spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

Once again, we are hosting some serotine bats.  By British standards, these are big.  The wingspan is about 37cm; they look about starling size as they fly.

Each year they come for about a week and use the space in our roof; our house is a converted 19th century chapel, so probably ideal for bats.  They come and go via a whole in the woodwork at the apex of one of the gable ends.  Numbers rise and then fall, all in the space of that week or so.

I'm not sure why we seem to play this intermediary role in their annual life cycle, but it could be that these are pregnant females coming together over a few days prior to moving on to the venue of their maternity roost over the summer and early autumn.

They do make a great sight as they leave at dusk.  There were 16 last night.  Last year, we peaked at 42, all out through that same hole in the space of about twenty minutes!

• Like 2

Next door's cat appears to have turned into a hunter overnight. After 8 or so years of being happy just watching the birds come and go she has now decided to try and catch them. One of the local blackbirds had a very narrow escape the other day and this morning there was a very forlorn (and injured) looking pigeon hiding behind the water butt's. Unfortunately I can't get to it to see how bad it is but I'm not hopeful judging by the number of feathers all over the place. I'm a bit upset as I'm pretty sure that it's the bird I had a battle of wits with a few years ago when trying to make the seed feeders pigeon proof - it very nearly beat me! 

Is it just me or are there zillions of goldfinches everywhere you go at the moment? I don't have a problem with them or anything, in fact they are rather cheering, but I don't remember them being so common in previous years.

6 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Next door's cat appears to have turned into a hunter overnight

Tell your neighbour to stick a bell on its collar. Give the feathered types a bit of a warning of impending doom!

• Like 1

You have to wonder why at times , why did this snail climb all the way up this plant , and down the stems which are about 2mm wide ? 

Earlier I had something land in a bucket filled with water next to me , a grasshopper ! , Not seen one in years , when I was a kid they were everywhere , we'd chase and catch them walking home through the fields , fished it out and placed it on a plant to dry off 

IMG_20200620_182611.jpg

Edited by GUBRATS

On 19/06/2020 at 19:06, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Next door's cat appears to have turned into a hunter overnight. After 8 or so years of being happy just watching the birds come and go she has now decided to try and catch them. One of the local blackbirds had a very narrow escape the other day and this morning there was a very forlorn (and injured) looking pigeon hiding behind the water butt's. Unfortunately I can't get to it to see how bad it is but I'm not hopeful judging by the number of feathers all over the place. I'm a bit upset as I'm pretty sure that it's the bird I had a battle of wits with a few years ago when trying to make the seed feeders pigeon proof - it very nearly beat me! 

Do you know for sure the pigeon was the victim of the cat?

I only ask this as it may have been the prey of a sparrowhawk. I doubt a pigeon would survive a cat attack but I have seen pigeons survive sparrowhawk attacks when the bird of prey was spooked by a homeowner. And I'm not sure but I would say sparrowhawks spread more of it's victims feathers about than a moggie might.

In my garden today I noticed a female goldfinch flying with the local sparrow gang, is this summat that smaller birds do occasonally?

Is it mainly safety in numbers or are sparrows cooler to hang around with?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

39 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I only ask this as it may have been the prey of a sparrowhawk. I doubt a pigeon would survive a cat attack but I have seen pigeons survive sparrowhawk attacks when the bird of prey was spooked by a homeowner. And I'm not sure but I would say sparrowhawks spread more of it's victims feathers about than a moggie might.

In my garden today I noticed a female goldfinch flying with the local sparrow gang, is this summat that smaller birds do occasonally?

We do (or did as I've not seen it for about a year) a sparrowhawk so could be what you say and the cat was taking advantage? I've also discovered next door's cat has a doppelganger - as I came out of the house yesterday 'she' took off, which I thought unusual, but when I turned round she was sat on the lawn! The pigeon is still hiding behind the water butts and is looking quite perky. I'm throwing it some seeds and given it a bowl of water so will see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We do (or did as I've not seen it for about a year) a sparrowhawk so could be what you say and the cat was taking advantage? I've also discovered next door's cat has a doppelganger - as I came out of the house yesterday 'she' took off, which I thought unusual, but when I turned round she was sat on the lawn! The pigeon is still hiding behind the water butts and is looking quite perky. I'm throwing it some seeds and given it a bowl of water so will see what happens. 

