What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

Just picked up the 2nd issue of the Jazz magazine series, John Coltrane ... Blue Train.

Sounds excellent again, my new Avid phono has bedded in really well sounds very smooth really easy to listen too.

I am going to have a look at one of the new Pro Ject record cleaning machines hopefully next week.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up the 2nd issue of the Jazz magazine series, John Coltrane ... Blue Train.

Sounds excellent again, my new Avid phono has bedded in really well sounds very smooth really easy to listen too.

I am going to have a look at one of the new Pro Ject record cleaning machines hopefully next week.

I just went through my collection and realised I don't have that album after all, so I'll be getting it this afternoon.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wharfdale Diamond 8.3, in very good nick

£55 inc auctioneer's commission

My first proper speakers were Wharfedales (Delta 30s). They make very good speakers at competitive prices.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just went through my collection and realised I don't have that album after all, so I'll be getting it this afternoon.

Well, I'm listening to it right now! The 'magazine' is really just an 11 inch square leaflet, but that's okay. If it was a full magazine, I probably wouldn't keep it for long, but this pops into the LP sleeve as extended liner notes. A subtle positive is that the barcode is on the packaging, not the LP sleeve, so you get a nice authentic look to the whole thing. The inner sleeve has an anti-static liner too. As the Fast Show's John Thompson would say, "nice!" ;)

A really quiet and clean pressing which, according to the sleeve, is the 2008 Blue Note reissue. I emailed Michael Fremer of the AnalogPlanet website in the USA about it and he was pretty gobsmacked that a partwork magazine was bringing 180g Jazz LPs out and they were selling in British supermarkets and corner shops.

So I uploaded a ripped track to DropBox for him, so he can hear and judge for himself, albeit a file created with far inferior hardware than he has at his disposal.

The music - well the only track I really knew well before this purchase was 'Blue Train' itself, but the rest of the album is wonderful too! Currently on 'I'm Old Fashioned' and loving it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, I'm listening to it right now! The 'magazine' is really just an 11 inch square leaflet, but that's okay. If it was a full magazine, I probably wouldn't keep it for long, but this pops into the LP sleeve as extended liner notes. A subtle positive is that the barcode is on the packaging, not the LP sleeve, so you get a nice authentic look to the whole thing. The inner sleeve has an anti-static liner too. As the Fast Show's John Thompson would say, "nice!" ;)

A really quiet and clean pressing which, according to the sleeve, is the 2008 Blue Note reissue. I emailed Michael Fremer of the AnalogPlanet website in the USA about it and he was pretty gobsmacked that a partwork magazine was bringing 180g Jazz LPs out and they were selling in British supermarkets and corner shops.

So I uploaded a ripped track to DropBox for him, so he can hear and judge for himself, albeit a file created with far inferior hardware than he has at his disposal.

The music - well the only track I really knew well before this purchase was 'Blue Train' itself, but the rest of the album is wonderful too! Currently on 'I'm Old Fashioned' and loving it.

Glad your enjoying it, I was really surprised at the quality of the pressing too. I'm a member of a couple of vinyl collecting groups on Facebook and our friends from across the pond are spitting feathers it's not available over there.

I'm just dipping my toes into jazz so theses releases are perfect for me.

Own up. It's a jazz mag.

:D;)

Or, to quote the sitcom Bottom, a "rhythm publication". B) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archie Roach - Summer of my Life. I can't find a clip on YouTube, but let's just say that if you've had a couple of drinks and you're feeling maudlin, don't play this song. Tears will occur. It is a song about an old woman who continues to visit the hospital bed of her dead husband and remembers his last words to her.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

J Dilla - Donuts. Imaginative stuff, although with 31 short tracks, it can leave you a bit bewildered as it shoots off in another direction every couple of minutes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Issue 3 of the DeAgostini jazz series is in my local Sainsbury's and it is Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin. This is the first full price issue, but I have to admit I'm tempted.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Issue 3 of the DeAgostini jazz series is in my local Sainsbury's and it is Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin. This is the first full price issue, but I have to admit I'm tempted.

Billie's "albums" are a bit of a lottery - I've mentioned before about artists from the pre-album era. She did record albums but my favourite Billie is the 30s stuff with Teddy Wilson and Lester Young. For the truly obsessed or just obsessive-compulsive, this is the most comprehensive discography I've ever seen for any artist.  http://www.billieholidaysongs.com/

Billie's "albums" are a bit of a lottery - I've mentioned before about artists from the pre-album era. She did record albums but my favourite Billie is the 30s stuff with Teddy Wilson and Lester Young. For the truly obsessed or just obsessive-compulsive, this is the most comprehensive discography I've ever seen for any artist.  http://www.billieholidaysongs.com/

The later stuff is the best-known, but her voice was past its peak at that point.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson