What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

On 22/06/2021 at 13:16, unapologetic pedant said:

You`ll probably disagree with this if you`re a traditional Liberal Lefty.-

If I had licence to amend a Peter Tosh song, it would be - "Don`t Legalize it". We have enough problems with what`s already legal.

There's nothing liberal about me and I haven't been traditional for more decades than I care to remember

Here's something you don't see too often two genres for the price of one

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.nXUAFfDPtgTKomxwV1pslwHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.qRZBREtbVGeLp0ev1DnSpQHaFu%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I went to listen to some recent stuff and to say I was disappointed would not do it justice, I felt like the Day the Music Died was really here

so I went all nostalgia and sepia Polaroid photos

Through the letterbox this morning, and immediately listened to all the way through - Zappa '88. This the the final performance in the USA by his last ever touring band, the brilliant but fatally fractious* group you can also hear on the album The Best Band you never heard in your Life

Some similarities in the setlist, then, but plenty of differences too, in both song choice and performance style. Frank was also organising voter registration at his US gigs, so there's some talk from him during the show on that subject, and the band took a 20-minute intermission so fans could sign on to the voting register. There's a Beatles medley on Disc 2 that hasn't been officially released before.

*basically, everybody but Frank hated the bass player Scott Thunes. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another collaboration between Steve Kilbey of The Church and Martin Kennedy,  their 5th or 6th album together. Clips from album. 

Kilbey Kennedy / Jupiter 13
Aussie review courtesy of themusic.co.au by Guido Farnell

The Kilbey Kennedy collaboration between the church’s Steve Kilbey and All India Radio’s Martin Kennedy has yielded many wonderful tracks over the years. They return after four years with an album that comes wrapped in psychedelic prog references and takes us on epic interstellar adventures.

The slick and confident presentation of this album reflects its creators' mastery of their craft. The cosmic drift of Jupiter 13 offers a soothing, immersive, dreamy vibe intended to cocoon listeners and transport them far from Earth where they can luxuriate in zero gravity for a while. Kilbey brings the wistful shoegaze of the church to the mix. His earnest vocals suggest Major Tom, seemingly strung out in heavens high. Kilbey also steers this album on a sweet indie pop course and this approach compliments the spellbinding swirl of Kennedy’s rich synth textures and melodies.

As we ride through these massively anthemic tunes, it's not hard to imagine the duo presenting this album on the same gigantic scale on which Roger Waters presents Pink Floyd albums these days. Across ten minutes the title track shifts through a variety of moods and atmospheres, building itself up into driving indie shoegaze before relinquishing into a beautiful piano interlude.

This album shimmers with a strange beauty that’s accentuated by dark and haunting undercurrents.

This from a previous album,  such a great track and video. 

Edited by HawkMan

Some Church trivia: My younger sister went to high school with Steve Kilbey. I went to the next high school up the road with Peter Koppes. I even knew him socially and jammed with him a couple of times when he was still a drummer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Some Church trivia: My younger sister went to high school with Steve Kilbey. I went to the next high school up the road with Peter Koppes. I even knew him socially and jammed with him a couple of times when he was still a drummer.

Yeah I just love The Church,  what a brilliant band. Virtually unknown here in the UK, but their live tours here get good audiences.  Got all their stuff and Kilbey's solo work.

Edited by HawkMan

27 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Yeah I just love The Church,  what a brilliant band. Virtually unknown here in the UK, but their live tours here get good audiences.  Got all their stuff and Kilbey's solo work.

I remember Q magazine always had a good word for them, but they were one of many good bands from Down Under who had critical acclaim, but never reached critical mass to really break the UK & US markets.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, HawkMan said:

psychedelic

Is it still 1967 in Oz then?

If so Mr DJ can you play me Forever Changes please?

On 28/06/2021 at 19:47, Futtocks said:

I remember Q magazine always had a good word for them, but they were one of many good bands from Down Under who had critical acclaim, but never reached critical mass to really break the UK & US markets.

Starfish did go fairly high on the billboard album chart. I think there was a hit single from it that helped. Probably got some college radio play.

I remember The Church signing to Cooking Vinyl in the late 90s around the same time as XTC. 

• Like 1

Glad a few folks on here have heard of The Church,  my favourite band.

Steve Kilbey actually is the record holder of number of songs registered with the Australasian Performing Rights Association , over 1000 original songs.

I judge success of a band by number of studio albums and they've had over 20 not including limited special releases. Record companies tend not to keep throwing money at groups that don't sell.

Starfish was their best seller over here with Reptile as a track from it.

Keeping it Australian for the moment.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Keeping it Australian for the moment.

Yes The Triffids,  I have the Black Swan lp. Best known down under band here has to be Crowded House, who morphed from Split Enz. 

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I have the Black Swan lp

I bought that LP when it came out, but the band did some re-issues on CD in 2007-2008, which are worth seeking out. Each album was released with lots of extra material that was (mostly) actually worth listening to, and well-packaged, including booklets based on David McComb's songwriting notebooks. They went on the market at very reasonable prices, too.

I found it worth buying these versions of The Black Swan, Calenture, Treeless Plain and Born Sandy Devotional, despite already having LPs of the first three.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Glad a few folks on here have heard of The Church,  my favourite band.

Steve Kilbey actually is the record holder of number of songs registered with the Australasian Performing Rights Association , over 1000 original songs.

I judge success of a band by number of studio albums and they've had over 20 not including limited special releases. Record companies tend not to keep throwing money at groups that don't sell.

Starfish was their best seller over here with Reptile as a track from it.

First record I bought by The Church was Heyday in the mid-80s, then I worked my way back. The EPs from 82-84 are especially fine.

Not their best album, but the Paisley shirts on the cover caught my eye in the shop, and in my mind they`re still associated with the U.S. Paisley Underground groups.

Not sure I would take prolificity as my musical benchmark. Could end up listening to endless James Last.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

those shirts!

Someone saw that album cover and legged it down to the local soft furnishings supplier.

39921516-9314291-The_founder_and_directo

Ralph Waldo Emerson