Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

20 hours ago, Kayakman said:

If your really interested Bedford send me a personal message and maybe you can come over for a game and we can set something up for a week....I've got a kayak with your name on it ready to go, that is if the damn ice would leave the Bay!

I will get out there for a game at some point, and would love a few days in the woods/rivers/lakes.

Not likely for the next year or so.  

• Sad 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 hours ago, henage said:

everything

The most dangerous animal in the woods isn't a bear....its the bull moose.   Taken from movement cam at hunt lodge of friend.  This is a young male, not very large though....bit of a runt.

Mooseman.JPG

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2018 at 6:30 AM, henage said:

Can you shoot them? Bet the younger ones taste nice . And feed you for a good few months .

Yes you can hunt them...you have to get a tag of course...the tag is for a bull, cow, or calf.  Usually about 4-8 guys all apply for a tag in a certain geographic area and usually one gets one in the draw.   The tag is good for the entire group and you split the kill.  Shooting it is only the start, they are hunted in very isolated areas so gutting and getting the carcass to camp and then the ultimate butchering is a real task.  Temperature plays a factor with the meat preservation at this stage...it is critical.

To kill a bull moose with the bow is the ultimate test of the true hunter...very hard to do and few have accomplished it.   Must have great patience.   Calling in the moose with the moose horn is also fun.  Then you have to bring him in with the fake antlers. Always go for a lung shot, and then, of course, track the blood trail after waiting for quite a while, they will eventually lie down somewhere and bleed out by suffocating on their own blood in the lung.  They can travel for quite a distance though.

My brother in law Paul is the best and most successful moose hunter I know...he always gets one.  He really knows what he is doing.

Calf  (they are big) give the best steaks etc. in my opinion.

They are the most dangerous beast in our forests.   I've had some close calls.  Worst is when you are in the kayak or canoe and you enter a big marsh or turn a bend into a shallow or something and bang....there he is, right in front of you...he could easily kill you there if he lowered his horns and charged....got to play it cool and no jerky moments, slowly back off or go around.  If in the woods get up the tree, they can't climb.   You have no idea of the actual size of a full grown bull moose until you are up close,  they are roughly the size of a small bus (no kidding).   All muscle and antler rack.

Caught this photo on the camo cam at buddies hunt camp last year....nice young female.

DSC_0021.jpg

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 11:30 AM, henage said:

Can you shoot them? Bet the younger ones taste nice . And feed you for a good few months .

My former brother-in-law came back from a foreign tour a few years ago with some moose salami. It was absolutely amazing!

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

45 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

My former brother-in-law came back from a foreign tour a few years ago with some moose salami. It was absolutely amazing!

sounds disgusting - meat is murder

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 3:24 PM, henage said:

No problem with that . I've never have but would give it a go . 

Deer seem to have made it through the winter Okay...need to fatten up now.

What a great bow shot a guy could make on that one in the middle...perfect lung target.

deer.png

1 hour ago, henage said:

Why not go for the head , if your hunting with a bow you must have some responsibility to end the animals life as quickly as possible . Im going to go and find me some deer meat to give it a try . 

If the arrow missed I could hit the car!  Plus if you hit only part of the head its going to bolt and could live for days/weeks in pain and with infection...a slow and painful death...possibly starving to death....cruel and not fair to the animal to risk this. 

A lung shot is the most humane, it is the hunters responsibility to dispatch the animal as quickly as possible and not to prolong its suffering.  The lung shot is a certain kill.

You will like venison but its probably from farmed animals over there and therefore it will not taste the same as wild meat....always a big difference in all animals from farmed/wild meat taste.  Biggest difference is wild and farmed salmon....totally different.  Also wild turkey is very different, very very different taste.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 1:17 PM, Futtocks said:

On 4/11/2018 at 5:58 AM, henage said:

Why not go for the head , if your hunting with a bow you must have some responsibility to end the animals life as quickly as possible . Im going to go and find me some deer meat to give it a try . 

Preparing to get hammered tonight and the next few days...emergency supplies ready...lots of firewood.  Still snow on the ground...lots in the bush.  Bay still in ice but loosening up, go kayaking soon!

Issued: 3:30 PM EDT Friday 13 April 2018

Freezing rain warning in effect

Snowfall warning in effect.

date Detailed Forecast
Tonight Periods of rain changing to freezing rain overnight. Risk of a thunderstorm early this evening. Wind becoming northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50 early this evening. Low minus 1.
Sat, 14 Apr Freezing rain changing to ice pellets in the morning then to snow at times heavy or periods of ice pellets early in the afternoon. Snow and ice pellet amount 10 to 15 cm. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60. Temperature falling to minus 4 in the afternoon.
Night Snow at times heavy or periods of ice pellets ending in the evening then cloudy. Risk of freezing drizzle late in the evening and overnight. Local blowing snow in the evening. Snow and ice pellet amount 2 cm. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60. Temperature steady near minus 5.
Sun, 15 Apr Periods of snow or freezing rain. Windy. High minus 1.
Night Periods of freezing rain or rain. Windy. Low minus 1.
Mon, 16 Apr Showers. High plus 5.
Night Cloudy with 60 percent chance of rain showers or flurries. Low minus 2.
Tue, 17 Apr Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. High plus 1.
Night Cloudy periods. Low minus 3.

i

It is slightly ironic that Canada can provide the sort of winter rugby that many of those who oppose Toronto's presence bizarrely pine for.

Anyway summer is hitting the UK this week after a pretty pleasant weekend, so time to hibernate this thread, hopefully for a long time.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

28 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It is slightly ironic that Canada can provide the sort of winter rugby that many of those who oppose Toronto's presence bizarrely pine for.

Anyway summer is hitting the UK this week after a pretty pleasant weekend, so time to hibernate this thread, hopefully for a long time.

You might be able to hibernate but some of us are still stuck in the clutches of Old Man Winter!

Final remanants of winter still hanging around up here on Alston Moor. That’s in the re-entrant next to Yad Moss Pass (just shy of 600m) below Burnhope Seat; still looks to have a good smattering in patches on Cross Fell too.

D1B17919-162B-444B-B4A5-D728D7E0B6BD.jpeg

Edited by GeordieSaint

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Final remanants of winter still hanging around up here on Alston Moor. That’s in the re-entrant next to Yad Moss Pass (just shy of 600m) below Burnhope Seat; still looks to have a good smattering in patches on Cross Fell too.

D1B17919-162B-444B-B4A5-D728D7E0B6BD.jpeg

Great shot, looks great for hiking with the dog.  This is what we got on this end as of today.

images.jpg

!cid__0E35E050-AB8B-48AD-8E61-273F62C189E4_.jpg

!cid__AE5958CF-FE01-4C61-A329-74D81B5156B8_.jpg

18 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Great shot, looks great for hiking with the dog.  This is what we got on this end as of today.

Not great hiking for the dog; especially a spaniel like we have. Lots of legacy mine shafts scattered all over the fells; many unseen... I don’t think Bruce Wayne can be found in any of them.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Not great hiking for the dog; especially a spaniel like we have. Lots of legacy mine shafts scattered all over the fells; many unseen... I don’t think Bruce Wayne can be found in any of them.

You never know...unless you go have a look...I love splunking!