What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I was listening to the first Specials album. Never disappoints ?  

Marley was a big supporter of the punk movement and in particular the clash - he even had a poster of them on his studio wall. I reckon he would have approved of this version. Bad brains also cite str

Posted Images

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

White Noise - An Electric Storm (1969). A band featuring, amongst others, Delia Derbyshire from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. Interesting. The link is for a YouTube playlist of all seven tracks.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

"See that little Jersey girl in the see-through top
With the peddle pushers sucking on a soda pop
Well I bet she's still a virgin but it's only twenty-five to nine
You can see a million of 'em down on heartattack and vine"

When I was a teenager in the 90s I spent a year living in a place called Moss Side in Manchester. It had a bad reputation for crime, but there was a great pirate radio station called Frontline FM that played mostly reggae music.

However, every Wednesday morning (I think) there was a guy who would play contemporary African music. I taped his show one morning and kept the tape for years, eventually buying the albums of all the singers on that morning’s show. 

On a day like today, when the sun is shining but it’s cold outside, it’s great to sit by the window and bake in the sun rays listening to what I think is the ultimate chillout track for summer. Try it, might not be to everyone’s taste but for me there’s nothing better to take me to a warm place:

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

However, every Wednesday morning (I think) there was a guy who would play contemporary African music. I taped his show one morning and kept the tape for years, eventually buying the albums of all the singers on that morning’s show. 

Ever come across this website before? Awesome Tapes from Africa They sell some recordings, but most of the cassettes shown in the blog are free MP3 downloads.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Ever come across this website before? Awesome Tapes from Africa They sell some recordings, but most of the cassettes shown in the blog are free MP3 downloads.

Cheers. I don’t know how you found that but that’s a load of new (old) artists to check out! All I need is a cassette player! 

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Cheers. I don’t know how you found that but that’s a load of new (old) artists to check out! All I need is a cassette player! 

I'd forgotten about it, to be honest. The last time I visited the site was a few years ago, so thank you for jogging my memory.

Here's one I enjoyed: https://www.awesometapes.com/john-chibadura-and-the-tembo-brothers/ 

• Like 1