What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Soulful last night, with some or all from the following:

• Lamont Dozier - The ABC Years and Lost Sessions
  • Nona Hendryx & Billy Vera - You have to cry sometime
  • Sam Cooke - One Night Stand (Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963)
  • Burt Bacharach & Ronald Isley - Here I am
  • And, from Rob Wasserman's 'Duets' album, the outstanding cover of 'Stardust', with a multitracked Aaron Neville backed solely by Rob's virtuoso bass. Worth seeking out.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was grooving to this in my levis and brogues long before Northern Soul existed. You just can't help moving to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eTor8RRBbU

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

4 in the car at the Moment

Reba Mcentyre (All the woman I am).

Deep Purple (Perfect Strangers).

Judas Priest (British Steel).

Lady Gaga (Born this way).

In the queue in t'house for the "big stereo cd player thingy.

Satus Quo (Piledriver and Hello)

Deep Purple. (Machine Head/Live in Europ/Who do we think etc/Come taste the band)

Black Sabbath (Mob Rules)

And so the future begins...

Love it :rolleyes:

Rammstein are massive even outside their own nation and have sold well over 20 million records.They are controvertial are often misunderstood as they deliberately use double meanings in their text. They have cult status in South America, USA, Australia and much of Europe. The Concerts are legendary, as the band are Pyrotechnics who love to try different things involving fire during their songs including wearing suits which shoot forth flames. I like Rock and I like them as they are unique. Also they are very clver on how they do things. If you dont like them fair enough but dont judge them as what you think or get first impressions from what you see

Rammstein are massive even outside their own nation and have sold well over 20 million records.They are controvertial are often misunderstood as they deliberately use double meanings in their text. They have cult status in South America, USA, Australia and much of Europe. The Concerts are legendary, as the band are Pyrotechnics who love to try different things involving fire during their songs including wearing suits which shoot forth flames. I like Rock and I like them as they are unique. Also they are very clver on how they do things. If you dont like them fair enough but dont judge them as what you think or get first impressions from what you see

Saw them in Manchester a few years back. Absolutely stunning spectacle.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Saturday's second-hand haul:

• The Mamas & the Papas - A Gathering of Flowers. Nice, and the photos in booklet reminds me once again what a gorgeous girl Michelle Phillips was. :wub:
  • Three Dog Night - American Pastime. Not listened to this yet.
  • James & Bobby Purify - Purify Brothers. Contains 'I'm your Puppet' and plenty of top choons besides.
  • Yello - Flag. Excellent, plus I'd not heard the album version of 'The Race' before.
  • Various Artists - Hide'n'Seek Again (16 Long Lost Beat & Garage Jewels 1964-1967). This is rather fab. The only artists I'd heard of before were Monks and Eric Burdon & the Animals. The other acts were completely new to me, but the compilation as a whole is excellent stuff, especially for those who cherish their copy of 'Nuggets'.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, I will* be listening via a brand new Musical Fidelity V-DAC II, which arrived in the post this morning. It should be an upgrade on my existing DAC**, as it has an asynchronous USB input and upsampling, plus coaxial and optical inputs, so I can hook up other digital sources too. :)

*assuming installation is as simple as it is supposed to be, that is. :wacko:

**already sounding pretty good, but limited to CD-quality bitrates and a single adaptive input.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tonight, I will* be listening via a brand new Musical Fidelity V-DAC II, which arrived in the post this morning. It should be an upgrade on my existing DAC**, as it has an asynchronous USB input and upsampling, plus coaxial and optical inputs, so I can hook up other digital sources too. :)

*assuming installation is as simple as it is supposed to be, that is. :wacko:

**already sounding pretty good, but limited to CD-quality bitrates and a single adaptive input.

I have a dacmagic and use it as an external dac for my CD player bypassing the majority of its electronics has really improved the dynamics and soundstage.I use a toshlink cable to connect the dac to the cd player.If you have the option with the V-Dac give it a try you might be surprised with the results. I have read some great reports of the little black box.

I have a dacmagic and use it as an external dac for my CD player bypassing the majority of its electronics has really improved the dynamics and soundstage.I use a toshlink cable to connect the dac to the cd player.If you have the option with the V-Dac give it a try you might be surprised with the results. I have read some great reports of the little black box.

The DAC will mainly be used via the USB input from my laptop (I have about 500 gigabytes of music on an external hard drive), but my DVD recorder has a digital output, so I could use it to enhance my TV/DVD viewing too. :)

My old DAB tuner had a toslink connection - I may dig it out and give that a try, although reception was dodgy last time I used it. My current DAB only has analogue outputs.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The DAC will mainly be used via the USB input from my laptop (I have about 500 gigabytes of music on an external hard drive), but my DVD irecorder has a digital output, so I could use it to enhance my TV/DVD viewing too. :)

My old DAB tuner had a toslink connection - I may dig it out and give that a try, although reception was dodgy last time I used it. My current DAB only has analogue outputs.

The main reason I got mine was for laptop use, I have a spotify premium account so it was a must.Maplins stock toshlinks and there not that expensive.

Edited by westhuller

Okay; the V-DAC II is a smart-looking, if utilitarian devoce, about the size of a thickish paperback book. Installing was a breeze. I had already installed WASAPI to bypass Windows internal mixer, which makes a big difference to sound quality on its own.

First up: Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man. WOW! Stunning sound - voices right there in the room. Then a bit of lo-fi, with an MP3 of the stereo mix of 'River deep, Mountain high'. Improvements were found here too, with more detail revealed from what is only a 128k file. The power chords of Bowie's 'Moonage Daydream' had startling impact and the subterranean bass from Bela Fleck's 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' was deep and natural-sounding. This is a definite step up from my previous DAC.

Computer audio for reasonable money and zero-fuss installation has come of age. Happy days. :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay; the V-DAC II is a smart-looking, if utilitarian devoce, about the size of a thickish paperback book. Installing was a breeze. I had already installed WASAPI to bypass Windows internal mixer, which makes a big difference to sound quality on its own.

First up: Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man. WOW! Stunning sound - voices right there in the room. Then a bit of lo-fi, with an MP3 of the stereo mix of 'River deep, Mountain high'. Improvements were found here too, with more detail revealed from what is only a 128k file. The power chords of Bowie's 'Moonage Daydream' had startling impact and the subterranean bass from Bela Fleck's 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' was deep and natural-sounding. This is a definite step up from my previous DAC.

Computer audio for reasonable money and zero-fuss installation has come of age. Happy days. :)

I am very happy with my dac to but its not a patch on my ...

SSA54196.jpg

I dug around in the snarl of cables last night and found something to hook up my DVD Recorder to the V-DAC. I then played a recoded episode of 'The Transatlantic Sessions'. Very nice. :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am very happy with my dac to but its not a patch on my ...

What make of turntable is that?

Ralph Waldo Emerson