What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judee Sill - Heart Food (from the 'Abracadabra' reissue)

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes (Disc 1 of the 2010 reissue)

I finished off with a really stunning vinyl rip of 'Son of a Preacher Man' from Dusty Springfield. Amazing that a song recorded in that hard right/hard left stereo from the early, gimmicky days of the technology* could still sound so natural. But her voice sounds so very real.

*like some of the early Beatles albums, with various instruments shoved to the sides of the soundstage.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dam the Torpedos.... fabulous album....

I forgot to mention, I also queued up 'The Boys of Summer' by Don Henley. God almighty, it takes me back...

Written by Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers, just to tie things together.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I went to see Nils Lofgren in 78 at Sheffield City Hall.

Tom Petty was supporting him and was known to hardly anyone. He blew Lofgren away....

One of the Memsahib's fav acts.... she still drools over TP

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I went to see Nils Lofgren in 78 at Sheffield City Hall.

Tom Petty was supporting him and was known to hardly anyone. He blew Lofgren away....

One of the Memsahib's fav acts.... she still drools over TP

My sister bought 'Damn the Torpedoes' because she thought Tom looked pretty hot on the cover photo. She went off him a bit when she saw a photo of him in profile, with the 'schnozzle rudder' in full view.

Whatever; I inherited the LP and have loved the album ever since.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nothing quite like this bunch, especially on the 'Stop Making Sense' film. 

Great album one of the best sounding live albums out there, Direct Metal Mastered as well

One of the best, if not the best, concert films ever made.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

One of the best, if not the best, concert films ever made.

'The Last Waltz' could have been better, but Scorsese had to continually kill the momentum with badly-lit, coked-up band reminiscences.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Proper glossy Eighties rock. Jean Beauvoir (The Plasmatics and countless other bands) plus, oddly. the guy who played keyboards on Nena's '99 Red Balloons'. And sundry other herberts with less notable CVs.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Nait 2 amp which has just returned from a well earned refurb at the Naim factory after 25 years of unbroken service. In all those years it's the only time it's been switched off apart from when we moved house.

The people at Naim have done a brilliant job. It sounds fantastic.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

My Nait 2 amp which has just returned from a well earned refurb at the Naim factory after 25 years of unbroken service. In all those years it's the only time it's been switched off apart from when we moved house.

The people at Naim have done a brilliant job. It sounds fantastic.

Good aftersales care, good electronics, good company, even if they did carry on using DIN sockets long after everyone else had gone RCA.

Any upgrades, or was it just a straight refurb?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good aftersales care, good electronics, good company, even if they did carry on using DIN sockets long after everyone else had gone RCA.

Any upgrades, or was it just a straight refurb?

Persisting with DIN was a strange one. I don't know what the rationale behind that was.

When I picked it up the bloke at the local audio store told me they'd replaced twenty four components. He started to list them but I stopped him. I couldn't even spell most of them let alone tell anybody what they do. I don't recall it ever sounding as good as it does now so I think some of those components might well be upgrades on the originals. 

There is something heartening in sticking with the gear you love n trust.

In 1981 my wife surprised me at Christmas with a marantz amp.... It remains my fav ever Christmas present.

It's still going and still sounds good.

My mission speakers I bought at the time finally gave up a couple of years back...

Much better stuff on the market now.... and I can afford better stuff....

But I still keep and use my old gear....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Persisting with DIN was a strange one. I don't know what the rationale behind that was.

When I picked it up the bloke at the local audio store told me they'd replaced twenty four components. He started to list them but I stopped him. I couldn't even spell most of them let alone tell anybody what they do. I don't recall it ever sounding as good as it does now so I think some of those components might well be upgrades on the originals.

Even the early Naim gear still are very desirable and hold there price really well, you cannot beat quality British engineering.

Talking of quality British engineering I got rather excited that Avid have started to get into the speaker market, this though was short lived when the standmounts started at £35000 !

Has anyone picked up a copy of the new Jazz magazine that came out last week. Decent value for the first addition £4,99 this issue includes a 180 gm copy of Miles Davis A Kind Of Blue, I was quite surprised what an excellent pressing it was.

Edited by westhuller

Even the early Naim gear still are very desirable and hold there price really well, you cannot beat quality British engineering.

Talking of quality British engineering I got rather excited that Avid have started to get into the speaker market, this though was short lived when the standmounts started at £35000 !

Has anyone picked up a copy of the new Jazz magazine that came out last week. Decent value for the first addition £4,99 this issue includes a 180 gm copy of Miles Davis A Kind Of Blue, I was quite surprised what an excellent pressing it was.

I couldn't believe how much second hand Nait 2s still sell for. Quality audio equipment is something British manufacturers do very well.