What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

These rips are my my first experience of the effects of a parallel-tracking tonearm.

Given the difficulty in getting the final tracks on certain problem albums to play really well with a pivoted arm, I am impressed with the results.

I didn't actually realise that anybody had persevered with them seriously. In my mind they've always remained a 70s Bang & Olufsen fad.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't actually realise that anybody had persevered with them seriously. In my mind they've always remained a 70s Bang & Olufsen fad.

There have always been a few around in a small way, but there are quite a few on the market at the moment.

The old-fashioned Sony/B&O servo-driven tonearms are a long way away from these new ones, though, which mostly use air suspension for friction-free movement.

Makers of parallel-trackers such as Rockport, Eminent Technology, Simon Yorke, Thales, Bergmann etc. are all at the higher end of hi-fi, though, which makes them 'somewhat' out of my league.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just sen Arcade Fire at the O2 in London. Superb. Best 8 peice band out there.

Here's a taste of what they are like (from Reading 2010).

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeFireTube.../13/S5jKwMnW3Y8

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just sen Arcade Fire at the O2 in London. Superb. Best 8 peice band out there.

Here's a taste of what they are like (from Reading 2010).

Good News. I'm going to see them at the NEC next Wednesday.

Ramones fest at the minute starting with Rockaway Beach ..... 1 2 3 4 !

good call

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Lindsay Buckingham & Stevie Nicks - Buckingham/Nicks

Matthew Sweet & Susannah Hoffs - Under the Covers Vol.1 & Vol.2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Something to get you all in the festive mood - Santa's Boots, free download from BigOZine.

Disc 1

1 Christmas Song - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds

2 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - Chris Isaak (Jay Leno Show)

3 Silent Night - Tom Waits

4 Winter Wonderland - The Warren Zevon Trio

5 I'll Be Home For Christmas - Dave Alvin & Rick Solem

6 Jingle Bell Rock - Bruce Springsteen

7 Go tell it on the Mountain - Christmas Heritage Band

8 River - Joni Mitchell

9 God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen Jam - Jerry Garcia and David Grisman

10 Christmas Must Be Tonight - Rick Danko

11 White Christmas - Chris Isaak

12 Run Rudolph Run - The Grateful Dead

13 Crystal Ball - Jackson Browne & Bruce Cockburn

14 All I Want For Christmas Is World Peace - Jackson Browne & Bruce Cockburn

15 Blue Christmas - Chris Isaak

16 Merry Little Christmas - Shawn Colvin

Disc 2

1 Christmas Day - Bruce Springsteen

2 Little Road to Bethlehem - Shawn Colvin

3 Mary - Shawn Colvin & Patti Griffin

4 Christmas Time is Here - Stone Temple Pilots

6 Early On One Christmas Morn - Bruce Cockburn

8 A Christmas Song - Ian Anderson

9 Christmas Twist - Syd Straw & Los Lobos

10 Happy Christmas (War is Over) - John Hiatt & Los Lobos

11 Angels We Have Heard on High - Christmas Heritage Band

12 Dradle, Dradle - Chris Isaak

13 Pretty Paper - Chris Isaak

14 Greensleeves - James Taylor

15 Love Came Down at Christmas - Shawn Colvin & Patti Griffin

16 The Christmas Song - Steve Berlin, Cesar Rojas

17 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - Smashing Pumpkins

18 Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home) - Bruce Springsteen

19 River - Shawn Colvin

20 Merry Little Christmas - Billy Joel

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just spotted a recent Eric Clapton upload to the Dime a Dozen site. The seeder really knows how to sell a gig:

Widely reported as the worst show of the 1974 tour, in fact this may be EC's lowest point on stage - ever. Eric is massively, incoherently drunk, and unintelligable at times. As the show begins with EC's 'outroduction' of emcee "Legs" Larry Smith, a member of the crowd shouts out "Clean Up Yer Act!!!!" which really says it all.

EC begins his set with a rambling "Last Train to Brownsville", and then engages in an angry tirade: "To be serious ... one more of them, I'll tell you, and YOU'RE OUT OF HERE! One more of them silly f***ing fireworks and you are out of here! Behaviour!"

As if the audience wasn't aware of his state, after "Let it Grow", Clapton shouts "I am drunk and I am ready for f***in' trouble!". Then, as guest Freddy King takes the stage, "he's strapping on his guitar, moving to the guest spot ... and if you haven't heard of him ... you don't f***ing deserve him! His name is Freddy ..." at this point a member of the crowd shouts out "W***er!", presumably directed at Eric - and probably deserved.

As the solo progresss in "Hideaway", EC simply lets his guitar feed back for bar after bar, while Freddy King solos. Then in "Have You Ever Loved a Woman", after the line 'it's a shame and a sin', EC opines "don't believe them! there's no shame, there's no sin...". Freddie King then proceeds to wipe EC off the stage with his solo. Unfortunately, it's the only high point of this show!

As "Get Ready" begins, the tape source for this CD begins to exhibit lots of wow and flutter, which comes and goes for the remainder of the recording. "Blues Power" ends with the beginning of "Presence of the Lord" which continues on Disc 2. As the band segues into "Little Queenie", EC mumbles "there it is again ... mumble mumble ... what the f*** is going on? ... well, I'm happy to get going - suits me, suits you" and then finally, in what has to be the second most bizarre and/or obscure "Little Queenie" reference from the 1974 tour (the "Martin Borman - Vote Nazi!" comment from the Pittsburgh show takes the #1 slot), EC says "Meanwhile, in Birmingham ... England, that is, not here, in Alabama .... they're making Persian carpets ... at 19,000 quid apiece ... there's only 10 Pakistanis here! They can't be bad - who am I?"

Members of The Band come out and join Eric on a disjointed performance of "Chest Fever" and then by all accounts, carry the drunken Clapton off the stage.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Drake albums on shuffle last night, inspired by the lunar eclipse.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fine Young Cannibals - I'm not the man I used to be

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion