Troubled Clubs

sliggster1

With Gateshead on the verge of going out of business, Oldham surviving for the time being and now the Wakefield saga, what are peoples thoughts on the reason why so many clubs are hitting rock bottom?

Is it because they are aiming for SL or survival of SL? Bad management by the clubs' BOD? Lack of intrest/support? What?

Not a good thing in my opinion! and I personally think the game at all levels and in all forms will grow weaker NOT stronger as SL was supposedly intended.

Any thoughts?

AT LAST SOMEBODY WANTS TO HELP US!!! Time to look to the future! The Only Way is UP!

sliggster1.gif

I think it's all of those things in various order. Just look at our attendance last season. We need to break the 2000 mark before we can begin to progress much further. Players want more money, the club is more expensive to run and you and I don't want to pay any more for our tickets!

Super League has failed to attract the numbers it was hoped and the quality of the Championship league has improved tremendously. The difference between them and us is getting closer yet we cannot get into the Super league by a natuaral progression as we should be able to. As one championship player put it me 'whats the point of it all if we only get a medal at the of the season'. The game is too 'local' it needs to expand to other regions of the country but that costs time and money. Otherwise theres no problems!

Featherstone Rovers-a Super league club in waiting. It's time to let us in.

I think it's all of those things in various order. Just look at our attendance last season. We need to break the 2000 mark before we can begin to progress much further. Players want more money, the club is more expensive to run and you and I don't want to pay any more for our tickets!

Super League has failed to attract the numbers it was hoped and the quality of the Championship league has improved tremendously. The difference between them and us is getting closer yet we cannot get into the Super league by a natuaral progression as we should be able to. As one championship player put it me 'whats the point of it all if we only get a medal at the of the season'. The game is too 'local' it needs to expand to other regions of the country but that costs time and money. Otherwise theres no problems!

It is all down to cash flow. Money in has to be more than money out. Businessmen seem to lose their minds when they join sport. Remember PROFIT is not money. All the clubs mentioned are just living on something good happening instead of working within their means.

As with any sport or industry, the main outlay is the wage bill. In sport, nothing viable is produced and therefore the main source of income is attendence, good cup runs and winning silver.

Having said that, in the case of some soccer clubs, despite success on the field and having a massive following, they are still millions of pounds in debt. This follows that the wage bills are pulling clubs down slow but sure.