Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bloody long lock in at Tan Hill, apparently 61 people, including an Oasis tribute band, will be stuck there for a 3rd night tonight with there being over a metre of snow outside. 

They pull this trick up there every year, sometimes in July! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

They pull this trick up there every year, sometimes in July! 😀

The BBC have quoted one of the guests as saying the atmosphere is "very good" and there is "plenty of beer available". Probably the most British quote ever, "yeah we've been stuck in here for 3 days but we're all happy cos we can have a never ending knees up!" 😂

12 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bloody long lock in at Tan Hill, apparently 61 people, including an Oasis tribute band, will be stuck there for a 3rd night tonight with there being over a metre of snow outside. 

"Manager Nicola Townsend said everyone was in good spirits and that some people did not want leave."

No...really?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Electric went off here about 4am on Saturday and still isn't back on. I wholly appreciate given the time and scale of the issues caused across the North of England that Northern Powergrid will struggle to clear the backlog quickly, however their comms is terrible. I've had two messages so far: one at 6am on the day it went off to tell me then nothing for 48 hours until they sent another telling me their working on it. Use the online tool to track faults, and we don't show up, despite speaking them last night to discuss why at the time, we were one of only about 4 properties still without power in the area. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Four to six inches here, but now it's pretty much dwindled to nothing.

In other news, it has snowed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

You get a few flakes of snow over there and everyone goes into a panic....its hilarious. 

How's kayaking going kayakman .

Poor summer for me . Couple of fishing trips , couple of surfing trips that's about it .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

You get a few flakes of snow over there and everyone goes into a panic....its hilarious. 

That's just one of those daft myths that people (particularly our fellow Brits) trot out. People just get on with it the best they can. Same as they do everywhere.

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 29/11/2021 at 05:18, Old Frightful said:

"Manager Nicola Townsend said everyone was in good spirits and that some people did not want leave."

No...really?

Front page of the Guardian Web site reports of a pub chef didn't cook his Shepherds pie properly, killed a 94 year old, and gave bad food poisoning to 31 others, and got a suspended sentence, let's hope he's not in there.

21 hours ago, henage said:

How's kayaking going kayakman .

Poor summer for me . Couple of fishing trips , couple of surfing trips that's about it .

Not a whole lot of kayaking this summer but some...I had to take apart a large dock of 8x8 40 foot timbers that had rotted/been torn apart from the ice last winter...then I had to rebuild it with beams milled on the portable sawmill from old western cedar telephone poles.  This is a large dock and very long and I has to do it all by hand...pounded in a lot of 12 inch spikes by hand.  This task, of taking it all apart and shoveling out the gravel and beams took a long time.  I then hand built from scratch a series of large gabions which I then hand filled from crushed dolostone from the cliffs above my place.

Once i got it all done a tornado hit and dropped a number of very large old growth trees on the place during a microbust.   This cleanup took a long time and I'm still working on hand removal of the upturned root networks and stumps.   I got paddling in when I could but the old kayak shed sort of turned into a construction site storage shed for various equipment.

I'm heading out this weekend though since it will still warm out there (-2)....life carries on.

Like yourself I'm looking forward to next summer!  Old Man Winter comes here soon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ullman said:

That's just one of those daft myths that people (particularly our fellow Brits) trot out. People just get on with it the best they can. Same as they do everywhere.

Britain, by and large, has so few extremes that it would be possible (although very chilly and more play lost to light and damp) to play cricket in the winter just as it has proved to be possible to play rugby in the summer. We can do most things on most days - virtually all of them in fact - so it stands out when anything means we have to stop.

Whereas some other places are so flimsy that they have to abandon all outside sport for half the year cos it's too nippy for them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Britain, by and large, has so few extremes that it would be possible (although very chilly and more play lost to light and damp) to play cricket in the winter just as it has proved to be possible to play rugby in the summer. We can do most things on most days - virtually all of them in fact - so it stands out when anything means we have to stop.

Whereas some other places are so flimsy that they have to abandon all outside sport for half the year cos it's too nippy for them.

i dont think the womens beach volleyball would have been quite the same in blackpool last friday during storm arwen   as it was in bude in june 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 02/12/2021 at 15:02, Ullman said:

Yes. 

Denmark does well, but in truth it has an infrastructure for dealing with snow that is completely over the top and more on a historic basis. 

In California, people struggled to drive in medium rain, but were completely unused to it so fair enough really. 

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i dont think the womens beach volleyball would have been quite the same in blackpool last friday during storm arwen   as it was in bude in june 

You could do it today though they might want to put on a jumper.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 1 year later...

Last week's snow cover is just beginning to thaw from my back yard. Not a big thing to some parts of the country, but it's been about a decade since snow lasted so long in That London.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

This afternoon we're going through a phase of treacherous black ice on the pavements as it's raining. Club Tropicana tomorrow though.

It was terrible here for that earlier this afternoon. I'm staying inside! 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

• 1 month later...

It's snowing here. Well, actually a mix of snow, hail and rain.

Nothing unusual in that, you might think, but I live in Crete. It is freezing cold outside. Good job we've got central heating!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

16 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Nothing unusual in that, you might think, but I live in Crete. It is freezing cold outside. Good job we've got central heating!

It feels quite Spring like in sunny Tyneside.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2023 at 12:37, tonyXIII said:

Snowed a few times in coastal Crete in the past few years, it snows a lot up them there hills in Crete but hitting the lowlands so often is a novelty my contacts in Rethymno tell me.

• Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 1 month later...