What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Selda Bagcan - Selda. Sixties psych-pop from Turkey. Good stuff.

Followed by this dirt-cheap (legal) download of Chet Baker - 100 Masterpieces, with the media player set on 'shuffle'. :)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr John's new album 'Locked down' - produced by Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys. The Good Doctor is on top form here and the songs and arrangements are excellent too, especially the busy polyrhythmic drums.

Unfortunately, at some point in the mixing/mastering process, it has become yet another victim of The Loudness War, being heavily compressed, which is a shame, as an excellent album could easily have been made even better.

When I got my copy first thing I thought about was 'Gris-Gris' and 'Babylon' and soundwise it seems to be an attempt to go back to that vibe. Agree with you about the mixing but also the production also his chops on the piano get rather little prominence. The 'Kingdom of Izness' is my favourite Dr. John song title for quite a few years.

I have that one as well as a couple of others and they all start with " 1. 2. 3. 4........"

Or eins, zwei, drei, vier on the Bremen live album.

Somebody once asked Johnny why they counted every song in 1,2,3,4. His reply was how else would they all start the song at the same time.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Georgia Satellites "BBC In Concert : Live at Reading" - Intense bar band that got lucky

Frank Zappa "Waka/Jaka" - highly underrated album

Culture "Two Sevens Clash"

Blue Murder "No One Stands alone" - worth it just for the title track, not to be confused with the poddle permed rockers of the same name

Buddy Guy w. Jeff Beck "Ohne Filter" - live at Ronnie Scottt's I think from 1986

When I got my copy first thing I thought about was 'Gris-Gris' and 'Babylon' and soundwise it seems to be an attempt to go back to that vibe. Agree with you about the mixing but also the production also his chops on the piano get rather little prominence. The 'Kingdom of Izness' is my favourite Dr. John song title for quite a few years.

Reports from live gigs suggest that the performances on this disc are just a starting point, and the band are tighter and funkier now they are more familiar with the songs.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light. A live DVD with a band featuring Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny, plus a guest appearance from The Persuasions. Great performance, excellent recording.

The Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah. Revisiting the very first CD I ever bought. Still good, in the main.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

mod rock at its best. What they look like-check out the hair and tyhe trousers matters as much as what they sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzSF-cgk8-s&feature=related

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

• 2 weeks later...

Not strictly speaking "listening to" at the mo, but cued up for tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ames_Episode_1/

A very welcome return to David Quantick's Blaggers Guide.

Thanks for the heads-up! :) I was listening to the 'Jazz' series only last night.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Baroness were outstanding on Monday night.

Shocked to see on the news tonight that their bus was in a serious accident near Bath last night.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Judee Sill - Abracadabra. A 2CD set, comprising her two albums, a live gig and a hatful of demos/outtakes.

This isn't folkie strumming; it's genuinely sophisticated writing and arranging. And how someone whose life encompassed alcoholism, armed robbery, prostitution and various drug addictions (up to and including heroin) can write such joyful music is quite remarkable.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Skynyrd's Innyrds

The Black Sorrows - Beat Club

Marvin Gaye - What's going on? (Detroit Mix)

Ralph Waldo Emerson