spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, ivans82 said:

Live in West Cumbria and Lapwings have all but vanished from this area although the fields and marshy areas where they used to nest are still the same don`t know why .

Sadly, also much less common than, say 20 years ago, around the New Forest and the river valleys around Salisbury.

This is the time of year when, with any luck, at dusk and in the night, you can hear or see a cockchafer beetle - a flying insect, called a 'maybug' in country parlance, and which makes an amazing, soft, droning noise as it approaches. (is this perhaps why German WW2 flying bombs were called 'doodlebugs', I wonder.)  

I have come across two in recent nights.  Like many flying creatures they are attracted by light, so may crash into your windows, making a surprisingly loud noise for a small creature.  That, however, is probably because they have strong casing on the wings, which looks like beautiful polished, grained wood.  There legs are bright red.  

My favourite insect!

On 5/14/2018 at 7:02 PM, BryanC said:

Peculiar, isn't it?

Twenty or so years ago, I remember flocks of 20-40 lapwings being commonplace. On our local moors, we used to have many skylarks singing on the wing during the summer months. Seemed like every few hundred yards or so. Good to see 'em coming back though.

We do still have more curlews than many areas, though.

Heard loads of skylarks over the last couple of days.

Even a good old fashioned Holderness sea roke didn't seem to dampen their spirits.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/31/herbicides-insecticides-save-british-countryside-meaows

From orchids and moths to hedgehogs and toads, our wildflowers and wildlife are dying out. Making the meadows safe again is a huge challenge – but there are glimmers of hope

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

This is the time of year when, with any luck, at dusk and in the night, you can hear or see a cockchafer beetle - a flying insect, called a 'maybug' in country parlance, and which makes an amazing, soft, droning noise as it approaches. (is this perhaps why German WW2 flying bombs were called 'doodlebugs', I wonder.)  

I have come across two in recent nights.  Like many flying creatures they are attracted by light, so may crash into your windows, making a surprisingly loud noise for a small creature.  That, however, is probably because they have strong casing on the wings, which looks like beautiful polished, grained wood.  There legs are bright red.  

My favourite insect!

My least fav. Hate the things, glad they don't appear in the north 

Edited by Red Willow

On 6/4/2018 at 9:11 AM, Bearman said:

For the last few years Coventry Council have been sewing wild flowers on road  verges.

The displays are fabulous.

You would imagine that its cheaper than mowing too?  So win win!

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 6/4/2018 at 9:11 AM, Bearman said:

For the last few years Coventry Council have been sewing wild flowers on road  verges.

Must take bloody ages to do that....why not just plant seeds instead?

They could always employ prisoners to do it as a sort of payback to society.

Although sometimes it's not such a great idea...

• Haha 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 6/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, Bearman said:

Of course there is a theory that the seeds were planted by Afghani opium farmers.

The main commercial opium poppies are the two-tone purple ones. Little-known fact: Australia produces about 50% of the World's opium.

In avian news, rare sighting of a black kookaburra:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-08/rare-black-kookaburra-spotted-wa-backyard/9845764

• 2 weeks later...

Got a great close up view of a marsh harrier this morning just by the road between Broomfleet and Ellerker, absolutely magnificent sight.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Ullman said:

Got a great close up view of a marsh harrier this morning just by the road between Broomfleet and Ellerker, absolutely magnificent sight.

Great sight - I'm envious!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Great sight - I'm envious!

First time I've ever seen one, well knowingly anyway. It was a great moment.

9 minutes ago, longboard said:

Cream crown?

It took off right near me so I saw more of its underparts. It was quite pale and greyish with distinctive black wing tips. Looking at the pictures of the males and females online, I'm pretty sure it was a male.

45 minutes ago, Ullman said:

It took off right near me so I saw more of its underparts. It was quite pale and greyish with distinctive black wing tips. Looking at the pictures of the males and females online, I'm pretty sure it was a male.

It sounds like it. The females and juveniles have the cream crown colouration. There should be plenty of marsh harriers around Blacktoft and surrounding areas at this time of year.

Edited by longboard

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Just heard my first cuckoo, in the New Forest about an hour ago.  Time to dust down the Frederick Delius CD, me thinks!

Not heard a cuckoo in my area for the last 3 years after never missing for as long as I can remember, are there other areas missing them.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:23 PM, Ullman said:

It took off right near me so I saw more of its underparts. I'm pretty sure it was a male.

Remind me never to date any ex "girlfriends" of yours.

6 hours ago, Rodill Rover said:

Not heard a cuckoo in my area for the last 3 years after never missing for as long as I can remember, are there other areas missing them.

There was a self imposed exile of Steve Reed from these parts for a while but he's back now.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Remind me never to date any ex "girlfriends" of yours.

That's exactly what Des Lynam said.

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:09 PM, longboard said:

It sounds like it. The females and juveniles have the cream crown colouration. There should be plenty of marsh harriers around Blacktoft and surrounding areas at this time of year.

I read somewhere that their numbers were increasing along the Humber.

I also saw a large bird of prey overhead not far down the road. I assumed it was a buzzard but the markings under its wings weren't like a buzzard's. I'm wondering now if it was the female partner of the male I saw.

18 hours ago, Ullman said:

That's exactly what Des Lynam said.

It seems rather apt during a FIFA World Cup that I should offer you the opportunity to slot one home.

(Said Caroline Cossey, moments before the romance ended...)

Des now sticks to female company that he knows has never had any sort of cosmetic surgery...

Image result for des lynam

• Like 1