What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

My German learning continues to also involve random music that was popular there ages.

Or maybe not popular. I actually have no idea.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

She always seemed like she belonged in a Jane Austin novel.

Did they do much singing in Austin’s novel’s (up). I’m glad The Sundays remained largely unknown or virtually nonexistent to the tv audience. 

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

Did they do much singing in Austin’s novel’s (up). I’m glad The Sundays remained largely unknown or virtually nonexistent to the tv audience. 

Any group that came to prominence in the late 80s/early 90s no longer had the The Tube or Whistle Test to appear on. The few TV programmes I can mistily recall from those times that featured alternative music were on late at night, or in the middle of the night. 

Nonetheless, relative to similar groups, the Sundays weren`t that concealed from view. I definitely remember seeing them once on Top of the Pops, and with their first and third albums making the U.S. top 40 that must have translated into some attention over the pond too.

On 12/11/2008 at 23:52, Johnoco said:

This is the latest in a possibly occasional series inspired by random pages from the Neolithic period of this thread.-

TV Party could have been the theme tune for lockdown.

"We`ve got nothing better to do, than watch TV, and have a couple of brews."

Maybe needs a digital update - "PC Party"

On 12/06/2009 at 23:38, Ullman said:

Yeah yer feckers, you made me dig out the LP.

Just listening to Stargazer. My word Ronnie Dio has got a fantastic voice.

Ronnie James Dio deserves far more credit than he ever got. 

Chris Cornell`s vocal style was very similar. And Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, etc, all owed a lot to the sound of Rainbow Rising and Long Live Rock `n` Roll.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Any group that came to prominence in the late 80s/early 90s no longer had the The Tube or Whistle Test to appear on. The few TV programmes I can mistily recall from those times that featured alternative music were on late at night, or in the middle of the night. 

Channel 4 had a few attempts at reproducing the popularity of The Tube. The White Room and Naked City didn't last long, though. Then the early series of Later with Jools Holland did showcase some varied and interesting stuff, but I look at who's on it these days and it seem to have lost its way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Channel 4 had a few attempts at reproducing the popularity of The Tube. The White Room and Naked City didn't last long, though. Then the early series of Later with Jools Holland did showcase some varied and interesting stuff, but I look at who's on it these days and it seem to have lost its way.

I only remember watching one edition of Naked City which had Caitlin Moran interviewing Mark E Smith. (there is another Caitlin Moran who played for the Jillaroos in the 2017 WC. Really good player. Sunk without trace. Injury, presumably.)

I think it was on The White Room that Iggy fronted up in see-through pants. He would have been in his late 40s at the time.

A couple of years after The Tube was axed, Channel 4 "experimented" with that Club X arty chaos nonsense. Your old favourites Flying Testicle could have been the house band, - if Einsturzende Neubauten were otherwise engaged. My only clear recollection is of the Jesus and Mary Chain doing a track from the Automatic album.

42 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

A couple of years after The Tube was axed, Channel 4 "experimented" with that Club X arty chaos nonsense. Your old favourites Flying Testicle could have been the house band, - if Einsturzende Neubauten were otherwise engaged. My only clear recollection is of the Jesus and Mary Chain doing a track from the Automatic album.

I forgot Club X. Just about the only thing that comes to mind from that was Lemmy playing the piano at one point.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Nonetheless, relative to similar groups, the Sundays weren`t that concealed from view. I definitely remember seeing them once on Top of the Pops, and with their first and third albums making the U.S. top 40 that must have translated into some attention over the pond too.

You’re right about Alternative Bands mostly appearing in the early hours of the morning on a TV show.
I always remember the brilliant “Half Man Half Biscuit” appearing “Danny Kelly’s - Under The Moon”. I used to enjoy that show but i always taped it.
They (HMHB) never appeared on TOTP’s but i don’t think they would’ve wanted to go on it anyway. 

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Then the early series of Later with Jools Holland did showcase some varied and interesting stuff, but I look at who's on it these days and it seem to have lost its way.

I agree with your assessment of Later. Sonic Youth on one of the earliest programmes stands out.

Later came out of the Late Show, which for a while I got in the habit of watching at least the beginning of after Newsnight. Some scattergun recollections of The Late Show  -

Mealy-mouthed debates about the Satanic Verses.

Item about media coverage of the first gulf war - specifically Peter Snow`s sandpit.

Fractious encounter between Dr Johnathan Miller and mother-of-ten Victoria Gillick. Can`t recall the precise subject matter, but probably related to taste and decency.

And of the music - Public Enemy, Ice-T, Pixies, The Fall (2 tracks from Extricate), and the Stone Roses power cut.

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

There is the story that HMHB were due to be on The Tube but Tranmere Rovers were playing at home and they opted to go see them instead. I think that’s a genuine true story too.

And this was in the days when a TV appearance could really break a band. 

I think Nigel Blackwell is the only Tranmere fan in the band Johnoco(but i could be wrong). I’ve seen them a good few time’s now and they are excellent to watch and Mr NB is very dry and funny. I think after every gig they drive back home instead of staying in an hotel(but then again that may not be true). 

I remember last election
When the white folks was in action
Trying to get thyself a president (PM)

A colored man by the name of Bill Austin
Walked from New York to Boston
Just to find a colored sentiment

Now my brother Bill's a voter
Bill's a great promoter
Always looking for some good advice
So they told Bill to go to the polls
And vote?
Instead of voting once the fool voted twice

Love Pink Anderson!

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Tripping (non-chemically) to this while I wait to do the next bit of cooking.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

60s-70s Japanese Instrumental Cinema Funk Breaks & Beats

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 16/04/2021 at 19:44, Johnoco said:

There is the story that HMHB were due to be on The Tube but Tranmere Rovers were playing at home and they opted to go see them instead. I think that’s a genuine true story too.

And this was in the days when a TV appearance could really break a band. 

Tranmere played their home games on Friday nights at a time when it seemed strange for any weekend fixtures not to be played on Saturday afternoons. Presumably to avoid clashing with Liverpool and Everton.

The only other contemporary instance I can recall of a club deviating from the norm was Torquay United who, for some reason, played on Saturday nights. There was always E for evening kick-off in the classified results.

On 15/04/2021 at 01:28, unapologetic pedant said:

I agree with your assessment of Later. Sonic Youth on one of the earliest programmes stands out.

Later came out of the Late Show, which for a while I got in the habit of watching at least the beginning of after Newsnight. Some scattergun recollections of The Late Show  -

Mealy-mouthed debates about the Satanic Verses.

Item about media coverage of the first gulf war - specifically Peter Snow`s sandpit.

Fractious encounter between Dr Johnathan Miller and mother-of-ten Victoria Gillick. Can`t recall the precise subject matter, but probably related to taste and decency.

And of the music - Public Enemy, Ice-T, Pixies, The Fall (2 tracks from Extricate), and the Stone Roses power cut.

I love Sonic Youth but sadly i never got to see them, although i have seen Thurston Moore a couple of time’s. 

even though i am a big fan of Sonic Youth some of their LP’s are for me dreadful. It sounds as if they have given their instruments to some apes for an hour and they’ve said “whatever tune the apes make with the instruments we’ll make that our next album”. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Long trip. - slow cooker?

Only listened to bits. Reminds me of a group called Audience.

There are some parts that are a bit like Van der Graaf Generator at times, too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson