Davies Report and the RL Challenge Cup Final

Marto

The Rugby League All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG), the Board of the Rugby Football League and Supporters Direct oppose this recommendation. The RFL has given evidence to the Committee and responded to the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) to this effect. An Early Day Motion (EDM) has been tabled by Neil Turner MP as Secretary and the Conservative and Liberal Democrat MPs who are Vice-Chairs of the Group, and we are seeking a debate in Parliament.

As a Rugby League Supporter, you can help ensure that this proposal is defeated, and that the Challenge Cup remains available to all supporters to see on free to view television.

Firstly as RL supporters, please write and encourage your local MP to sign the EDM (EDM48) to indicate their support for our view. To find your who your MP is and their contact details, check http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/. I should explain that only Back-bench MPs can sign EDMs, but your writing to your MP should they be a Government Minister or Opposition Spokesperson will show them the strength and depth of feeling on this issue within their constituency.

Secondly, please respond to the consultation by writing to DCMS and making your views known. The number of letters they receive will be a major factor in their accepting or rejecting the report's recommendations. Once open, the consultation, and contact details for responses will be listed at http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_librar...ns/default.aspx.

I believe that we can overturn this recommendation, but only if we act collectively as Rugby League fans in the way I have suggested. I hope your Trust and its members will help, and we can keep the Challenge Cup on 'free to air' television, and allow all those many fans who cannot see regularly televised Super League games live to enjoy one of our games greatest spectacles, and top teams battle for one of our country's oldest trophies.

Once the consultation period is open we will be posting details of who to contact at the DCMS and how to sign the petition, we will send to the DCMS.

Below is a sample email to send to your MP -

Dear (Insert Name of MP),

Davies Report and the RL Challenge Cup Final

I am sure you will be aware that the Davies Committee has recommended that the Challenge Cup should no longer be on the 'A' list of events free to view on terrestrial television.

The Rugby League All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG), the Board of the Rugby Football League, Supporters Direct and the Rugby League Supporter Association oppose this recommendation. The RFL has given evidence to the Committee and responded to the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) to this effect. An Early Day Motion (EDM48) has been tabled by Neil Turner MP as Secretary and the Conservative and Liberal Democrat MPs who are Vice-Chairs of the Group, and we are seeking a debate in Parliament.

As a Rugby League supporter, I would urge you to sign the EDM and show your support for this campaign.  Rugby League is one of the fastest growing sports in the country at grass-roots level and this growth can only gained with continued exposure from free-to-air TV.  The Rugby League Challenge Cup has provided some iconic moments in this country's sporting history and will continue to do so in future as the country's top teams battle for one of sports oldest trophies.

Best Wishes,

web-banner.jpg

2006 National League Three Champions, 2009 Co-Operative Rugby League Conference National Champions

Bramley Buffaloes|Buffaloes Video Channel|Buffaloes Merchandise|Buffaloes Blog|Buffs on Facebook|Buffs on Twitter

It should be a free market where the sport gets its full worth for being on TV rather than reduced money by the limited number of terrestrial operators. If the BBC value RL they will pay a market price for it.

I really don't see in this day and age why anything should be made to be on free tv as at the end of the day its people choice whether they want to pay for it or not....

You pay you money and you take your choice

Steven Ashton

and sod those who can't afford it eh!

Just what we need, fewer people watching and only available to those fortunate enough to afford it!

"i'm alright jack" eh?

Owt on sky can do without my support. But moving the cup from the bbc (a comp that in all honesty i don't give a toss about, but accept lots do), becomes even more divisive!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

and sod those who can't afford it eh!

Just what we need, fewer people watching and only available to those fortunate enough to afford it!

"i'm alright jack" eh?

Owt on sky can do without my support. But moving the cup from the bbc (a comp that in all honesty i don't give a toss about, but accept lots do), becomes even more divisive!

ditto

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Why the RFL think the challenge cup is important enough to be granted protected status is beyond me, it became a Johnstons paint trophy, zeneth data cup,FA Vase, FA trophy, Unibond league challenge cup, North east Counties league cup, Selby Cup, Captains Morgan Trophy, Floodlight Trophy the day teams in the cup started playing to different rules. God knows why sky or anyone else would want to pay good money to show a tournament where some teams can play 1 foreign player and others 5.

The people running this game are making a right pigs ear of it at the moment, how they keep there jobs i will never know

The people running this game are making a right pigs ear of it at the moment, how they keep there jobs i will never know

Oh suggy, you short round bouncey dollop of numptyness! I believe I agree with you!!! B)

Oh suggy, you short round bouncey dollop of numptyness! I believe I agree with you!!! B)

Spen Allison the barla chairman ought to be running the RFL i met him last week a true gent and a real RL man and unlike Lewis he as actually played and coached the game. But the main reason for me he should be involved is because in HIS main cup tournament the National cup every team from the smallest pub team to the might of holders Siddal play to the same rules, and any club playing an unregistered player is kicked out straight away no bother. In the National Conference league Brighouse Rangers played an unregistered player in a league game and were booted out immediatly no messing.

