What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again I'd make all the same mistakes - only sooner."  Tallulah Bankhead

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

New album time. Unfollow the Rules by Rufus Wainwright. One of the few artists whose work I still buy on CD rather than just downloading, and listen from start to finish in the order the songs are presented, no shuffling. Enjoying it very much. Had tickets for a concert in York in October n'all, now punted into mid-2021 for obvious reasons.

spacer.png

After Tweeting him (and getting speedy and helpful reply), I recently found out that the BBC cricket correspondent Henry Moeran is indirectly related to this very fine and underrated composer.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This artist first made her name in a non-musical way in 1989. Remember her?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not a song, but indirectly relevant to this thread, as one of the great music publications bites the dust after 34 years. I've been reading it since buying the first issue in 1986. Sad day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Not a song, but indirectly relevant to this thread, as one of the great music publications bites the dust after 34 years. I've been reading it since buying the first issue in 1986. Sad day.

I used to get Q every month, because nobody else was doing so many reviews of so much music. I even stuck with it through their embarrassingly middle-aged crush on Michael Stipe, who seemed to feature in every single issue for a while.

I discovered a ton of artists I'd never have heard of without their good work. Unlike some other music publications, it usually felt like the reviewers had actually listened to the music before writing about it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I used to get Q every month, because nobody else was doing so many reviews of so much music. I even stuck with it through their embarrassingly middle-aged crush on Michael Stipe, who seemed to feature in every single issue for a while.

I discovered a ton of artists I'd never have heard of without their good work. Unlike some other music publications, it usually felt like the reviewers had actually listened to the music before writing about it.

I'm a fan of R.E.M. so I didn't mind the Stipe crush. It was their Nu-Metal phase I struggled with. 😁

I used to buy Word Magazine too, when Q founders David Hepworth and Mark Ellen went off to start something new. That was a great mag, but it didn't last a fraction of the length of time Q has managed.

There's nothing online to match or replace either of them.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I'm a fan of R.E.M. so I didn't mind the Stipe crush. It was their Nu-Metal phase I struggled with. 😁

I used to buy Word Magazine too, when Q founders David Hepworth and Mark Ellen went off to start something new. That was a great mag, but it didn't last a fraction of the length of time Q has managed.

I don't mind R.E.M., but Q did go a bit evangelical about Stipe's every utterance for a bit.

I moved on to Mojo, but after a few very good years, I saw the range of faces on the covers narrow more and more. Ooh look, the Beatles/Stones/Dylan again! The more adventurous Word and Uncut followed (some great cover CDs), then I gradually stopped buying magazines in general.

Q under Hepworth & Ellen was great, because they didn't see popular music as something to be po-faced, overthought and humourless about. They had regular updates on the progress being made by a made-up band (Comfort of Strangers, maybe?), entirely worded in PR cliches, and their small ads for tickets had a cartoon of a hand holding a ticket with "Dumpy: admit one" on it. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 20/07/2020 at 22:15, John Drake said:

The Quietus isn't bad.

Word was brilliant. And seemed to have a decent readership. I think I realised once that went then there wasn't much chance for any 'new' magazine.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 20/07/2020 at 15:07, John Drake said:

I am glad you mentioned this John. I bought it at the beginning though I thought it became too modern and mainstream. The layout as much as the content. 

I like Shindig, Prog magazine and classic rock. I read Mojo and Uncut too.