What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

I managed to pick up a mint copy of Nutbush City Limits the other day for £1:50 from my favourite 2nd hand shop, really enjoying it and have just picked up a copy of Sweet Rhode Island Red too. Even though they are both studio albums they have a live feel to them. We all know the history of what went on between Ike and Tina but the chemistry between them on there records was amazing.

An amazing live act, too. I have had an LP of theirs for years called Nice'n'Rough, which mixes their own songs with covers and the raw energy is amazing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just arrived - the new Mobile Fidelity pressing of The Band's second album. If they've done as good a job as they did with 'Music from Big Pink', I'll be very pleased.

Wow. Just wow. I played this against a perfectly decent clean pressing based on the original release mix, as botched by the record label. Compared to this new one based on The Band's original intentions, it sounds gutless and distant.

Just like Mobile Fidelity's pressing of 'Big Pink', this is the only version anyone should ever need to own.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just watched the results show from Strictly Come Dancing. Some quasi classical boy band did an overblown  turgid version of Bob Dylan's Forever Young.

So I've dug out the "genuinely classic"  version by Joan Baez.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Frank Zappa and band perform 'Inca Roads' with part of it animated by the demented plasticene creations of Bruce Bickford.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gene+vincent+race+with+the+devil&qpvt=gene+vincent+race+with+the+devil&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=EF835A9B6734D2E25D84EF835A9B6734D2E25D84

saw Bill Wyman's Rhthm Kings play it last night: escellent evening in a packed Grand Theatre

Vincent was an important part of my music education.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Doing some hi-res vinyl rips over the weekend, in between the World Cup action, including this:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just ordered a 45rpm copy of The Magic Numbers first LP, it is a double vinyl release with only three tracks on each side, apparently the sound reproduction is better at 45 rpm than 331/3. I'm looking forward to hearing the results but not having to get up every 10 mins to change sides.

Just ordered a 45rpm copy of The Magic Numbers first LP, it is a double vinyl release with only three tracks on each side, apparently the sound reproduction is better at 45 rpm than 331/3. I'm looking forward to hearing the results but not having to get up every 10 mins to change sides.

I borrowed (and sneakily recorded) the 45rpm release of Simon & Garfunkel's 'Bridge over troubled Water'. Let me just say WOW!

The record goes faster, so your cartridge is picking up more information per second, and the increased movement makes it output more signal, so a really dynamic recording will knock your socks off. You may, depending on various factors, get a little more background noise, but it's not a big deal.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday's trip to the record shop turned up the following LPs:

• Leon Russell - Will o' the Wisp
  • Mandrill - We are one
  • Tackhead - Friendly as a Hand Grenade
  • Tangerine Dream - Hyperborea
  • Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Zero Time

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Joan Baez cover of Dylan's  "Forever Young" is the one for me.  I first heard it on the TV show, "The Wonder Years" and was blown away. I used it as a backing to a photo slide-show of a birthday, and almost everyone who sees it asks who's singing.