What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished listening to the new Pink Floyd. It sounds beautiful and 'big', but nothing has grabbed hold of me and made me sit up. Low-to-mid-tempo tracks where atmospheric guitars and keyboards wash over you, but one track merges into the next a bit too easily. I think Gilmour's just too comfortable to push the boat out, as far as songwriting goes, and he doesn't have Waters to bring the edgy*, uncomfortable side of things.

*I hate that word normally; the most vapid of showbiz adjectives when applied to a corporate meat-puppet who acts out a 'bad boy/girl' image. But it's relevant here.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Following of the the TRL Guitarists thread, here's Leo Kottke covering The Byrds.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Buffy Sainte-Marie - Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ignore the presence of Crosby & Nash in the uploader's video - they weren't in Manassas.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ignore the presence of Crosby & Nash in the uploader's video - they weren't in Manassas.

great band. I played their eponymous album to death. I love this song

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Following of the the TRL Guitarists thread, here's Leo Kottke covering The Byrds.

That's a good version of a fine tune.

I've always liked Golden Earring's somewhat lengthier version too.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

That's a good version of a fine tune.

Yes, and despite what it sounds like, that's just one guitarist.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I saw Adrian Legg doing a demo of a new amp at the British Music Fair years ago. Unfortunately, he spent more time fiddling with the amp's controls than he did playing, and it still sounded awful. Good player, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I saw Adrian Legg doing a demo of a new amp at the British Music Fair years ago. Unfortunately, he spent more time fiddling with the amp's controls than he did playing, and it still sounded awful. Good player, though.

I think the guitar playing is still a sideline to his main job as a luthier.

Stuart Duffy the Bradford Bulls football manager is a superb guitar player. He plays in a country band called the Collier Dixon Line. He uses a very similar effect to get a very realistic pedal steel effect.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

The late Danny Gatton, aka the greatest unknown guitarist in the world.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mostly I am listening to the boy with his new toys for his guitar...

However. ... having an afternoon with Fleetwood Mac and Rory G

I've got Photo-Finish on the turntable at this very moment.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Aside from listening to music on the radio, I haven't spent much time listening to music of a personal choice recently.

I decided to change this and had a gander through the Youtube vaults last night and came across a song by a band I adored in the late eighties. Don't suppose many of you will have heard of this but it's an incredibly haunting version of an old Irish folk song written around a hundred years ago.

Never fails to give me goosebumps, saw them perform this more than a dozen times live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052DGZh2_3s

Edited by Old Frightful
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)