Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

After listening to and reading some of the stories about the snow and blizzards today, isn't about time the mountain rescue services get some public money and have some people in place who are not just volunteers??

Because of the weather conditions, the MR teams of Kendal, Furness, Coniston and Wasdale attended 125 separate incidents this weekend - and the vast majority were not some stupid, ill-prepared walkers. Many were a matter of life or death - rescuing people from their car in snow drifts and digging paths as lifelines to small communities for example.

These lads are all volunteers and sometimes spend all night out in the most miserable and extreme weather, and then have to go to work the next day. If the weather continues to throw up these extreme days then they need more resources.

After listening to and reading some of the stories about the snow and blizzards today, isn't about time the mountain rescue services get some public money and have some people in place who are not just volunteers??

Because of the weather conditions, the MR teams of Kendal, Furness, Coniston and Wasdale attended 125 separate incidents this weekend - and the vast majority were not some stupid, ill-prepared walkers. Many were a matter of life or death - rescuing people from their car in snow drifts and digging paths as lifelines to small communities for example.

These lads are all volunteers and sometimes spend all night out in the most miserable and extreme weather, and then have to go to work the next day. If the weather continues to throw up these extreme days then they need more resources.

I agree if there is money, but is there?

And especially as you forget the most important thing...

Sod's law!

(28 March 2012)

Drought conditions spread in England

:D:blink:

The system works so why change it.

If they started to get public money the donations maybe would decrease, and you'd get the I'm paying or this so why can't you help me now attitude.

Please do not wish for any of these excellent services to come under the control of government. Cos before long they'll have targets etc then be privatised to be run for profit (as the SAR service is being)

The system works so why change it.

If they started to get public money the donations maybe would decrease, and you'd get the I'm paying or this so why can't you help me now attitude.

Please do not wish for any of these excellent services to come under the control of government. Cos before long they'll have targets etc then be privatised to be run for profit (as the SAR service is being)

I agree to some extent.

However, there should be some things that can be centrally funded.

We may have more weather incidents like this weekend. More people are going on the fells.

Many of the volunteers have 30 plus years service and not many successors about.

God help us if it ever fell into privatised hands.

The RNLI is funded entirely from legacies, donations and shop sales. It does not want govt funding. It works well as it is, helped by a huge army of volunteers.

on the SAR front, Bristow already runs SAR operations in the Netherlands, Norway, Trinidad, Australia, Russia, Brazil and Canada. bloody right wing govts eh? Anyway, if Bob Crow is agin it, it MUST be a good idea.)

The Mountain Rescue Services are already in private hands and that has worked well for years.

The RNLI must be a very priveliged position compared to the MR teams then.

The Lakes are full of collecting boxes and fund raising events for the teams that the lads have to continually support by attending in their spare time, if they have any.

They occasionally get some help after major events (such as replacing equipment after the Cockermouth floods) but I feel a bit more should be done, and not have to rely as much on the vagaries of public donations.

This isn't the SAR set-up (mainly coastguarding) and a rich American corp who will need their cut of profit. This is muck and nettles on the ground rescuing (though who will call on aerial support from time to time).

Or maybe the Bristow Group will be helping their rich farmer mates pull a few sheep out of the bit of snow we've had?

Is the road to Oxenhope still closed?

Yes. 3 days in a row I've had to detour through Booth, Wainstalls & Mixenden to get over to Denholme and head in that way. I'm living in hope it will re-open shortly!

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Yes. 3 days in a row I've had to detour through Booth, Wainstalls & Mixenden to get over to Denholme and head in that way. I'm living in hope it will re-open shortly!

I went via Denholme yesterday. Still needs care on that route. Over again this pm.

I might be venturing over to Haworth this evening from West Bowling area. How is it looking?

White. :D

Roads are in general fine, just beware of the odd place where it's either narrow due to ploughing or some covering where snow is still blowing about a bit. I understand the road has now re-opened between Oxenhope & Peckett Well, so back to my usual route tonight. :)

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Not going today now, but cheers anyway. And if it's the A6033 Keighley Road you're interested in, I posted above I'd read it was open, but obviously take it easy and don't make assumptions! I'll pass on info but I'm not guarantee it's correct. ;)

The RNLI is funded entirely from legacies, donations and shop sales. It does not want govt funding. It works well as it is, helped by a huge army of volunteers.

on the SAR front, Bristow already runs SAR operations in the Netherlands, Norway, Trinidad, Australia, Russia, Brazil and Canada. bloody right wing govts eh? Anyway, if Bob Crow is agin it, it MUST be a good idea.)

The Mountain Rescue Services are already in private hands and that has worked well for years.

ADAMS20130327_2520653a.jpg

Adams - Telegraph :dry:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Not going today now, but cheers anyway. And if it's the A6033 Keighley Road you're interested in, I posted above I'd read it was open, but obviously take it easy and don't make assumptions! I'll pass on info but I'm not guarantee it's correct. ;)

Yeah, cheers for the link. Be nice to get back to the direct route home. I've been up there when it's been pretty bad and have never got stuck; famous last words though. :lol:

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

Yeah, cheers for the link. Be nice to get back to the direct route home. I've been up there when it's been pretty bad and have never got stuck; famous last words though. :lol:

Yup, it's open.

The wind is blowing snow onto the road in places and some bends require caution but a bit of traffic on it will help. Quite a spectacular drive. I won't be going on that route on my bike though................

It seems deep snow drifts are still causing problems in more rural parts of Bradford from reading today's T&A. It's probably just an ignorant outsider's view but it does amaze me when we have bad weather and the Council are run off their feet, even though Bradford Council is bab, how it's the Council's fault no-one can do owt for themselves. I'm also surprised by when a few houses are cut off how many of these have poorly, elderly, pregnant and young kids living in them.

I bloody hope the Bulls game is on.

So do I! BBC weather has it down to -2C tonight and -1C tomorrow night, but +4C at game time. It should be okay.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.