What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Has anyone picked up a copy of the new Jazz magazine that came out last week. Decent value for the first addition £4,99 this issue includes a 180 gm copy of Miles Davis A Kind Of Blue, I was quite surprised what an excellent pressing it was.

I saw the TV advert, but haven't been to a newsagent that carries DeAgostino partworks yet. I think I know a place that does, so I'll have a look when issue 2 comes out.  I already own 'Kind of Blue'.

Issue 2 is at a higher price, yes, but still competitive if the quality and condition is good.

Where did you get your copy?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sugden os another one who's prices never seem to drop.

LFD as well. Owners are reluctant to part with these brands, so the prices stay high.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I saw the TV advert, but haven't been to a newsagent that carries DeAgostino partworks yet. I think I know a place that does, so I'll have a look when issue 2 comes out. I already own 'Kind of Blue'.

Issue 2 is at a higher price, yes, but still competitive if the quality and condition is good.

Where did you get your copy?

I got mine from WHSmiths I think it's a John Coltrane issue up next

I got mine from WHSmiths I think it's a John Coltrane issue up next

John Coltrane next, then Billie Holiday.

While I think partworks in general are for mugs, even the full price issues (from #3 onwards) are well priced for the 180g market. And the extras you get if you subscribe seem quite decent: https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/jazz-vinyl/

Plus a £50 discount on a Pro-Ject USB turntable.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

John Coltrane next, then Billie Holiday.

While I think partworks in general are for mugs, even the full price issues (from #3 onwards) are well priced for the 180g market. And the extras you get if you subscribe seem quite decent: https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/jazz-vinyl/

Plus a £50 discount on a Pro-Ject USB turntable.

£14:99 is still good value for a 180gm vinyl record I agree, as I said the Miles Davis really is a super quiet pressing, realty good quality.

Here's one for Paul Kantner.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

To mark the death of Frank Finlay, I was watching 'The Deadly Bees' (1966). Early on in the film, you see a performance by a band called The Birds (not Byrds). Who's that familiar figure playing a pretty funky-looking guitar? Just Ronnie Wood!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

To mark the death of Frank Finlay, I was watching 'The Deadly Bees' (1966). Early on in the film, you see a performance by a band called The Birds (not Byrds). Who's that familiar figure playing a pretty funky-looking guitar? Just Ronnie Wood!

Ironic, really. These days Ronnie looks like a crow.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The bass player is Kim Gardner, who also played (with Ron) in The Creation, before Kim became the middle name in Ashton, Gardner & Dyke.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Time for another run through of sunburst finish..... In my top 5 albums ever... my top 5 choices vary almost day to day depending on mood, motivation, weather etc.

But sunburst finish and argue are constant top 5

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

£14:99 is still good value for a 180gm vinyl record I agree, as I said the Miles Davis really is a super quiet pressing, realty good quality.

I spotted the Coltrane one (issue #2) in Sainsbury's yesterday. As I have both the first two albums already, I'm still waiting before I buy. Not 100% sure I'll get the Billie Holiday one, but the Charlie Parker and Dave Brubeck issues are very tempting.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Strap yourselves in for possibly the most overwrought performance ever!

Ralph Waldo Emerson