What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Josef K said:

I love Sonic Youth but sadly i never got to see them, although i have seen Thurston Moore a couple of time’s. 

even though i am a big fan of Sonic Youth some of their LP’s are for me dreadful. It sounds as if they have given their instruments to some apes for an hour and they’ve said “whatever tune the apes make with the instruments we’ll make that our next album”. 

Trouble is, it`s not easy distinguishing the aimless noise and noodling from the stuff that just needs time to grow on you. I was distinctly underwhelmed by "Goo" until I went back and reassessed it after "Dirty" came out.

The two late-80s Peel sessions they did were a mixed bag.  One was a long instrumental soundscape. (your "apes" might have had a hand in that).

The other consisted of 4 covers of tracks by The Fall. Blistering versions of "Psycho Mafia", "Rowche Rumble", and "My New House". But also "Victoria", which The Fall had recently covered for a single. 

So, Sonic Youth covering The Fall`s cover of "Victoria" by the Kinks. - I suppose everything is art when you`re based in NYC.

BTW, whenever I dig out a Sonic Youth album from my collection, the eye is always caught by the adjacent Sonics compilation "Psycho-Sonic". For me, they are the ultimate 60s garage band.

On 17/04/2021 at 21:38, Futtocks said:

60s-70s Japanese Instrumental Cinema Funk Breaks & Beats

In the early 90s there were a number of producers combining movie samples with funky grooves and beats. Long-forgotten desultory 12inches on obscure labels.

The only artist of that ilk who has stuck in my mind is Depth Charge, who favoured martial arts and trash film samples, plus a memorable piece of Brazilian Soccerball commentary.

So long, Jim Steinman, the man behind Meat Loaf and Pandora's box, as well as his own album. Never knowingly understated.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

So long, Jim Steinman, the man behind Meat Loaf and Pandora's box, as well as his own album. Never knowingly understated.

Have I mentioned I'm learning German this year? I am, you know, I'm learning German.

Anyway, one of the sheer delights has been finding out, about 25 years after the fact, that Tanz der Vampyr exists (in German originally, then French, then completely bombed in its one English production).

So here's a compilation of bits that I am no way choosing to share because it features lots of Helene Fischer:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Have I mentioned I'm learning German this year? I am, you know, I'm learning German.

Anyway, one of the sheer delights has been finding out, about 25 years after the fact, that Tanz der Vampyr exists (in German originally, then French, then completely bombed in its one English production).

So here's a compilation of bits that I am no way choosing to share because it features lots of Helene Fischer:

Just had a quick listen, and he's recycled the melody of 'Original Sin' for the second song.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just had a quick listen, and he's recycled the melody of 'Original Sin' for the second song.

There's a shedload of reused material. Including, obviously, Total Eclipse of the Heart brought back as the vampire love duet it was, apparently, always written as.

What a guy.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 21/08/2008 at 02:19, Johnoco said:

Adicts -Viva La Revolution

I thought I was on this 'video' but I think it is from the 100 Club (not the Palm Cove).

Dug out "Songs of Praise" for a spin after seeing this. Much as remembered - mainly sozzled singalong fodder.

Next to it on the shelf is another album from 1981, the first by the Adolescents, which is a bona-fide L.A. punk classic.

On 21/08/2008 at 12:37, Johnoco said:

I could be wrong but isn't it a guy from a band called 'Fudge Tunnel'?

Fudge Tunnel`s "Hate Songs in E Minor" was the first album on Earache I actually enjoyed listening to.

Prior to that, stuff like Napalm Death and Carcass had gone in one ear and out the other, leaving not exactly earache, more an inkling of nebulous metal guitar and grunting.

On 29/09/2008 at 01:03, Johnoco said:

Not exactly one of my favourites but it bring back such memories of summer 86. :)

Janice Long played this a lot. First time I heard it, could have sworn he was singing Camel-flage. - some kind of disease like mange, maybe? To quote the man himself from the track Mexican Radio - "No comprende, it`s a riddle".

On 07/08/2009 at 21:19, paley said:

I saw Nirvana before Grohl joined them, their drummer at the time looked like a gonk, all long hair.

I got Nirvana`s Bleach as a chance buy in 1989. Peel had played 4 or 5 tracks in one show, and there was a positive review in the NME. Also, I`d liked early Mudhoney and the Sub Pop singles club releases.

After that I completely forgot about them. I was paying more attention to Techno and House than guitar bands at that time.

So when a couple of years later, I heard that "Nirvana" were number 1 on the billboard album chart, I thought it had to be a poppy vocal group with the same name. There had already been an English Nirvana in the 60s (Rainbow Chaser). It just didn`t compute that it could be the band who had recorded Bleach. To me, it seemed as plausible as Tad topping the American album chart.

And I still prefer Bleach to Nevermind.

Edited by unapologetic pedant

On 16/08/2009 at 23:28, timtum said:

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9VJuM8-lao

Truly awful but of its time

Don`t know what this video is, but if it`s RLYL, it`s highly unlikely to be "truly awful". - Unless you are a philistine.

The "Smashed Hits" compilation is essential to the more discerning listener`s collection.