spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

The Welsh Harp reservoir near where I live in Hendon is usually teeming with birds. There's a nice winding path round the North half of the lake which I take once in a while.

You should leave it for others to enjoy too.

Selfish bleeder.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 4 months later...

We've just had a far too rare visit from our local Jay in our garden.  A lovely bird but very shy.  He doesn't seem to like squirrels very much though given by the crawing he was giving one that was too close to him,

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I went to my regular egg farm last week! On the track there and back there must have been 30 partridges blocking the way!

I drove through slowly but they wern't that bothered about moving.

When I was a kid there were loads of partridges around here but these were the first I have seen for about 50 years.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

We've just had a far too rare visit from our local Jay in our garden.  A lovely bird but very shy.  He doesn't seem to like squirrels very much though given by the crawing he was giving one that was too close to him,

Amazingly timid birds given their size. 

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Jays are usually quite wary birds, although I used to get one watching me in the garden for some reason. They become more noticeable when the leaves have gone from the trees. They can be quite busy at this time of year making their caches of acorns etc.

Jay also used to be a term for a showy woman.

a nuthatch has been pershing on the living room window ledge at our gaff oveer the last few days

beautiful little bird

Gorgeous little things, aren't they? Have you seen them at Golden Acre? They are really visible around the path separating the park from Adel Dam.

There are also at least two Jays at the top end of the park in the woods. As someone has already said, they are really busy at this time of year. Also, there are two or three little clearings in the woods where my kids got great #### and robins eating out of their hands!

Also look out for the arrival of flocks of fieldfares about this time of year, really colourful and sociable birds.

Gorgeous little things, aren't they? Have you seen them at Golden Acre? They are really visible around the path separating the park from Adel Dam.

There are also at least two Jays at the top end of the park in the woods. As someone has already said, they are really busy at this time of year. Also, there are two or three little clearings in the woods where my kids got great #### and robins eating out of their hands!

Also look out for the arrival of flocks of fieldfares about this time of year, really colourful and sociable birds.

Fieldfares are really handsome

Seven arches is a few hundred yards from our gaff there's lots if jays around there throughout the year

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Fieldfares are really handsome

Seven arches is a few hundred yards from our gaff there's lots if jays around there throughout the year

I've never managed to find seven arches! Tried and given up several times, walking through the woods from Alwoodley cricket club.

I've never managed to find seven arches! Tried and given up several times, walking through the woods from Alwoodley cricket club.

Carry on walking on thé long straight path from thé cricket club through the Woods left at the slabbering baby: thats thé spring that emerges from thé stone fountain just follow thé track and the seven arches will appear through the trees

When you get there and have had à look you can éither turn back or follow the path bearing immediately right and turn right again at a small crossroads in the track

Our gaff is to the left in front of you, the farm is on thé Wright.

Turn right at the farm and walk à few yards onto spring hill

Follow thé track past the houses back into thé woods over the beck And you are back on the straight track to alwoodey cricket club and leos rufc

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Yes. There have been lots of fieldfares and redwings piling into the country in recent weeks.

The estate wher I live backs on to open farmland ... less than three miles from the city centre, illustrating the surprisingly rural aspect of much of Bradford.

We have had a fair few more "proper" birds on my street this year because someone must have shot a fair few of the crows and magpies that have previously predated on them.

Well done to whoever it was.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The estate wher I live backs on to open farmland ... less than three miles from the city centre, illustrating the surprisingly rural aspect of much of Bradford.

We have had a fair few more "proper" birds on my street this year because someone must have shot a fair few of the crows and magpies that have previously predated on them.

Well done to whoever it was.

For some reason we've had far fewer magpies around this way this year for some reason.  There have been times in the past when you couldn't count how many magpies were sitting in the field behind our house, this year you get the occasional pair but none of the swarms of adolescent ones in previous years.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I was just going out to clean the junk out of the bird bath from yesterday's wind and stopped myself as I noticed two Jays in the garden.  That's the first time I've ever seen two of them in my garden.  They were quite happily picking away at the detritus left from the wind for quite a while before flying off after the next meal.

• 7 months later...

I see a lot of Herons flying round Idle. 

I find that difficult to believe.

Must take a lot of effort flapping those large wings.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 1 month later...

Amazed to see a family of goldfinch have suddenly appeared in our back garden 5 in total flitting between a plum and an apple tree.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

We had a Jackdaw in the garden the other day. It landed on the table and started drinking my tea even though I was sitting there. It didn't bother a bit when two of my Grandsons aged 3 and 6 came out and stood next to it. I held out a bit of bread and it took it from me. It stayed about half an hour and then flew off.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Amazed to see a family of goldfinch have suddenly appeared in our back garden 5 in total flitting between a plum and an apple tree.

Goldfinches seem t have grown in number in recent years, maybe because of more people putting out sunflower seeds, nyger seeds etc. I see them in large numbers in my garden and out and about, right up to the moorland edges. Cracking looking birds.

We had a Jackdaw in the garden the other day. It landed on the table and started drinking my tea even though I was sitting there. It didn't bother a bit when two of my Grandsons aged 3 and 6 came out and stood next to it. I held out a bit of bread and it took it from me. It stayed about half an hour and then flew off.

Sounds like fun. Jackdaws are canny birds and can learn quite a few tricks to obtain food.

We put out sunflower and nyger  seeds for the finches and have loads of goldfinches plus a couple of Bullfinches . We have the usual green and chaffinches as well. a small fledgling gold finch flew into my kitchen window and knocked it's self silly. Husband picked it up and put it somewhere safe under the blueberry bush tiny little thing but very nice.

Goldfinches seem t have grown in number in recent years, maybe because of more people putting out sunflower seeds, nyger seeds etc. I see them in large numbers in my garden and out and about, right up to the moorland edges. Cracking looking birds.

first time i have seen a goldfinch in my area standish wigan, plenty other finches though, i thought we were a bit to far north for goldfinches?

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)