allen Toussaint - Last Train

The Beatles - Love me do

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Rich Woman

Joe Walsh - Wolf

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jurassic 5-Concrete Schoolyard

Less Than Jake-Some of my Best Friends are Metalheads

A Guy Called Gerald-Voodoo Ray

Plastique Bertrand-Ca Plane Pour Moi

Arctic Monkeys-Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Yeah, plenty of links with old US hardcore there as well. Speaking of Kreator, I was out with Paradise Lost last night (well half of them...old mates don't you know...) and they were telling me that Mille Petrosa stood in on gutiar for them recently when their gutiarist had to fly home due to his fathers death. Said it was weird having a former hero playing with them.

Ooh get you :P

I lost a shoe during a Kreator gig at the Christmas on Earth festival at Leeds Queens Hall in '88 IIRC - it was an all dayer and they cam on earlier than advertised because Voivod pulled out - so I had to spend the rest of the day and evening with only one shoe - anybody who attended a gig at the Queens Hall would know just how unsavoury the floor got :blink:

Half Man, half Biscuit - Thy Damnation slumbereth not

Matthew Sweet & Susannah Hoffs - Monday, Monday

Paul Kelly - Sydney from a 727

Emmylou Harris - Boulder to Birmingham

John Prine - Sabu visits the Twin Cities alone (live)

Talking Heads - What a Day that was (live)

Dengue Fever - Today I learnt to drink

Ralph Waldo Emerson