What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

The first single from the Monkees forthcoming album 'Good Times'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpp-Ry2ZNhY

Obviously not quite the same without Davy Jones, but not as bad as I feared.

I know it's probably not a cool thing to say but I've always been a fan of The Monkees. Always thought they were very underrated.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously not quite the same without Davy Jones, but not as bad as I feared.

I know it's probably not a cool thing to say but I've always been a fan of The Monkees. Always thought they were very underrated.

A good band, whether playing their own later material or the early pre-fab stuff, which is also excellent. Irk the purists and enjoy the music for what it is.

I have a few of Michael Nesmith's solo LPs too, which are very good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A good band, whether playing their own later material or the early pre-fab stuff, which is also excellent. Irk the purists and enjoy the music for what it is.

I have a few of Michael Nesmith's solo LPs too, which are very good.

Oh I do; I now listen to all sorts of stuff that was considered a bit naff when I was young enough to care about such things.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Oh I do; I now listen to all sorts of stuff that was considered a bit naff when I was young enough to care about such things.

Mark Kermode's Celluloid Jukebox series on Radio 2 championed 'The Porpoise Song' from the Monkees' psychedelic movie, Head, just the other day. And there are some other excellent songs on that soundtrack too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No shame in that, it's some of the finest pop music ever committed to disc.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

No shame in that, it's some of the finest pop music ever committed to disc.

There's always been a lot of lofty sneering from the so-called 'serious' end of the music spectrum towards pop music.

The truth is, it's just as hard (if not harder) to craft a really good, hooky pop song as it is to make a worthy punk polemic that "keeps it real", or a dreadfully serious rock epic that "addresses important issues".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's always been a lot of lofty sneering from the so-called 'serious' end of the music spectrum towards pop music.

The truth is, it's just as hard (if not harder) to craft a really good, hooky pop song as it is to make a worthy punk polemic that "keeps it real", or a dreadfully serious rock epic that "addresses important issues".

I've just picked up Voice Of The Beehives first two albums... I can hear the sniggers ! But they released some catchy pop songs my favourite Monsters and Angels is a cracker.

I've just picked up Voice Of The Beehives first two albums... I can hear the sniggers ! But they released some catchy pop songs my favourite Monsters and Angels is a cracker.

There's a name I haven't heard in years.

I just checked out 'Monsters and Angels' on YouTube and it came back to me straight away. I don't remember seeing the Edward Hopper-esque video before, though.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a few of Michael Nesmith's solo LPs too, which are very good..

Our local has got a bit of a beer and music fest on this weekend. I hadn't heard any Monkees tunes in ages but in one of life's little coincidences they played "Steppin' Stone" in between two of the live acts . What a great tune that is

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

In the middle of my usual sunday morning van morrison/dylan/byrds fest...

I played 'light flight' by pentangle...

A disc identified so much by my sisters cohort.... but such a memory jogger to me..

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Your post prompted me into the loft where killer spiders and wasps nests the size of rawmarsh exist....

I was certain I had my sisters copy of that on vinyl but can't find it.

I'm going to download it if poss....

My sister would have been 19.... I was 8 when it was released.

Reminds me so much of her coming home from Ripon college

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

The recently deceased Billy Paul.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Warrington fans, start your songwriting careers early... ;)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

For me, Al diMeola's output has been very hit-and-miss over the last 40 years. I think this album is one where he got it right.

Another track from the Monkees' new album, this time written by Andy Partridge out of off of XTC. And, as a fan-service, it has been matched to a bit of vintage Legs & Co. footage, with the lovely Sue Menhenick front'n'centre in the skimpiest bikini of all. B)

Ralph Waldo Emerson