Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

My baby left me, he didn't say a word.

Crucial word there is HE.

Straight from the Mr & Mr Genet archives though she does also appear

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 05/01/2021 at 17:30, Futtocks said:

I'd forgotten about it, to be honest. The last time I visited the site was a few years ago, so thank you for jogging my memory.

Here's one I enjoyed: https://www.awesometapes.com/john-chibadura-and-the-tembo-brothers/ 

Ooh, I could talk about this stuff for hours...

I had the very great pleasure of meeting John Chibadura (sadly, he died in the late 90s) and occasionally still listen to tapes of his. Although Peel (& Andy Kershaw) would correctly refer to this as Zimbabwean music, he was actually more popular in Mozambique. The Sungura style (e.g. the below) is copying music from Zaire to which John added a reggae influence. Pretty much impossible for most African musicians to get visas to play concerts in the UK any more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

John Peel, sadly missed. 

I fell in love with Ska & Reggae by listening to his shows. He played an extraordinary eclectic mix of music, which no radio stations play these days.

Yep there were a few who were likely to cross alot musical boundaries then, but he was by far the most interesting and the width was spellbinding. I especially like the times he played something and said before or after that he wasn't sure he liked it but he'd play a few more times to see.

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

The Trojan back catalogue has been cannibalized and re-cannibalized so often, the permutations are labyrinthine.

Of those late 90s box set reissues, the Roots collection is by far the best. Almost all of the tracks are from the 70s, but it also includes one of my 80s favourites in any genre -- "Rise in the Strength of Jah" by the Viceroys.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oxford said:

Yep there were a few who were likely to cross alot musical boundaries then, but he was by far the most interesting and the width was spellbinding. I especially like the times he played something and said before or after that he wasn't sure he liked it but he'd play a few more times to see.

My definitive John Peel moment was switching on the radio as an ungodly racket ended, and John's imperturbable voice came in with "...and that was Flying Testicle... we'll be playing more from them later." Just about as Peel as you can get.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

My definitive John Peel moment was switching on the radio as an ungodly racket ended, and John's imperturbable voice came in with "...and that was Flying Testicle... we'll be playing more from them later." Just about as Peel as you can get.

I have the distinct feeling that "Flying Testicle" is a group you wish had existed. I`ll change my mind if some evidence is furnished.

Peel was routinely mistaken for Bob Harris by people determined to persuade themselves that they were fans. It even happened after his death when on a Radio 4 programme they read out a tribute from a listener who recounted how fondly he recalled watching John present the Old Grey Whistle Test. This bloke went into effusive and meticulous detail. It had been such an important part of his life. The error was acknowledged the following week.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I have the distinct feeling that "Flying Testicle" is a group you wish had existed. I`ll change my mind if some evidence is furnished.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/70883-Flying-Testicle

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Like an old brown photo that says so much more than the pose the favourite Peel moments are always a bit more than I was younger then, or things were better then .........

Is there anyone on the radio or on any other media outlet that is as telling and makes you question things as much?

Edited by Oxford

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, I take it all back. Looks like some kind of Japanese art-rock noise group. Maybe in the manner of Melt Banana.

Why would Peel have said there would be more later though? That would generally only be if they were in session, and they are not listed as having done one.

BTW, in relation to Oxford`s post on the previous page, when checking the list I noticed Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup recorded a session in 1970. That would have been when the programme was called Top Gear.

On 12/01/2021 at 12:56, Oxford said:

Added to this in order to move on and remain relevant he was looking for and at some quite odd, outside the box and even questionable stuff. There were times I'd sit though a progarmme and ask why would anyone play this rubbish? So I can't agree entirely with your point about his endorsement but the programme was great none the less.

There`s so much music out there that you have to trust filters. Maybe club or radio DJs, record labels, or writers in the music press. Nothing is 100% reliable, since no two individuals have identical tastes.

50 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There`s so much music out there that you have to trust filters. Maybe club or radio DJs, record labels, or writers in the music press. Nothing is 100% reliable, since no two individuals have identical tastes.

Trust filters?

Yes nothing is 100% but then there's John Peel! And I'd even take his questionable taste moments than alot of others very best.

You also have to take a look at who's involved in controlling/producing music now and how often DJs seem to perform a reflection of audience views now for comparison.