Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
voteronniegibbs

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Certainly is. Didn't think we'd get to go this year but fortunately did. Not overly busy (probably because the overflow car park was shut) and easy to social distance - helped that everyone seemed happy to do so - even at the viewing platforms. Called for a paddle at North Landing on the way home too! Only slight disappointment were the big queues for the chippys in Brid so we gave that treat a miss. 

Wonderful photos mate, thank you 👍

Where's North Landing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Wonderful photos mate, thank you 👍

Where's North Landing?

Flamborough. It's a small cove with a good beach, caves and old lifeboat station. Big car park and cafe at the top of the cliffs. It was fairly quiet but can get very busy as it's the nearest beach to the huge Thornwick Bay caravan site. One thing we've noticed is that there's very little litter left behind by those using the beach.

Couple of pics from last year

IMG_20190714_155214.jpg

IMG_20190714_155218.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2020 at 21:39, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Feels like summer now we've been to see these.

Unfortunately summer ends in West Cumbria around the 1st of  July most years , that blue splodge you notice at the top left hand part of England on the BBC weather map will be there until September when we usually get a couple of weeks of decent weather.........noticed with having to queue outside now for our local Fish and Chip Shop , the owner has kindly installed a tub of umbrellas for people to use while queueing in the rain....nice Man .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Unfortunately summer ends in West Cumbria around the 1st of  July most years , that blue splodge you notice at the top left hand part of England on the BBC weather map will be there until September when we usually get a couple of weeks of decent weather.........noticed with having to queue outside now for our local Fish and Chip Shop , the owner has kindly installed a tub of umbrellas for people to use while queueing in the rain....nice Man .

We're regular visitors to the Lakes so know all about Cumbrian weather. It's been interesting looking at the glorious weather on the webcams during lockdown and seeing the return to normal once things started opening up 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post from OZ, 

Saw a Black-Necked Stork in a swampy area I have fenced off to keep the cattle out.

Probably seen about ~8 over the last 15 years. Magnificent creature. 

It was very shy and flew away soon as I appeared,  it circled and returned to the same area , unfortunately I was working in the area and it flew off again. There was other smaller storks in the swamp who weren`t concerned by my presence nearby. 

They can have a wingspan of up to 2m`s, this one was probably 1.5m`s.               

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the hirundine species (swifts, swallows and martins), swifts are the last to arrive and the first to go.  In my experience, their departure is pretty much as regular as clockwork.  They leave from mid-July onwards and there will be none after either 31st July or 1st August.

Sure enough, here in south-west Wiltshire, there were one or two still about yesterday, but none today that I can see.

Autumn is here!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went to put out the Hedgehog food , back door was open and I could hear a ' huffing ' grunt , heard that last year , 2 hogs ' dancing ' around literally ten feet from were I'm sat 😀

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw an echidna, creature a bit like your hedgehog, about 5 years ago. I was about 40km out of town and there it was wandering across the road. Always make me glad because If you see one it usually means there are more around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I saw an echidna, creature a bit like your hedgehog, about 5 years ago. I was about 40km out of town and there it was wandering across the road. Always make me glad because If you see one it usually means there are more around.

' Sonic's ' cousin 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

' Sonic's ' cousin 😀

Had to google that. Hedgehogs and echidnas, Brits and Aussies, cousins. Okay mate, good luck with your season restart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Had to google that. Hedgehogs and echidnas, Brits and Aussies, cousins. Okay mate, good luck with your season restart.

What season restart ? , My team isn't restarting 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What season restart ? , My team isn't restarting 😂

I thought Leigh won that debate on that other thread (through sheer attrition ) and thereby gained promotion.🙂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night the 2 lovehogs were on a ' date night ' on my patio , spotted them around 10 , they were both eating from the bowl of food , at 10 ish they were ' dancing ' 😉 under the garden chairs , as I checked before heading off to bed they were sharing the water bowl for a late drink , fully expect to see them both sharing a ' fag ' tonight , I'll know the dirty deed has been done then 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Last night the 2 lovehogs were on a ' date night ' on my patio , spotted them around 10 , they were both eating from the bowl of food , at 10 ish they were ' dancing ' 😉 under the garden chairs , as I checked before heading off to bed they were sharing the water bowl for a late drink , fully expect to see them both sharing a ' fag ' tonight , I'll know the dirty deed has been done then 😂

Check behind the bins for a tiny condom with lots of holes in it. :kolobok_wink:

  • Haha 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...