Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
voteronniegibbs

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

17 hours ago, Ullman said:

Good day yesterday, saw a barn owl really close up on the Aldbrough to Carlton road at midday then a roe roe deer just standing majestically by the roadside and the not too common sight of a yellow wagtail shortly afterwards.

I'm very envious, Ullman, one of the great bird sights!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

It was even kind enough to land on a hedge top so I caught a great view of it.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

On 18/05/2019 at 18:52, GUBRATS said:

Gutted , just checked , looks like the magpies have had them , bstards 

Spotted a wren last night with twigs in its mouth and then flying under the corner of my timber garden gazebo , just checked and spotted a new nest in the corner under the roof 

On 14/06/2019 at 11:02, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I'm on a bit of a roll. Saw another yellow wagtail yesterday, across the water in Lincolnshire this time.

Suddenly - if, I suppose, predictably - our garden seems to be absolutely teeming with birds, much more so than usual.  I think the explanation is that a number of nesting birds have fledged their youngsters at more or less the same time.  So, various titmouse species, house sparrows, dunnocks, blackbirds and song thrushes are all in abundance.  Also, there are more nuthatches and bullfinches than usual, so I think our year-round regulars of these species have successfully bred too.  Happily, not too many magpie or sparrowhawk visits to cause momentary mayhem and death for some.  The jackdaws tend to take over at times, but the other birds don't feel threatened by them, as far as I can see.

Conversely, there are a few species that we see at other times, but less so, or not at all, just now, so I assume they go elsewhere to breed; these include chaffinches and goldfinches (which surprises me a bit) and siskins (which doesn't)

An adult great spotted woodpecker is coming more frequently than usual, so may be feeding young in the nest.

Edited by Wiltshire Warrior Dragon
to avoid using a banned word

Lucky enough to see a barn owl out in the middle of the day at Lockington a couple of days ago. Got a great close up view of it as it flew alongside my bike for a few yards before veering back into the woods. 

Back at the weekend from a week's holiday in Whitby.

We went to Bempton Cliffs, the RSPB reserve, for a brilliant afternoon out.  Still time to see plenty of gannets, puffins, razorbills, guillemots, kittiwakes and fulmars - many with young - before they start leaving their nest sites and head out to sea.

And as a 'land' bird bonus, the spuggies around the feeders near the car park and visitor centre are not house sparrows, but the much rarer tree sparrow.

• Like 1

We have had two young tawny owls in our back garden.  

They seem to live in different trees and like to talk to each other long into the night.  

They are very loud - we have had to keep the kids windows closed because they kept getting woken up. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

We went to Bempton Cliffs, the RSPB reserve, for a brilliant afternoon out.  Still time to see plenty of gannets, puffins, razorbills, guillemots, kittiwakes and fulmars - many with young - before they start leaving their nest sites and head out to sea.

And as a 'land' bird bonus, the spuggies around the feeders near the car park and visitor centre are not house sparrows, but the much rarer tree sparrow.

Bempton is an amazing place. Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve May said:

We have had two young tawny owls in our back garden.  

They seem to live in different trees and like to talk to each other long into the night.  

They are very loud - we have had to keep the kids windows closed because they kept getting woken up. 

Are they making the characteristic adult male and/or female calls Steve, or are the calls a bit different?

They maybe hunger calling to their parents. They are dependent on their parents for up to three months after fledging. 

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

27 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Bempton is an amazing place. Glad you enjoyed it.

Tis a wonderful spot. It's well worth checking the hedgerows and fields for passerines etc during migration periods, particularly when there have been easterly winds. The cliffs and fields around Flamborough & Filey are good also.

It beats working!

• Like 1

Just watching the Arctic Tour of Norway bike race on Eurosport and the helicopter got a great close up shot of a white tailed eagle.

5 hours ago, Ullman said:

Just watching the Arctic Tour of Norway bike race on Eurosport and the helicopter got a great close up shot of a white tailed eagle.

Apparently, there is a plan to reintroduce this species to the Isle of Wight, which was, apparently, the last place along the English south coast where they nested; that was in 1780.