It`s estimated that birds kill around 60 million birds a year in the UK  , it`s about time it was law for all cats to have to wear a bell when outside .Am sick of finding feathers of birds around , the 2 cats at the end of our row just sit under hedgerows waiting to pounce on anything that moves.

Time to redress the balance, if only slightly...

Eagle cam catches cat being fed to eaglets | Daily Mail Online

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Wondered why Mrs Pheasant was being so vocal, then spotted these (7 in total). 

IMG_20200621_121843.jpg

Isn't nature wonderful, with their impressive camouflage, I can only see two...

• Haha 2

On 10/06/2020 at 16:04, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Once again, we are hosting some serotine bats.  By British standards, these are big.  The wingspan is about 37cm; they look about starling size as they fly.

Each year they come for about a week and use the space in our roof; our house is a converted 19th century chapel, so probably ideal for bats.  They come and go via a whole in the woodwork at the apex of one of the gable ends.  Numbers rise and then fall, all in the space of that week or so.

I'm not sure why we seem to play this intermediary role in their annual life cycle, but it could be that these are pregnant females coming together over a few days prior to moving on to the venue of their maternity roost over the summer and early autumn.

They do make a great sight as they leave at dusk.  There were 16 last night.  Last year, we peaked at 42, all out through that same hole in the space of about twenty minutes!

Well, our annual visit by serotine bats seems to be over once again.  As before, they stayed for about ten days, but this time arrived rather later as, more commonly, they are here before the end of May.

This year the figures were down on some previous years, and fluctuated from day to day somewhat, compared to previous years.  The totals this year were as follows:

• Sunday, 7th June - 12 (possibly 14, but two went back in during the time I was counting)
  • Monday, 8th - 14
  • Tuesday, 9th - 16
  • Wednesday, 10th - 14
  • Thursday, 11th - 0 (I was a few minutes late getting out and the weather wasn't so good)
  • Friday, 12th - 3
  • Saturday, 13th - 9 (possibly 10, but one back in)
  • Sunday, 14th - 16 (possibly 18, but two back in)
  • Monday, 15th - 1
  • Tuesday and Wednesday, 16th and 17th - 0

On 19/06/2020 at 22:03, wilsontown said:

Is it just me or are there zillions of goldfinches everywhere you go at the moment? I don't have a problem with them or anything, in fact they are rather cheering, but I don't remember them being so common in previous years.

What a great sight that must be; I agree with you that they are a good way to cheer yourself up.  Here in South Wiltshire, we have sterady numbers, including to my garden feeders, but nothing on the scale that you seem to be enjoying.

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Flocking, including mixes of different species, is something that is quite common, but primarily after the breeding season.  We tend to think that means form Autumn onwards, but some birds will already have finished breeding, or failed to do so, and some flocks will start to build accordingly.  I once heard of a bird reserve manager who used to greet visitors in August by saying, "Are you enjoying your Autumn holiday?", much to the confusion of many of them.  But sooner, rather than later, some migrating birds will be on their way, and others will at least be showing Autumnal behaviour.

Of course, in a garden setting, at any time of year you will get species mixing, in that they will all be in the same area, especially around a bird feeder, at the same time.

51 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Of course, in a garden setting, at any time of year you will get species mixing, in that they will all be in the same area, especially around a bird feeder, at the same time.

That must be me then.

• Haha 1

Was out this morning and about half a dozen Whitethroats have started singing again , very strange , we have had a lot of rain over the past couple of days and it looks like they might have all lost their nests and are looking to go again as i have not seen any fledglings about  .

3 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Was out this morning and about half a dozen Whitethroats have started singing again , very strange , we have had a lot of rain over the past couple of days and it looks like they might have all lost their nests and are looking to go again as i have not seen any fledglings about  .

Is it that they are singing again, ivans82, or could it be that some other things are shutting up and so those birds still singing can be heard more easily?  I ask because just the other day, in The Times nature column, the point was being made that one of the most dominant - and beautiful - singers, the blackbird, is now shutting up, by and large, and will not be prominent again until early in 2021.