What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

On 23/11/2021 at 22:19, voteronniegibbs said:

I never got into The Smiths when they were "the big new thing". Although there are a few songs that I like.

But this track has been an earworm for a few weeks.

I thought The Smiths were excellent. As for Morrissey I don’t think he has done anything decent since 1995, he just seems a very bitter man today. I’m surprised he hasn’t asked GB News can he do the theme tune for the hourly news. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/10/2021 at 21:27, Leeds Wire said:

I remember in 92 trying to get hold of the twelve singles they did that year. I got them from a record shop called “Our Price” (i think), the shop was only entitled to ten singles per month. It was a mad panic, so i used to wait outside the shop until it opened up and then i could get hold of one. I got warned off my then boss for bunking off work and then try to sneak back. So after that i told my mum & dad and girlfriend to get to Our Price for 8.50am before it opened at 9. In the end i managed to get all twelve singles, and i got singles one & two signed. Then i sent off for “The Hit Parade” black box from TWP. I think they were based in Leeds then (now it’s Brighton). I remember them appearing on TOTP’s, i used to tell everyone to watch them. Sadly no one impressed with them. I remember them appearing on TOTP’s with the song Brassneck, and i don’t think Mr Gedge opened his mouth more than a couple of times.
I won’t be buying the singles from this latest thing they’re doing, as i don’t bother with vinyl anymore. But id never get rid of all their vinyl i have bought. But that’s the same with Half Man Half Biscuit, Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, The Sundays, and loads of others. 

The Smiths - a talented guitarist, an adequate rhythm section, all deflated by a preening, gargling, one-note fop, whose raging egomania was pumped up to insane levels by ageing rock hacks who wanted to promote him as the "edgy" poet of a generation much younger than their actual own. A mid-life crisis idol.

Even back then, the mask slipped at times, but his acolytes were able to gloss it over with wishful thinking and delusion. Now he's still the same egotistical, contemptuous and hate-fuelled bawbag, but far too overt for even a retired NME columnist to ignore.

One of the few positives of the 21st Century is that now everyone but a tiny minority of truly deranged cultists accepts that he's exactly the person he's always been.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Smiths - a talented guitarist, an adequate rhythm section, all deflated by a preening, gargling, one-note fop, whose raging egomania was pumped up to insane levels by ageing rock hacks who wanted to promote him as the "edgy" poet of a generation much younger than their actual own. A mid-life crisis idol.

Even back then, the mask slipped at times, but his acolytes were able to gloss it over with wishful thinking and delusion. Now he's still the same egotistical, contemptuous and hate-fuelled bawbag, but far too overt for even a retired NME columnist to ignore.

One of the few positives of the 21st Century is that now everyone but a tiny minority of truly deranged cultists accepts that he's exactly the person he's always been.

Cold Case Files.

Taken 36 years, but I think we`ve found the culprit who threw the sausages.

• Haha 1

On 29/11/2021 at 23:43, Futtocks said:

Don't beat around the bush and sugar coat it tell us what you really think!

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I’ve got tickets to watch Grandaddy in Manchester next April, they’re a band i have always wanted to watch. I’m managed to persuade a nephew to be my taxi driver. I am really excited about seeing them because i think they’re a top quality band. I don’t know if it clashes with a Saints home game but for these i don’t care. 

Emilie Mayer was a recent featured composer on Radio 3. I missed it, but my dad just called me to say she's really good. So I had a listen and, once again, he's spot on. Never even heard of her before, but this is great!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I may have posted this before, but what the hell. Anyone recognise themselves?

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On a Christmas theme, and thanks to Twitter and Ian Hislop.

Ralph Waldo Emerson