What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just watching " Eight a Days A Week " on Channel 4. If there was a better live band than " The Beatles " I never saw them.

Brilliantly edited and directed by Ron Howard. A fine piece of storytelling. I liked the way he made still photographs 'move' by using tricks like adding 'live' smoke coming from people's cigarettes.

The Beatles in terms of live performance paid their dues, and it was interesting to see how all the contributory factors that made them what they became slot into place. It's an often told story, but superbly told by Howard. Epstein sees them, Pete Best replaced by Ringo, George Martin seeing something in them, and the rest becoming history. For once I found myself not cringing when Paul McCartney was talking. They were a far better rocking band than they were given credit for.

22 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just watching " Eight a Days A Week " on Channel 4. If there was a better live band than " The Beatles " I never saw them.

###### I knew there was something I wanted to watch last night.

All 4 it is then.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 05/01/2018 at 10:32 PM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If there was a better live band than " The Beatles " I never saw them.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Great stuff, I think that's Mick Green, the master of the Telecaster.

It is indeed the late and very great Mick Green.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

6 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

One of my main men. He didn't play on the original version of shakin all over though.

I know, but he played on a lot of the later stuff like "  Hungry For Love " , " Ecstacy ", " I Can Tell ", etc and as  The Pirates - " My Babe ", " Casting My Spell ". His sound is unmistakable.

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know, but he played on a lot of the later stuff like "  Hungry For Love " , " Ecstacy ", " I Can Tell ", etc and as  The Pirates - " My Babe ", " Casting My Spell ". His sound is unmistakable.

Correct

And a mentor of wilko Johnson. 'Goin' back home' is about him, and I think he helped to write it.

• Like 1

It's usually 1964 in my house but I do play more current music.

Two great tracks that you very rarely hear this side of the pond. If you play in a band you'll like the musicianship. You can watch live performances on YouTube.

Dave Alvin and the Guilty Ones - " Harlan County Line ".

Mighty Mike Schermer - " My Big Sister's Transister Radio".

The very last one promise!

This is just to say goodbye everyone all the best and hope next year is great for you all and your team (so long as they don't beat mine of course):bye: It was excellent fun, really interesting but it's time to move on. :bye: I won't list you all cos' it will sound like an Oscars acceptance speech! :bye:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

In anticipation of new live bad company album release tomorrow..... I'm giving free and bad company a spin this aft....

Both highway and burning sky are so underrated..... and straight shooter remain one of the best.

Two contrashing guitarists.... micks Ralph's livelier rock guitar is pleasing but my first guitar hero Paul kossoff's bluesy guitar typified on the mover still gets me reaching for the air guitar

Scruffy the Cat - Moons of Jupiter (plus a verse of a Tiffany single).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson