spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

There's a right commotion in our garden this morning, with a flock of redwing trying to devour the ripe rowan berries.  Our resident blackbirds are not happy about it at all.

I'll try and get some photos but I can't promise anything, as none of them seem to want to stand still for a picture... 

Masses of redwings and fieldfares piling into the country in the last few days. 

Lots of pink footed geese on the move.

Whooper swans moving though Calderdale this am.

• 1 month later...

Masses of redwings and fieldfares piling into the country in the last few days. 

Lots of pink footed geese on the move.

Whooper swans moving though Calderdale this am.

Saw a huge flock of fieldfare yesterday at White Gap on the road from Little Weighton to High Hunsley. There were scores of them.

Later on at Walling Fen there was the elegant sight of a little egret flying just overhead,

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen a bumble bee flying around outside.

On Christmas Day!!

Personally, I think

has slightly more fitting lyrics...
With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Personally, I think

has slightly more fitting lyrics...

Pfft

You can see three ships any Christmas Day if you take a stroll down the docks.

And the version Ritchie Blackmore and his mrs did is loads better.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I was in a car a couple of days ago,in Farndale (Yorkshire) and there were partridges everywhere. Never seen so many in one short stretch of road before.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was in a car a couple of days ago,in Farndale (Yorkshire) and there were partridges everywhere. Never seen so many in one short stretch of road before.

Futtocks, were they grey, or red legged, or both? 

Anyway, good news for the gamekeepers and shooters.

Futtocks, were they grey, or red legged, or both?

Anyway, good news for the gamekeepers and shooters.

I'm pretty sure they were the red legged variety. Good eating.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Saw only my second ever woodpecker on the willow tree alongside Barmston Drain today, absolutely chuffed to bits I was. I also saw goldfinches and a couple of wrens but I was rather less enamoured to see a robin.

Not bad for a rather urban part of North Hull.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

The firken Squirrel had eaten through a door into the cupboard that I keep the birdfood in. 

Next doors cat was sitting on the top of the cupboard and lo and behold when I opened the door the little burgger ran out. 

Does anyone know if squirrels are "homing"?

If I trap it how far away would I have to release it to stop it coming back? 

Any advice on traps? 

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

The firken Squirrel had eaten through a door into the cupboard that I keep the birdfood in. 

Next doors cat was sitting on the top of the cupboard and lo and behold when I opened the door the little burgger ran out. 

Any advice on traps? 

Squirrels are tree rats so I would have no qualms about putting a trap down that doesn't require you to release whatever you caught back into the wild, as it were.

I saw a dead fox in the churchyard, on the way back from Lidl today.

The bucolic rural paradise of North London, folks...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I saw a dead fox in the churchyard

Sounds like it was in a bit of a grave situation.

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Any advice on traps? 

Squirrel traps are usually designed to kill them. If it is chewing through a barrier you could daub some Bitrex on it to keep them away.

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Saw only my second ever woodpecker on the willow tree alongside Barmston Drain today, absolutely chuffed to bits I was. I also saw goldfinches and a couple of wrens but I was rather less enamoured to see a robin.

One of the little bleeders was on our feeders yesterday. I hope you told it to clear off back to its own side of the river.

6 hours ago, Bearman said:

Any advice on traps? 

Squirrel traps are available on the interweb IIRC. Just set one up in an area said critter is likely to access and put peanuts in the cage. We had to remove some squirrels who were living in the loft in the west wing of Longboard Towers. It didn't take long before they dandered into the cages. My understanding is that if you trap grey squirrels you have to kill them but I am not certain of the law.

There's not a lot of meat on a squirrel, so if you and yours are considering eating them you'll need one each at least. It might be worth trying ecureuil en brochette.

8 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

A great spotted woodpecker?

1 hour ago, longboard said:

Squirrel traps are available on the interweb IIRC. Just set one up in an area said critter is likely to access and put peanuts in the cage. We had to remove some squirrels who were living in the loft in the west wing of Longboard Towers. It didn't take long before they dandered into the cages. My understanding is that if you trap grey squirrels you have to kill them but I am not certain of the law.

There's not a lot of meat on a squirrel, so if you and yours are considering eating them you'll need one each at least. It might be worth trying ecureuil en brochette.

I have eaten squirrel, and it was quite tasty. Plenty of recipes online. I'd recommend casseroling the little beggars.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson