What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Earache records now have some artists that are more traditional rock or rock/blues (like Blackberry Smoke) or Temperance Movement and they have enjoyed fairly mainstream success. A world away their origins 

Just listened to a couple of tracks by Temperance Movement. - "traditional" is very much the word.

That`s the trouble for an old codger music fan these days. Everything "new" that you hear sounds like a thousand other things you`ve heard a million other times.

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

That`s the trouble for an old codger music fan these days. Everything "new" that you hear sounds like a thousand other things you`ve heard a million other times.

That's the ears that hear it and what's in between them, U P.

Though there's shed loads of very derivative stuff around, it has to be said.

I have this fear that I'll be enjoying a load of music and more than half it will be the result of Simon Cowell's involvement!

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I was reminded I had these two by a discussion on LBC with a representative of a right wing think tank where they described BLM as good salesmanship!  & marketing.

this one should go on here alongside them

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

The first Charles Mingus album I ever bought.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/04/2021 at 23:49, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Up until a few hours ago I'd never heard of Spanky Wilson. Now after hearing this song... 

...I've been listening to a lot more of her. 😀

There is an excellent version by Ella Fitzgerald as well

• Like 2

12 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Second or third for me. (first was Pithecanthropus Erectus).

I started with Mingus Ah Um.

• Like 1

"And as I'm looking at the color of the leaves in your hand
As we're listening to Chet Baker on the beach in the sand"

"Smearing their eyes on the crazy Kali goddess
Listenin' to sounds of Mingus mellow fantastic."

Tons and tons of irrefutable evidence that the title of this song is completely untrue, but it's such a good song though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I don't know who Alexis Petridis is, but he seems quite bitter about something.

Who will history recall, Petridis or Van Morrison, I wonder?

Judging by what I've heard of Van Morrison's recent work, I suspect Alex is close to hitting the nail on the head. It has been a long time since I heard Morrison sound like he was making an effort - maybe his performance in 'The Last Waltz'. Or perhaps the Bang! Contractual Obligation Album.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

An album in the style of The Beatles, generated by artificial intelligence software. Somewhat unsettling, but occasionally it throws up some fascinating passages.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

An album in the style of The Beatles, generated by artificial intelligence software. Somewhat unsettling, but occasionally it throws up some fascinating passages.

Lo-fi Beatles played backwards. Needs Jeff Lynne to tidy it all up.

If the A.I. generated a version of Helter Skelter, would it be more dangerously suggestive played backwards or forwards?

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

As a follow-up, and based on the evidence of the A.I. Beatles, here`s my top 5 vocalists whose A.I. concoction wouldn`t sound that different from the real thing in terms of timbre and unintelligibility.

5 - Robert Smith

4 - Lydia Lunch

3 - Elvis Costello

2 - Billy Mackenzie

1- Elizabeth Fraser

RIP Tawny Kitaen.

Ralph Waldo Emerson