But even though the RFL have been seen to favour expansion teams they are just as likely to kick Celtic and Harlequins out before this season starts because they havent got a clue what they are doing no long term planning, decisions with out much thought, but people like Hetherington arnt much better they are always there lurking in the background with there self centred ideas.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO HELLL IN A HANDCART

Edited by LOWFIELD

Yeah right, bring on the revolution brother.....

Predictable. You don't like another view point to yours so resort to sarcasm.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

Can someone explain why we have to pay to watch premium sports on television anyway ? If the sport is good enough then surely the revenue from advertising should cover the cost as it does with football on ITV? I know the BBC don't have advertisisng but they take money off me every year so thatI can watch repeats or sub standard documentaries ( apart from Life) The idea initially was that the licence fee was brought in to cover the cost of broadcasting 1 television station and four radio stations ( Luxembourg existed on adverts) BSB and Sky launched in competition and then had to merge because there was insufficient response to both stations. NOw how people spend their hard earned is entirely up to them, but remember there are many unfortunate people who cannot afford

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

Can someone explain why we have to pay to watch premium sports on television anyway ? If the sport is good enough then surely the revenue from advertising should cover the cost as it does with football on ITV? I know the BBC don't have advertisisng but they take money off me every year so thatI can watch repeats or sub standard documentaries ( apart from Life) The idea initially was that the licence fee was brought in to cover the cost of broadcasting 1 television station and four radio stations ( Luxembourg existed on adverts) BSB and Sky launched in competition and then had to merge because there was insufficient response to both stations. NOw how people spend their hard earned is entirely up to them, but remember there are many unfortunate people who cannot afford

Couldn't have put it better myself Bob!

I know there are some unfortunates but they are not all they seem. Reguarly in the paper shop I am behind unemployed people who buy forty fags and spend

I know there are some unfortunates but they are not all they seem.

I can assure you the one's I work with are Colin. I know for definate because we work their benefits out for them!

Reguarly in the paper shop I am behind unemployed people who buy forty fags and spend
Edited by Robin Evans

As I said earlier I have no axe to grind with anyone who decides to pay fro subscription television. The whole crux of the matter though is, should the major sporting events be available on free to view television ? My answer was yes. I was also taking into account that many people could not afford to pay subscriptions. Colin you are right there are Pubs and Clubs to watch big games in if you wish, the clubhouse opened for this purpose and no-one was interested. There is bound to be many different programme choices available on SKY , that though is not the point, the whole point is that I pay my television licence to the BBC for them to entertain me, without that licence I am not able to watch ANY television.

Like you Colin I live on a pension, one which I contributed to all my working life and because I am not yet 65, never increases year after year so my income is static my outgoings are different. I do, however, have savings whch I could if required use, but the question is and will always be, should premium sporting events be available to the MAJORITY on free to view, I say yes. The argument about someone on benefits buying 40 fags cannot come into the equation the same as how can unemployed drug addicts afford a "fix"?

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

I know there are some unfortunates but they are not all they seem. Reguarly in the paper shop I am behind unemployed people who buy forty fags and spend

Well done Robin on having the patience to reply to the above post. For me there are far to many generalisations and stereo-types to be bothered with.

Why should Robin have to have patience to answer a post that you obviously don't agree with. As far as I am aware we were having a discussion from different points of view. To dismiss somebody's argument offhand because you don't agree with it is also stereo-typed and also a generalisation. You don't agree so dismiss it. But then we listen to you. Give me the same courtesy. Is there an inner club that we are outside of, that decides what is right and what is wrong There are quite a number of points that Robin and Bob have made that are spot on. Others I didn't agree with. Does one have to have patience to give an answer? Sorry sir, this naughty poster will try not to disturb your patience in future.

As I said earlier I have no axe to grind with anyone who decides to pay fro subscription television. The whole crux of the matter though is, should the major sporting events be available on free to view television ? My answer was yes. I was also taking into account that many people could not afford to pay subscriptions. Colin you are right there are Pubs and Clubs to watch big games in if you wish, the clubhouse opened for this purpose and no-one was interested. There is bound to be many different programme choices available on SKY , that though is not the point, the whole point is that I pay my television licence to the BBC for them to entertain me, without that licence I am not able to watch ANY television.

Like you Colin I live on a pension, one which I contributed to all my working life and because I am not yet 65, never increases year after year so my income is static my outgoings are different. I do, however, have savings whch I could if required use, but the question is and will always be, should premium sporting events be available to the MAJORITY on free to view, I say yes. The argument about someone on benefits buying 40 fags cannot come into the equation the same as how can unemployed drug addicts afford a "fix"?