What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Difford and Tilbrook were the Lennon and McCartney of the 80's

There's a bit of Ray Davies / Kinks in there as well. Glenn Tilbrook's solo shows are fantastic and he often performs in very small venues. I saw him in a 100 person venue in Sheffield and it was one of the best gigs I've seen.

They actually wrote Cradle to the Grave and some of the other tracks in 2012 and mentioned the Danny Baker project back then. I don't know if the delay in actually completing it was a consequence of Baker's illness.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nits - Quest. A bonus disc of unreleased songs from the mid-Nineties. Some very good tracks, some a bit sketchy.

R-2330228-1382792786-7856.jpeg.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Still stuck in the 60s/70s. The long hot summer of 76. Along came Pussycat, with Mississippi. A Dutch C&W group fronted by Toni Wille.

My favourite song ever. I'm going to have it played at my funeral. Playing the best of Pussycat (again).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfY0yJyTjjE

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

Listening to some Garfunkel & Oates tracks on YouTube. They are comedy music duo Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci, who have both had appearances on (and written for) 'The Big Bang Theory'. 

Some of the lyrics are very much NSFW, especially 'The Loophole'. Funny, though.   :biggrin:

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ryan Adams has covered the entirety of Taylor Swift's '1989' album.  I suspect this is a bit marmite but I'm enjoying what I've heard so far:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've just taken delivery of Gwenno's first album "Y Dydd Olaf". Ambient, electro pop sung in Welsh. I like it.

Here's the first track "Chwyldro":

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I'll have to watch all 4+ hours of this to tell if it is The Band's legendary 'Last Waltz' concert in full, without Scorsese's interruptions. But it looks and sounds like it might be.  B)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiders from Mars' self-titled (and only) album. No Mick Ronson, unfortunately, but it's not bad.

R-777641-1435424158-7817.jpeg.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A really good vinyl rip of Frank Zappa - Apostrophe. B)

Edit: switched off now, because I want to hear what will be undoubtedly an hilarious RU post-mortem.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiders from Mars' self-titled (and only) album. No Mick Ronson, unfortunately, but it's not bad.

That's a bit of a rarity. I remember it being released but I can't remember ever hearing it and I've never seen it come up second hand.

Mick would have been busy pursuing his solo career at that time. He services were also very much in demand. As Elton John once said of him, everybody wanted Mick Ronson on their album.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Thanks to the pre-match entertainment at the NRL Grand Final, I had to go back and listen to this again.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay, brace yourself! Tiny Tim* commits GBH on 'Do ya think I'm sexy'.

*not that one, but if this video helps you to visualise a certain TRL member, go for it!

Ralph Waldo Emerson