What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Having recently discovered (on another thread) that there are some Mozart-haters out there, here's one of my dad's arrangements, played by the Canadian wind quintet Pentaedre on their latest album. Just to annoy them. :kolobok_wink:

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Having recently discovered (on another thread) that there are some Mozart-haters out there, here's one of my dad's arrangements, played by the Canadian wind quintet Pentaedre on their latest album. Just to annoy them. :kolobok_wink:

Your Dad? Tell us more!

8 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Your Dad? Tell us more!

One of things he's done most of his life is arrange music, mainly taking string or keyboard music and setting it for wind instruments. When I was younger, we used to do music for the Christmas service at the nearest village's church. He'd rope in local musicians, figure out how good they were and create personalised arrangements that gave the novices simple harmony lines, while the better players got the more technical stuff.

He's got a gift for it in general, but he's especially fond of creating new repertoire for wind quintets.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

the sound, then the jets

Can’t beat the sound of a Merlin. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

I while back I heard this song that I found oddly moving for reasons I couldn’t put my finger on.  It was had a bit of an early 90s feel with a voiceover about a girl listening to very loud house music.

I heard it a few times and never found out what it was.   But it’s been bouncing round my head ever since.  

This morning Mary Anne Hobbs played it and I grabbed the title.   It’s Beulah Loves Dancing by Planningtorock.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 hours ago, Steve May said:

Can’t beat the sound of a Merlin. 

Four Merlins'll beat it. :kolobok_wink: I got buzzed at very low level by that Lancaster many years ago - the entire house vibrated.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another Fishbone fan here, particularly the early stuff which I happily stumbled upon in the pre-internet days. Although I guess they probably don't play Party at Ground Zero any more since 9/11. This is on my Christmas music playlist.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 19/10/2019 at 11:53, Futtocks said:

Another Fishbone fan here, particularly the early stuff which I happily stumbled upon in the pre-internet days. Although I guess they probably don't play Party at Ground Zero any more since 9/11. 

Stumbled across a Fishbone gig from June this year. They open the set with Party at Ground Zero.

These lads don't seem to age! 

• Like 1