What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To celebrate the career of the late Trevor Bolder, last night I listened to The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

To celebrate the career of the late Trevor Bolder, last night I listened to The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

No better way.

Bit of journalistic license as far as the history goes, I feel, but I agree with the sentiment that the Spiders should have some kind of lasting memorial in their home city.

How the Spiders from Hull changed rock music for ever

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Latest 2nd-hand LP purchases:

• Candi Staton - Music speaks louder than Words
  • Dr Hook - Pleasure and Pain
  • King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
  • Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - United
  • Mike Oldfield - Impressions
  • Warren Zevon - Stand in the Fire

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Latest 2nd-hand LP purchases:

• Candi Staton - Music speaks louder than Words
  • Dr Hook - Pleasure and Pain
  • King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
  • Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - United
  • Mike Oldfield - Impressions
  • Warren Zevon - Stand in the Fire

Lord have mercy that's a good trawl....

I was sat having my morning coffee today and France 2 morning show had the break music as.......

Lord have mercy that's a good trawl....

I spent a bit more than I usually do, but it was worth it. I've also upgraded the isolation platform for the turntable, and taken delivery of a new DAC/ADC/Headphone amp, so there will be a lot of listening and several vinyl rips over the next few weeks. Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I spent a bit more than I usually do, but it was worth it. I've also upgraded the isolation platform for the turntable, and taken delivery of a new DAC/ADC/Headphone amp, so there will be a lot of listening and several vinyl rips over the next few weeks.

Which Dac Futtocks spill the beans

Which Dac Futtocks spill the beans

The Furutech ADL Esprit. I had the TOSLink (from DVD Recorder) and Coaxial (from TV) inputs working last night, but couldn't extract the driver for USB operation from its *.rar file. I've done that on my work computer (which has WINRAR on it) and will be installing it this evening. Sounds excellent already - can't wait to feed it some high-resolution FLAC files!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Furutech ADL Esprit. I had the TOSLink (from DVD Recorder) and Coaxial (from TV) inputs working last night, but couldn't extract the driver for USB operation from its *.rar file. I've done that on my work computer (which has WINRAR on it) and will be installing it this evening. Sounds excellent already - can't wait to feed it some high-resolution FLAC files!

Try Naim Label they usually have couple of free hi res downloads on there site might not be to your taste but they give you an idea on what the quality is like.I turned all the digital circuitry off on my CD player and used an external dac the results were like night and day.

A lot of the 'audiophile' labels tend rather too much in the direction of polite, chin-stroking, beautifully recorded jazz-lite tedium or all-too-predictable classical selections, but there is more and more stuff becoming available. The Find HD Music search engine is worth checking out, although not all American sellers will allow foreign customers to create an account.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I turned all the digital circuitry off on my CD player and used an external dac the results were like night and day.

I use the tuner in my DVD player for most of my radio listening, as DTV has a higher bitrate than DAB - Radio 3 through the DAC is really very good. As for CD, I haven't actually played a disc in ages. When I buy a CD, it immediately gets ripped to the external hard drive and backed up, then I play the files through the laptop.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

As regards the Furutech, the accompanying leaflet and the website FAQ page don't really address all the setup issues, so there'll be a bit of experimentation with playback and recording settings before I've worked everything out for optimal performance.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A lot of the 'audiophile' labels tend rather too much in the direction of polite, chin-stroking, beautifully recorded jazz-lite tedium or all-too-predictable classical selections, but there is more and more stuff becoming available. The Find HD Music search engine is worth checking out, although not all American sellers will allow foreign customers to create an account.

The Polite Chin Strokers, there's one for the 'name an indie band' thread.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.