What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to the new Pet Shop Boys album 'Elysium' for the past few days. I'd read a couple of reviews that said it wasn't their best work, with only a handful of standout tracks, but I bought it anyway being a fan. So far, the reviews appear to be spot on. It's not bad, but a lot of it is quite forgettable by their usual (IMO) lofty standards. Their most recent odds n ends collection 'Format' is, surprisingly, much more entertaining and varied.

I've been listening to the new Pet Shop Boys album 'Elysium' for the past few days. I'd read a couple of reviews that said it wasn't their best work, with only a handful of standout tracks, but I bought it anyway being a fan. So far, the reviews appear to be spot on. It's not bad, but a lot of it is quite forgettable by their usual (IMO) lofty standards. Their most recent odds n ends collection 'Format' is, surprisingly, much more entertaining and varied.

John, I'd argue that the best bits on 'Elysium' sound like 'Behaviour', which is, in my opinion, the strongest PSB studio album (though 'Actually' runs it close). Having said that, some of the other bits on there are pretty dreadful. A mixed bag, but not their worst album.

Having a Kraftwerk day today - lots of their albums back to back. Now on to "Computer World". "When I press a special key, it plays a little melody" etc etc

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

A lot more merit than the output from your typical hip hop/rap artist nowadays.

Just because there is something out there even worse doesn't make the thing you are comparing it to any good. :rolleyes:

Anyway, some music and what I've just listened to:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

[media=]

[/media]

That's bloomin marvellous, thank you. Just looked them up and they seem like a genuinely good live band too. Their version of the classic 'Satta Massagana' is also very refreshing.

Nice one Mr Futtocks, another new band to discover and cherish. :)

That's bloomin marvellous, thank you. Just looked them up and they seem like a genuinely good live band too. Their version of the classic 'Satta Massagana' is also very refreshing.

Nice one Mr Futtocks, another new band to discover and cherish. :)

On a whim, I signed up to Real World records website, and one of the things they offered was a free download of the first 4 tracks of this album. I bought the whole thing pretty soon after!

The pianist on this album, Samuel Yirga, got a solo deal from this collaboration, and he's pretty good too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just because there is something out there even worse doesn't make the thing you are comparing it to any good. :rolleyes:

Anyway, some music and what I've just listened to:

[media=]

[/media]

Compare & Discuss....

I was there, bloody hell, ten years ago, & it's still as wet

I never said it was good. Like the way you followed that with the vastly overrated New Order! :lol:

I was sticking strictly to the title of the thread; that was what shuffled it's way onto my playlist at the time of responding to Sev's post. :rolleyes:

Never thought of them as being overrated BTW.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I was sticking strictly to the title of the thread; that was what shuffled it's way onto my playlist at the time of responding to Sev's post. :rolleyes:

Never thought of them as being overrated BTW.

I have a mental block with some bands and won't listen to them. It's the same with the Smith's and Bruce Springsteen.

In films I'm like that with Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage. :blink:

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah