RL Challenge cup to be removed from protected TV list

Mark Ashton

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, have I read it wrongly? I read the article to mean that the sports mentioned would be coming back to terrestial broadcasting. Further to my phone call are you going to the club tonight?

it would be interesting to see how the game would progress if that was the case ernie.

We would feel the impact down here in the world outside the 'holy grail', but I would suspect it would nothing in comparision with the impact it would have on SL!

We'll see!!

Sky my fat ginger @rse!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

it would be interesting to see how the game would progress if that was the case ernie.

We would feel the impact down here in the world outside the 'holy grail', but I would suspect it would nothing in comparision with the impact it would have on SL!

We'll see!!

Sky my fat ginger @rse!

Your a hypocrite man you have just had sky installed, and i bet your favourite number is 10 Maggies den, and i bet your fav read is the sun, but not in public eh

We'll see!!

Sky my fat ginger @rse!

I think that if SKY should ever ditch rugby league it would probably benefit the lower leagues more. The fair weather fans would stop watching the super dooper sides. The sport would wholly return to part time again. The money men would be forced out of some clubs. Fans of our league teams would drift back because p and r would be reinstated and clubs like FEV would win the Rugby League challenge cup again and everyone would once again feel really refreshed and elated ARRGH UTOPIA

If it is removed from the list it will be interesting to see if the BBC can be bothered to try and retain it. Personally I haven't watched a cup final for years so either way it wouldn't affect me.

So why would you be interested then? :rolleyes:

There are no strangers at Post Office Road, only friends who haven't met.

If sky ditched Rugby League it would hinder our league in quite a way, don't they give our league X amount to help pay for chief exec? How many times have people on here moaned that we never get any publicity, we do now! Sky have shown us several times, Orange TV have done too. Shouldn't we all be striving for full time clubs?

Lets turn the situation around and be positive, help ourselves, championship/1/amatuer/grass roots etc.

Why do a vast majorty of followers of the game have a beef about something even when they get something they ask for.

We need as much TV air time as possible, get the game spread out as far and wide as possible. imo every club, league and organisation within the RFL have a terrible marketing setup, we need all the help we can get. There is so much potential with this game its unbelievable.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Your a hypocrite man you have just had sky installed, and i bet your favourite number is 10 Maggies den, and i bet your fav read is the sun, but not in public eh
anyone caring to look at my house will note the only dish in our house has fruit in it!

You are nothing if not predictable my little bouncey friend. The need to keep trying to prompt a response suggests some effective disorder similar to ASD! I'd go and get that checked if i were you, you small ovoid oaf!

anyone caring to look at my house will note the only dish in our house has fruit in it!

You are nothing if not predictable my little bouncey friend. The need to keep trying to prompt a response suggests some effective disorder similar to ASD! I'd go and get that checked if i were you, you small ovoid oaf!

Ovoid oaf? Thats a new one on me Robin!

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

i would rather have coverage than just seconds

each to their own kirkie.

I would rather not have sky! C'est la vie. I'll live with that. I wouldn't expect anyone to do as i do. I'm just a grumpy old sod who will not support murdochvision.

Firstborn however......

Youth today eh! Won't even support my grumpiness!

each to their own kirkie.

I would rather not have sky! C'est la vie. I'll live with that. I wouldn't expect anyone to do as i do. I'm just a grumpy old sod who will not support murdochvision.

Firstborn however......

Youth today eh! Won't even support my grumpiness!

In my opinion RL would all but dead if Sky hadn't supported it. Ok we got a rough deal but overall the game would not have had the money put into the sport without Sky. A lot of the grumbles are parochial but you can only play the cards you are dealt. I have Sky and watch any cover that is given including Boots n All. Whatever your feelings if you are a RL supporter you will support the game in whatever guise it comes in. Taking your bat home achieves nothing but a bit of self satisfaction maybe but the end result is you go with the flow if you wish to achieve something. Grumbling from outside is a waste of time.

it may be a waste of time colin, it may not. My angst against sky goes much deeper than rugby league, but nevertheless, is a contributing factor. I am a supporter of fev, not super league!

Taking my bat home? Perhaps.

My lad, born 1983 doesn't totally understand my view point. Then not many others do either.

it may be a waste of time colin, it may not. My angst against sky goes much deeper than rugby league, but nevertheless, is a contributing factor. I am a supporter of fev, not super league!

My lad, born 1983 doesn't totally understand my view point. Then not many others do either.

Thank God we live in a democracy Robin. All the major sports rely on Sky money now, hence the panic about the latest proposals.

I'm 100% with you on the Sky issue Robin and like you the reasons go back further than their involvement in RL.

My only interest in RL is FEV. i couldn't give a flying fig about SL, grand finals, internationals or Challenge cups.

If other people think that attitude is a waste of time i don't give a flying fig about that either.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

t'other way round for me paul! I can, and do live without murdoch! I'd miss the Beeb!

If Sky went the way of setanta, would there be no RL to watch ever again in this country???

The championship survived the collapse of the monkey and Saint's finest benidormer!!

I would suggest that RL would survive the collapse (or withdrawal) sky but accept that we are so tied to murdoch at the mo there would be some casualties if that relationship broke up suddenly. There would have to be some severe re-structuring at clubs and an almost certain return to semi-pro for what is now SL. As we're still no nearer the Aussies I wouldn't care if we stopped chasing that holy grail anyway.

Daft thing is, I think some of the championship clubs could probably stand the [hypothetical] storm better than some, if not all SL clubs!

I should probably care - but I don't think I would if sky did eventually pull out.

t'other way round for me paul! I can, and do live without murdoch! I'd miss the Beeb!

If Sky went the way of setanta, would there be no RL to watch ever again in this country???

The championship survived the collapse of the monkey and Saint's finest benidormer!!

I would suggest that RL would survive the collapse (or withdrawal) sky but accept that we are so tied to murdoch at the mo there would be some casualties if that relationship broke up suddenly. There would have to be some severe re-structuring at clubs and an almost certain return to semi-pro for what is now SL. As we're still no nearer the Aussies I wouldn't care if we stopped chasing that holy grail anyway.

Daft thing is, I think some of the championship clubs could probably stand the [hypothetical] storm better than some, if not all SL clubs!

I should probably care - but I don't think I would if sky did eventually pull out.

The thing is Robin, people have been saying "If sky went belly up"..... for the best part of two decades now! It still appears to be going strong.

Yes, it would cause damage to the game if they did pull out, no denying that. You only have to look at ITV and lower league football for that. But, some people have problems with Sky/ Murdoch for nowt to do with their involvement with RL but other stuff.

I know some folk think that sky is root of all evil but I'm quite the opposite (in the wider context, I'm not sure whether its been good or bad for Rugby League yet... I'd probably say on balance though its had both positives or negatives and had more impact than other media outlets).

I can't see there being much difference whether the CC Final is shown on the BBC or not to be honest. Can't see the fuss.

I don't think they will go belly up Paul. Around 1991/2ish they were in the balance and struggling. Business wise they have a massive share of the market now and are unlikely to go that way.

However, I'm not sure their continued involvement in RL is assured as we may believe, and tho I'm not one to closely scrutinise the markets and economy etc, it does appear that all our eggs are in a basket with "rupert" on the side of it! If murdoch's 'suits' decide RL doesn't represent value for money, then it most certainly will withdraw from RL.

If there is to be an ending of the relationship between sky and RL, (and i've no evidence to suggest there will be, it's more likely to be for the above reasons than a collapse of murdoch's empire.

You're right of course. I have other issues with murdoch, but his involvement with RL does indeed play a part in my feelings towards sky.

I don't think they will go belly up Paul. Around 1991/2ish they were in the balance and struggling. Business wise they have a massive share of the market now and are unlikely to go that way.

However, I'm not sure their continued involvement in RL is assured as we may believe, and tho I'm not one to closely scrutinise the markets and economy etc, it does appear that all our eggs are in a basket with "rupert" on the side of it! If murdoch's 'suits' decide RL doesn't represent value for money, then it most certainly will withdraw from RL.

If there is to be an ending of the relationship between sky and RL, (and i've no evidence to suggest there will be, it's more likely to be for the above reasons than a collapse of murdoch's empire.

You're right of course. I have other issues with murdoch, but his involvement with RL does indeed play a part in my feelings towards sky.

and this is why we have Celtic and Quins in Super League, make SL a national competition = value for money.

Cummins Out.

and this is why we have Celtic and Quins in Super League, make SL a national competition = value for money.

are you being Ironic there Matt or do you actually believe that??