spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

10 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I inspired him.

I presume he saw my effort and decided to show how it should be done.

As an analogy, I guess Wembley 2015 comes close.

Do you have bald eagles over there?

On 17/05/2020 at 16:15, Padge said:

Starlings coming in to land on our garden feeder this afternoon.

Starlings_PAJ_9029.jpg

Thanks, Padge - a great photo.

15 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Do you have bald eagles over there?

Eh?

Nope, not a native bird anyway but...

https://us.blastingnews.com/lifestyle/2019/04/uk-deploys-bald-eagles-to-keep-seagulls-away-from-popular-beaches-and-boost-tourism-002898771.html

I think golden eagles and white tailed eagles are our only native eagles as far as I know.

• Like 1
With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Eh?

Nope, not a native bird anyway but...

https://us.blastingnews.com/lifestyle/2019/04/uk-deploys-bald-eagles-to-keep-seagulls-away-from-popular-beaches-and-boost-tourism-002898771.html

I think golden eagles and white tailed eagles are our only native eagles as far as I know.

Thanks for the article.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I love birds but I hate starlings.

Silence of the Lambs' Spin-off Clarice in the Works

• Haha 1
With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I love birds but I hate starlings . We get infested by them and they bully everyone else out of it until they decide to get lost . Hideous noise as well 

Starlings are the teenagers of the bird world, hang around in gangs squabbling and making an annoying racket. 

They have beautiful plumage though. 

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, Padge said:

Starlings are the teenagers of the bird world, hang around in gangs squabbling and making an annoying racket. 

They have beautiful plumage though. 

Dead Parrot | Monty Python Wiki | Fandom

Went a bit further afield yesterday nice to see/hear Redstarts , Pied Flycatchers and reed Buntings , a few Cuckoos about and Great Spotted Woodpecker chicks could be heard in the nest cavity in an old tree thay have used for the past 5 or 6 years . 

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Seen a stoat and a bull finch today. Bullies round here are rare indeed....

Last night we saw a wren in the garden. The first one in 32 years

We've got a wren but don't see it that often - Mrs saw it last weekend so we know it's still around (there's at least one up at the allotments too who can often be seen rummaging in open compost bins). Not seen a bullfinch for a while although they have occasionally visited.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

We've got yellow waggies locally.... I was leaping up and down looking so daft when I clocked em

? Love it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Starling with its little darling in our garden.

PAJ_9062sm.jpg

PAJ_9081sm.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Me and my son (10 yo) made some bird boxes a couple of months back and put them up round our garden, more in hope than anything. Happy to say we have a pair of Blackcaps nesting in one and we think they have young. I'll try and get some pics.......proper made me happy,and we've also seen an influx of birds visiting our garden this year. It's nice to sit and watch them.

Edited by fatboystu
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fatboystu said:

Me and my son (10 yo) made some bird boxes a couple of months back and put them up round our garden, more in hope than anything. Happy to say we have a pair of Blackcaps nesting in one and we think they have young. I'll try and get some pics.......proper made me happy,and we've also seen an influx of birds visiting our garden this year. It's nice to sit and watch them.

Blackcaps? Wow. 

57 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Blackcaps? Wow. 

I've set my camera up to record the box. Someone has told me they could be coal ####, so now I want to know for sure. We had 6 feeding on the garden last week in a little group and they all looked like Blackcaps to me. We're lucky if they are.

Blackcaps normally nest quite low down in bramble or small bushes . The nest is usually very small just dead grass , bits of moss and maybe lined with hair ,and it`s so thrown together you can usually see right through the cup . Look forward to your pictures though ....Yesterday saw a Blue ###### using an old hollow rusty gate post on the entrance to a field to nest in , back and forth nearly every 30secs , tough job raising young .

One of the ways to tell if they are blackcaps, fatboystu, is to watch both adults, who, no doubt, are coming and going regularly with six mouth to feed.  Mr Blackcap gives the species its name; Mrs Blackcap, by contrast, has a rufus brown cap, which definitely ain't black!  As I recall, the coal titmouse (to give this type of bird its old, full, common name and hence avoid, I hope, the dreaded automatic censor!) does not have this gender-based colour distinction.