spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

While out the other day was talking to a bloke who was calling for his dog , He said his dog (a black greyhound) had got the scent of a fox . 5 mins later a fox shot through the fence , ran across the path in front of us , and ran off into the woods. About 10 secs later the greyhound appeared sauntering along cool as you like .Later on back on the road could hear the sound of young Woodpeckers , but no suitable trees anywhere near . Then noticed a hole drilled into a telegraph post and that`s where the nest was , thought it was just a myth that Woodpeckers would do this but have been proved wrong .

• Like 2

Well despite having had 4 Blackcaps in the garden feeding and a pair of Coal T**s. One of the Coal T**s had been seen going into the nesting box, neither of these took up the tenancy. The box has been nested in by a pair of Great T**s (no puns!) and they now have chicks! I've got some pics off the parents coming and going, I'll post them from my laptop in a bit ?

18 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Fine looking brown trout in the crystal clear waters of the River Hull at Wansford this morning. 

Bloody great big Koi Carp spotted in the ' clay hole ' at Hindley Green yesterday , water level drastically down bringing the fish to the surface 

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

DEER DEER AND MORE DEER around here in our village, good also to see Hedgehogs returning plenty of rabbits badgers but sadly we don't see many hares nowadays.

As for carp our local lake is full of them, its a pain in the neck we all take turns getting up early and looking out for Romanian gypsies and local pikies fishing for them I caught a group the other day with industrial fishing methods they might as well have had a trawler in the lake:(

Paul

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 18:12, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

For a bird, a sad, but inevitable, consequence of being albino or leucistic is that you stand out more when, for instance, your friendly, neighbourhood sparrowhawk drops by!  I hope your one survives!

On 28/04/2020 at 19:13, Padge said:

Old Frightfulls bird 

RobTRL_bird2.jpg.628356fffa6b26ac6c7e3ce30d4ae00d.jpg

On 28/04/2020 at 19:50, Old Frightful said:

I'll keep an eye out for said leucistic sparrow who, from now on, shall be known as Luke, and will post bulletins as to his/her well being.

For all Luke fans on here, I'm pleased to update that all is well and I spotted him again yesterday.

• Like 3
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 23/05/2020 at 15:17, fatboystu said:

Not the best picture, taken on my phone camera. This was taken last week.

20200426_163754.jpg

I have had a rethink about this, prompted by a close encounter in my garden yesterday with a young, newly fledged great titmouse; one came onto the bird feeder while I was just a few feet away playing with the dog, much to the parent's alarm.  I hadn't realised (or had forgotten) how much the top of a youngster's head in this species looks like a 'cap' and looking back at your pictures prompts me to revise my view.

• Like 1

Years ago the open cast coal mine where i live closed and they put back the land to how it was before (alledgedly) unfortunately for some reason they lined the bottom of the small beck running through the land with a type of thick plastic material .A firm has been hired to remove the plastic from the beck to make it more natural .A good project , as they are turning the waste into seats and picnic tables along the banks .This would be applauded any time but now , as they have ploughed through an area where we had nesting Dippers , Grey Wagtails ,Willow and Sedge Warblers , Whitethroats etc. , not only this but have been tidying up the hedges along the roadside forcing a Chaffinch and a Robin to desert their nests.(  A Song Thrush up to now is braving this out ) .The timeline on the job is April to October right through the nesting season . Is any thought given to this when theses things are planned , I know the work is needed but the timing is way out .

36 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Years ago the open cast coal mine where i live closed and they put back the land to how it was before (alledgedly) unfortunately for some reason they lined the bottom of the small beck running through the land with a type of thick plastic material .A firm has been hired to remove the plastic from the beck to make it more natural .A good project , as they are turning the waste into seats and picnic tables along the banks .This would be applauded any time but now , as they have ploughed through an area where we had nesting Dippers , Grey Wagtails ,Willow and Sedge Warblers , Whitethroats etc. , not only this but have been tidying up the hedges along the roadside forcing a Chaffinch and a Robin to desert their nests.(  A Song Thrush up to now is braving this out ) .The timeline on the job is April to October right through the nesting season . Is any thought given to this when theses things are planned , I know the work is needed but the timing is way out .

That sounds appalling, ivans82.  Who is doing the work and who awarded the contract and is paying for it?

Not much info about , will try and find out , but i`ve come across work being done around rivers/woods before and very often it turned out to be the National Trust .......not in this case though ........... Spoke to soon a £1.5m grant has been obtained by the West Cumbrian Rivers Trust .Full story under Keekle Beck Regeneration scheme .

Edited by ivans82

Dont start me about the NATIONAL TRUST they own half our village as someone left it to them in a will in the 1930,s the organisation is full of old army types who have never paid a penny in their lives and have no grip on reality.

* Free accommodation

*School fees paid

*Free food and drink 

They have nearly killed off our local pub twice after the old landlord (Over 40 years) was driven to despair over their rent increases over the years.