What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Always get there early mate twice a week you have to before all the good stuff goes.

I don't look for collectables; just music that interests me. Which is, at least, a cheaper version of the hobby.

My local second-hand shop always has a rack just for new arrivals, so you hit that first, before browsing the rest of his stock.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't look for collectables; just music that interests me. Which is, at least, a cheaper version of the hobby.

My local second-hand shop always has a rack just for new arrivals, so you hit that first, before browsing the rest of his stock.

Same as mine , the average price is between £1 and £3 an album. I have discovered so much new music, I bought the Janis Joplin for £1 in excellent condition. Never listened to any of her music before but for that price I picked it up. Its not been off my turntable since.

Always get there early mate twice a week you have to before all the good stuff goes.

There's a record fair at Station Hotel tomorrow (9:30 - 3:00) if you're interested. I'll amble down too late for the bargains as usual. Saturday mornings are all about getting out on the pushbike for me.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

There's a record fair at Station Hotel tomorrow (9:30 - 3:00) if you're interested. I'll amble down too late for the bargains as usual. Saturday mornings are all about getting out on the pushbike for me.

I am at work again and for Record Store day gutted.

Yes, at the record fair this afternoon there were LPs selling for silly prices because they were on the original Vertigo swirly label and that kind of thing, yet you could get a brand new sealed re-issue of the same LP for 10-15 quid. They're a lot cheaper and they're going to sound better. It's a no-brainer IMO.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Yes, at the record fair this afternoon there were LPs selling for silly prices because they were on the original Vertigo swirly label and that kind of thing, yet you could get a brand new sealed re-issue of the same LP for 10-15 quid. They're a lot cheaper and they're going to sound better. It's a no-brainer IMO.

Not all re pressing are decent though but I would not pay silly money for any vinyl as I buy it to play not admire.

Not all re pressing are decent though but I would not pay silly money for any vinyl as I buy it to play not admire.

Can be a bit of a lottery, what with the past practice of using reground vinyl. More recent re-pressings tend to be good quality jobs, as the vinyl market has begun to expand again, after the wilderness years.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can be a bit of a lottery, what with the past practice of using reground vinyl. More recent re-pressings tend to be good quality jobs, as the vinyl market has begun to expand again, after the wilderness years.

The Music On Vinyl label is excellent I have London Calling 180grm reissue from them and the quality of pressing and packaging is brilliant.

Burt Bacharach & Ronald Isley - Here I am

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had a brief listen to Dr John's latest album 'Locked down' and have immediately ordered a copy. Tremendous stuff - the Good Doctor is in top form. B)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

my auntie Brenda used to sing this to me when I were a babby

it srill gets into my head from time to time. I love it.

http://www.myspace.com/video/schuon25/rose-murphy-busy-line/3601871

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

you lucky ######

I bought a CD of theirs on your recommendation: superb stuff.

You'd have loved it, mate. They're like Rod Stewart's old raincoat.

I don't want to worry you but I thought about you at the end of the gig. As we were filing out they played I Fought The Law by The Bobby Fuller Four over the PA. You know what? You're right. It is the best version ever.

Playlist for yesterday afternoon - media player set to 'shuffle play':

• ABC - When Smokey sings
  • Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle
  • Bunny Sigler - Theme for 'Five Fingers of Death'
  • Burning Spear - Estimated Prophet
  • Dickie Betts & Warren Haynes - Willie and Poor Bob
  • Gun - Race with the Devil
  • Kanda Bongo Man - Belle Amie
  • Maggie Reilly - Moonlight Shadow
  • Mandrill - Moroccan Nights
  • Marc Ford - The Big Callback
  • Masters of Reality - Domino
  • Mick Ronson - White Light/White Heat
  • Midlake - Roscoe
  • Mink DeVille - Spanish Stroll
  • Mofro - Blackwater
  • Morcheeba - The Sea
  • Mu - Eternal Thirst
  • Nirvana - Rainbow Chaser
  • No-Man - Brightest blue
  • NuYorican Soul, Jocelyn Brown - I am the Black Gold of the Sun
  • Obi - Somewhere Nicer
  • P.P.Arnold - (If you think you're) Groovy
  • Phil Manzanera - Tomorrow never knows
  • Phoenix - If I Feel Better
  • Rita Coolidge - Fever
  • Rob Wasserman - Stardust
  • Robbie Robertson - Night Parade
  • Robert Palmer - Sneakin Sally through the Alley
  • Roger Chapman - Heading back to Storyville
  • Ry Cooder - Chinito Chinito
  • Selda Bagcan - Gesi Baglari
  • Shelby Lynne - Your Lies
  • Sir Douglas Quintet - Mendocino
  • Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle with you
  • Stereolab - Escape Pod (from the World of Medical Observations)
  • Suzanne Vega - Blood makes Noise
  • T.Rex - Jeepster
  • Talking Heads - Life During Wartime
  • Tele:Funken - Empire State:Funken
  • Tenpole Tudor - Swords of a thousand Men
  • The B52s - Rock Lobster
  • The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter
  • The Call - Let the Day begin
  • The Cars - Candy-O
  • The Delfonics - Ready or not, here I come
  • The Durutti Column - Somebody's Party
  • The Electric Prunes - I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night
  • The J.Geils Band - Whammer Jammer
  • The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society
  • The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer in the City
  • The Monkees - Circle Sky
  • The Persuasions - I'm a Hog for you
  • The Pogues - The Body Of An American
  • The Sisters of Mercy - Lucretia my Reflection
  • The Teardrop explodes - Reward
  • The Temptations - Cloud Nine
  • The Travelling Wilburys - Maxine
  • The Triffids - Wide open Road
  • Thea Gilmore - The Resurrection Man
  • They might be Giants - Istanbul not Constantinople
  • Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an Alibi
  • Tinsley Ellis - Texas Stomp
  • Tom Ovans - Killing me
  • Tommy Bolin - Sweet Burgundy
  • UB40 - King
  • Underworld - Born Slippy
  • Van Halen - Jump
  • Various Artists - Faded Love (feat. Lyle Lovett)
  • Wire - Outdoor Miner

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Count Ossie & the Mystical Revelation of Rastafari - Tales of Mozambique. Bonkers reggae, excellent drumming.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Count Ossie & the Mystical Revelation of Rastafari - Tales of Mozambique. Bonkers reggae, excellent drumming.

Only a couple of days ago I was explaining to my girlfriend the importance of Count Ossie's appearance on 'Oh Carolina' in terms of the development of Ska (then Rocksteady and into Reggae) and the spread of Rastafarianism that followed on from there.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959