What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The fountains of Wayne.

These somehow completely avoided my radar in the 90s. Now working thru the back catalogue 

If you've just discovered them, you will probably have missed this affectionate mickey-take too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

One for the Groove Armada fans...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I... don't really know what to think!

• Confused 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Something interesting from the Ryedale Festival. Declared interest; my dad was one of the festival's co-founders and I worked on it for 16 years. Now under different management, but still booking some intriguing performers.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

48 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

But If you listen to Funky Gibbon......it actually is quite funky. 

Bill Oddie is seriously into music, and I think he'd been listening to Stevie Wonder when that record was created. That keyboard sound, especially.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Yes, around April 1975. Moments and Whatnauts, Pans People...beautiful Babs...jumpers for goalposts. 

But If you listen to Funky Gibbon......it actually is quite funky. 

What stopped me using the phrase "novelty records" was that Funky Gibbon is indeed a more than decent piece of music.

I like the Paul Williams(Temptations)-style baritone interjections from Graeme Garden.

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Bill Oddie is seriously into music, and I think he'd been listening to Stevie Wonder when that record was created. That keyboard sound, especially.

Bill Oddie released records on Peel`s Dandelion label. Don`t normally check things, but I have been on Wiki to make sure I wasn`t imagining that.

12 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Yes, around April 1975. Pans People...beautiful Babs 

Babs left along with Dee Dee later that year when the final version of Pan`s People was formed. That line-up didn`t last long, replaced by the unisex Ruby Flipper, who also didn`t last long, but did groove their way through the long hot 76 summer.

10 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Huggy Bear 

Huggy Bear has to be the most unconvincing character in the history of TV. Not the actor, but the role. A jive-ass dude providing cops with "the word on the street" wouldn`t last 5 minutes in the real world.

6 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Ruby Flipper were indeed the replacement for PP but I can’t remember any of their routines. Unlike PP 😎

I`d recommend their interpretations of Diana Ross - "Love Hangover". And Bee Gees - "You should be dancing". This latter routine predates John Travolta`s handling of the matter in Saturday Night Fever.

Both available on YouTube. 

On 18/05/2021 at 13:50, unapologetic pedant said:

Both available on YouTube. 

Along with the million cats and really interesting ideas of what to do with popcorn.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political