spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

7 hours ago, longboard said:

A great spotted woodpecker?

Aye, I think so. If I was a betting man then this would have been the fella.

Image result for woodpecker

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

15 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Aye, I think so. If I was a betting man then this would have been the fella.

Image result for woodpecker

You are right it is a male.

Great spotted woodpeckers are the most common of the three species in this country. It's pretty easy to notice them by their call.

11 hours ago, Bearman said:

I saw a yellow wagtail today. I dont think Ive seen one before. 

Bearman, yellow wagtails are usually summer visitors; they over winter in Africa. Grey wagtails are resident in the UK. Yellow is the most noticeable colour when we see them. They are usually seen around water. They are cracking little birds.

A pair of long tailed ti ts have just frequented the feeders out back.

Marvellous, starting to be very popular with all sorts of varieties of our feathered friends round here.

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

A pair of long tailed ti ts have just frequented the feeders out back.

Marvellous, starting to be very popular with all sorts of varieties of our feathered friends round here.

Only a pair? We call them the party birds as they descend in numbers when they visit our garden. At the weekend we had about 12 on a single feeder. They all snuggle up on a branch

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Only a pair? We call them the party birds as they descend in numbers when they visit our garden. At the weekend we had about 12 on a single feeder. They all snuggle up on a branch

Just one decent pair of ti ts is enough to keep me happy thanks.

On 18/01/2017 at 9:51 PM, Red Willow said:

There's a gang of them that turn up every day in our back garden. A bonny little coal ti t always tags along with them,

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Interesting. Not the first sighting then. Nobody else in the stadium seemed to notice it yesterday. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Interesting. Not the first sighting then. Nobody else in the stadium seemed to notice it yesterday. 

Starkly contrasting alternative viewing though, I think you'd agree.

On Look North tonight it showed red kites coming into people's gardens in 3's and 4's taking meat that had been put out for them, in Seacroft (NE Leeds)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

8 hours ago, Bearman said:

I emptied the ice out of the bird bath and refiled it with luke warm water. 

The birds loved it!! 

Image result for cartoon bird bath

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bearman said:

I emptied the ice out of the bird bath and refiled it with luke warm water. 

The birds loved it!! 

Fortunately for the cormorant I was watching in my dinner break, Railway Dock remained ice free.

Anyone else doing the big garden birdwatch?

I was looking forward to it this year as upto Thursday we had everything from crows to coal #### in the garden, including a tree creeper, red wings, fieldfares and waxwings.

Then the wetter warmer weather arrived and zilch! It's so bad I might not even bother as four wood pigeons won't get anyone excited. The bird feeder, usually filled daily, is untouched as is the feeder filled with mealworms. This is usually emptied in under 20 minutes.

Pish!