What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Wow, Suzi Quatro....looking hot as you like!!*

*disclaimer, not sexist.... possibly

Brings back memories of (just) being a teenager. Quite wonderful. :wub:

Another hit off the Chin & Chapman production line. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remastered  Led Zeppelin 1,2 & 3...fantastic , if a little clinical compared to vynil.

Analogue maniac Michael Fremer on the latest Led Zep reissues - worth a read: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/“ramblin’-on”-about-led-zeppelin-ii-or-i-got-blisters-my-eardrums

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Analogue maniac Michael Fremer on the latest Led Zep reissues - worth a read: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/“ramblin’-on”-about-led-zeppelin-ii-or-i-got-blisters-my-eardrums

Thanks for that, well worth reading. I was considering shelling out for the vinyl reissues but I think I'll be sticking with my ancient WEA pressing of Led Zep II.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Thanks for that, well worth reading. I was considering shelling out for the vinyl reissues but I think I'll be sticking with my ancient WEA pressing of Led Zep II.

Michael Fremer's usually a good source for information on vinyl releases. On the same site are his evaluations of the latest Beatles mono reissues. Playing them on a system that costs about the same as a house is probably also a help when he's picking nits and comparing to original pressings. Above all, he's fun to read - I'm still searching for the comedy LP he released years ago. Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not listening yet, but I'm hoping to persuade Mme Timtum to take a week off work in November so that we can meet up in Paris for:

• 15th  Lloyd Cole - start with some 80's jangle easy listening unless he's doing his mildly bonkers electronica
  • 16th  Jesus & Mary Chain
  • 17th  Einsturzende Neubauten
  • 18th  Joan as Police Woman - unspeakably marvellous
  • 19th  A day off for shopping and other worldly pursuits
  • 20th  Electric 6
  • 21st  Another day off
  • 22nd  Wedding Present - by which time all of the songs will undoubtedly sound the same.

Chances of this happening in its entirety, close to zero I would have thought.  A gentle pick and choose could be on the cards.

Not listening yet, but I'm hoping to persuade Mme Timtum to take a week off work in November so that we can meet up in Paris for:

• 15th  Lloyd Cole - start with some 80's jangle easy listening unless he's doing his mildly bonkers electronica
  • 16th  Jesus & Mary Chain
  • 17th  Einsturzende Neubauten
  • 18th  Joan as Police Woman - unspeakably marvellous
  • 19th  A day off for shopping and other worldly pursuits
  • 20th  Electric 6
  • 21st  Another day off
  • 22nd  Wedding Present - by which time all of the songs will undoubtedly sound the same.

Chances of this happening in its entirety, close to zero I would have thought.  A gentle pick and choose could be on the cards.

Hmmm.  So far a resounding no…..  Some work to be done here quite clearly.  

And back to the subject in hand

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Live from KCRW on that spotify app thingy.  A very splendid indeed version of Mercy Seat.

Just heard the new Metallica single 'Lords of Summer' on 6Music. Pretty good I reckon and seems like their early years stuff.

Heard that recently but I can't remember which gig it was from. I really like it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I thought Metallica were great at Glastonbury,.

Me too, they always deliver on stage. They're too good at what they do and have been doing it for too long to screw it up.

Great to see them open up with a couple of Ride The Lightning classics.

I can't believe some of the small minded reaction by music fans and some bands to Metallica beforehand. So much for open mindedness. ..pricks.

Looking at some of the opinions flying around after the gig, a common response to them was "This isn't normally my kind of music, but by God, they know how to deliver a show!" So it may have opened a few minds. Dolly Parton's the big name today - a stylistic contrast to Metallica, but someone else who is a total professional. She'll have 'em eating out of the palm of her hand. Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just to commemorate Bobby Womack.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looking at some of the opinions flying around after the gig, a common response to them was "This isn't normally my kind of music, but by God, they know how to deliver a show!" So it may have opened a few minds. Dolly Parton's the big name today - a stylistic contrast to Metallica, but someone else who is a total professional. She'll have 'em eating out of the palm of her hand.

Well, Dolly aced it. Proper showbiz. Next act, vaguely amiable guitar-strummer Ed Sheeran, must have been messing his pants.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

How the hell do you know that?

I have what are known as "eclectic tastes"  everything from J S Bach to Jonhny Rotten is grist to my mill! ;)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of nights ago, Interpol and the Arctic Monkeys at the roman arena in Nimes.

The AM's are not really my thing but put on quite a show, and the drummer doesn't half give the skins a whack.

Interpol were quite simply the loudest band I have ever witnessed.  The noise made my eyeballs hurt.  Venue staff were handing out earplugs!

Just back from the second-hand record shop with:

• The Triffids - Raining Pleasure
  • The Rutles - The Rutles
  • Michael Nesmith - Nevada Fighter
  • King Crimson - Three of a perfect Pair
  • The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Big Hits and close Shaves
  • War - Why can't we be Friends?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The 1977 Bearsville Picnic. Video featuring Albert Grossman, Todd Rundgren, John Sebastian, Jesse Winchester, Paul Butterfield, Mick Ronson and Foghat.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

YouTube's Music Vault has just expanded massively, thanks to a hookup with the Wolfgang's Vault website. Fill yer boots!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A little cracker, this!

Ralph Waldo Emerson