Sign in to follow this  
voteronniegibbs

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Certainly is. Didn't think we'd get to go this year but fortunately did. Not overly busy (probably because the overflow car park was shut) and easy to social distance - helped that everyone seemed happy to do so - even at the viewing platforms. Called for a paddle at North Landing on the way home too! Only slight disappointment were the big queues for the chippys in Brid so we gave that treat a miss. 

Wonderful photos mate, thank you 👍

Where's North Landing?

13 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Wonderful photos mate, thank you 👍

Where's North Landing?

Flamborough. It's a small cove with a good beach, caves and old lifeboat station. Big car park and cafe at the top of the cliffs. It was fairly quiet but can get very busy as it's the nearest beach to the huge Thornwick Bay caravan site. One thing we've noticed is that there's very little litter left behind by those using the beach.

Couple of pics from last year

IMG_20190714_155214.jpg

IMG_20190714_155218.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/07/2020 at 21:39, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Feels like summer now we've been to see these.

Unfortunately summer ends in West Cumbria around the 1st of  July most years , that blue splodge you notice at the top left hand part of England on the BBC weather map will be there until September when we usually get a couple of weeks of decent weather.........noticed with having to queue outside now for our local Fish and Chip Shop , the owner has kindly installed a tub of umbrellas for people to use while queueing in the rain....nice Man .

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Unfortunately summer ends in West Cumbria around the 1st of  July most years , that blue splodge you notice at the top left hand part of England on the BBC weather map will be there until September when we usually get a couple of weeks of decent weather.........noticed with having to queue outside now for our local Fish and Chip Shop , the owner has kindly installed a tub of umbrellas for people to use while queueing in the rain....nice Man .

We're regular visitors to the Lakes so know all about Cumbrian weather. It's been interesting looking at the glorious weather on the webcams during lockdown and seeing the return to normal once things started opening up 😀

• Like 1

Post from OZ, 

Saw a Black-Necked Stork in a swampy area I have fenced off to keep the cattle out.

Probably seen about ~8 over the last 15 years. Magnificent creature. 

It was very shy and flew away soon as I appeared,  it circled and returned to the same area , unfortunately I was working in the area and it flew off again. There was other smaller storks in the swamp who weren`t concerned by my presence nearby. 

They can have a wingspan of up to 2m`s, this one was probably 1.5m`s.               

• Like 2

Of the hirundine species (swifts, swallows and martins), swifts are the last to arrive and the first to go.  In my experience, their departure is pretty much as regular as clockwork.  They leave from mid-July onwards and there will be none after either 31st July or 1st August.

Sure enough, here in south-west Wiltshire, there were one or two still about yesterday, but none today that I can see.

Autumn is here!

• Like 1

Just went to put out the Hedgehog food , back door was open and I could hear a ' huffing ' grunt , heard that last year , 2 hogs ' dancing ' around literally ten feet from were I'm sat 😀

• Like 4

I saw an echidna, creature a bit like your hedgehog, about 5 years ago. I was about 40km out of town and there it was wandering across the road. Always make me glad because If you see one it usually means there are more around.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I saw an echidna, creature a bit like your hedgehog, about 5 years ago. I was about 40km out of town and there it was wandering across the road. Always make me glad because If you see one it usually means there are more around.

' Sonic's ' cousin 😀

22 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

' Sonic's ' cousin 😀

Had to google that. Hedgehogs and echidnas, Brits and Aussies, cousins. Okay mate, good luck with your season restart.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Had to google that. Hedgehogs and echidnas, Brits and Aussies, cousins. Okay mate, good luck with your season restart.

What season restart ? , My team isn't restarting 😂

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What season restart ? , My team isn't restarting 😂

I thought Leigh won that debate on that other thread (through sheer attrition ) and thereby gained promotion.🙂

• Haha 2

Last night the 2 lovehogs were on a ' date night ' on my patio , spotted them around 10 , they were both eating from the bowl of food , at 10 ish they were ' dancing ' 😉 under the garden chairs , as I checked before heading off to bed they were sharing the water bowl for a late drink , fully expect to see them both sharing a ' fag ' tonight , I'll know the dirty deed has been done then 😂

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Last night the 2 lovehogs were on a ' date night ' on my patio , spotted them around 10 , they were both eating from the bowl of food , at 10 ish they were ' dancing ' 😉 under the garden chairs , as I checked before heading off to bed they were sharing the water bowl for a late drink , fully expect to see them both sharing a ' fag ' tonight , I'll know the dirty deed has been done then 😂

Check behind the bins for a tiny condom with lots of holes in it. :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Walking the ' ratter ' tonight round the clay hole , a local small local lake , spotted a kingfisher , unusual to see them around still water , normally rivers and streams 

• Like 1

Saw my first ever adder on the Llyn Peninsula coastal path. It wound its way across the footpath in front of me and I got a really good look at it.

Unfortunately it had slithered into the gorse by the time I got my phone out, so you're all just going to have to believe me. I don't think it helped that I shouted "Snake!" to my wife and  friends who were in front of me. 

Apparently it's one of the best places to spot them but even then they are rarely seen by the general public. 

The only snake I've seen in the wild before was a grass snake in a flooded field, within a mile or so of where I saw the adder 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Edited by Leeds Wire
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Dipper on Clapham Beck

spacer.png

Lovely little things, aren't they?  Apparently they roost under river bridges so that's the best place to catch sight of them.
Do you live near Clapham? Lovely part of the world!

Edited by Leeds Wire
  • Like 1

Just now, Leeds Wire said:

Lovely little things, aren't they?  Apparently they roost under river bridges so that's the best place to catch sight of them.

Yes, the first episode of Hugh's Wild West has some fascinating underwater filming of Dippers in the Wye. We watched that one for quite a while hoping to see it go in the water but it was obviously too shy!

• Like 1

It`s obviously found plenty to eat as well by the size of it .Plenty of Dippers up here in West Cumbria as you would expect , usually use the same nesting sites every year so always know where to go to see them .  

• Like 1

When I walk to the supermarket, I cross a bridge over a stream that feeds into the local reservoir. Quite often, you see a heron, but it is usually a fair distance from the bridge. Yesterday, however, he was sunning himself on a branch very close to the road and didn't seem bothered by the attention. I wish I'd had some sort of camera to hand.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

On 21/09/2020 at 03:53, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Dipper on Clapham Beck

spacer.png

Are they named `Dipper` because of the way they fly, a movement they make, or perhaps because they feed by `dipping` their heads and catching insects from the water or maybe from under the water ? I`d be very surprised if they completely submerged themselves looking for prey. He/She sure is a little beauty though.

I have a list of about half a dozen reasons why people don`t believe in climate change and the threat that it poses to the diversity of species, and I am not here to start a debate about that. However listening to Donald Trump talk about `raking` forests and others say that forests should be `thinned out` made me realise, a) they haven`t got a clue about what a ludicrous idea that is, given the size of forests and the variety of habitats within them, and b) they don`t really care. Forests, who needs forests ? what have they ever done for me !

And of course the same argument could be made about biodiversity. Dippers who needs dippers ?

Could we live without it ? Would it matter if we only had a few species that we had a specific need for? I know that it would be greatly diminished for me if when I went for a walk if I didn`t catch sight of an `adder` or a `heron` or an `echidna`.

But is it really essential.

• Like 1