Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Quit your whining...you have no idea.

You don't count!

I'll tell you what wimps we have become over here. Two of my Grandsons were told not to go to school today as it was closed. Just because there was an inch of snow overnight. The raging blizzard had completely melted by lunchtime.

God help us

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Obviously no one has had any this week

There was a tiny bit in London. You may have seen it as lead story on the national news. :kolobok_wink:

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/03/2023 at 07:23, Bearman said:

You don't count!

I'll tell you what wimps we have become over here. Two of my Grandsons were told not to go to school today as it was closed. Just because there was an inch of snow overnight. The raging blizzard had completely melted by lunchtime.

God help us

That is funny...why did they close the school though?

38 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That is funny...why did they close the school though?

Some of the teachers couldn't brave an inch of snow.

YOU know what teachers are like !!!!

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

13 hours ago, Bearman said:

Some of the teachers couldn't brave an inch of snow.

YOU know what teachers are like !!!!

I heard it was the old frightened senior citizens calling up the police stations and demanding that the teachers and kids get the day off...that is the word on the street in some place called Chornly  (or something like that) methinks.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

12 hours of snow in the southern half of Cumbria yesterday

Escaped by the skin of my teeth from possible afternoon/night stranded at the bottom of Shap, thank you 14 year old car 

On 03/12/2023 at 06:22, shaun mc said:

12 hours of snow in the southern half of Cumbria yesterday

Escaped by the skin of my teeth from possible afternoon/night stranded at the bottom of Shap, thank you 14 year old car 

Do people use snow tires over there?

59 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Some do, and some use chains. But there's rarely enough snow every year to warrant the cost in most parts of the country.

Down in London, when we last had properly treacherous icy conditions underfoot, I bought some slip-on spikes for my shoes, and they were very useful. But it's been about ten years since I've needed them.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

I live in a place where it can snow in reasonable amounts from time to time, but still it's not going to be more than a few days a few times per year. I just stay at home until the snow has gone, but some people use winter tires. Friends who live up in the cairngorms do the same. Ice is the issue, not snow. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Some do, and some use chains. But there's rarely enough snow every year to warrant the cost in most parts of the country.

Down in London, when we last had properly treacherous icy conditions underfoot, I bought some slip-on spikes for my shoes, and they were very useful. But it's been about ten years since I've needed them.

It's probably a couple of pages back but the only time I ever got stuck in snow was in Bexhill last year. It wasn't heavy but it wasn't forecast either so a fair few people got stuck - even if, like me, it was only for an hour or so until we could move on and park somewhere safe till the snow vanished as it always does.

We had the usual chat about snow/winter tyres whilst waiting. I would have needed them on 0 days before last year and 0 days since.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I have never seen a single person use chains anywhere in the UK. I've only ever known one person that switches to winter tyres.

On 06/12/2023 at 07:30, Futtocks said:

On 06/12/2023 at 08:12, JonM said:

I live in a place where it can snow in reasonable amounts from time to time, but still it's not going to be more than a few days a few times per year. I just stay at home until the snow has gone, but some people use winter tires. Friends who live up in the cairngorms do the same. Ice is the issue, not snow. 

God damned snow!....was visiting a relative last night in the bush and pulled in to park the rally car...in the dark I had turned the night mirror on for glare.....forgot to turn it back...car was covered with snow this morning early....was backing up but got a bad read from the rear mirror....I heard the crunch against the large fir tree as it took out the side mirror.....gonna cost a $1000...I got out of the car and yelled, "God damned snow!" into the Canadian wilderness....

I'm sick of the snow already!

On 06/12/2023 at 08:12, JonM said:

Are they using full winter tires or all season tires rated for the winter?  M<y guess is that it would be the latter.

On 06/12/2023 at 15:38, Damien said:

I have never seen a single person use chains anywhere in the UK. I've only ever known one person that switches to winter tyres.

Chains can really rip things up....same with studded wheels (they are probably illegal over there??)

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Chains can really rip things up....same with studded wheels (they are probably illegal over there??)

I do see people using chains from time to time - generally farmers or contractors who have to get up and down hilly farm tracks. It's illegal to drive on the public roads with anything that could cause damage to the surface, so if you're going anywhere near a main road, which will generally have been cleared, you need to have taken them off, so it's not generally worthwhile. Emergency services also use them from time to time. The fact that you can buy them in places like Halfords tells me that they're not so rare in some parts of the country.

• Thanks 1

There are also "snow sock" wheel covers, which can be put on and removed relatively quickly and offer more grip in snow, although not as much as chains.

My sister used them when she had a snowier than usual Winter a few years ago. They don't last long outside snowy conditions, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...

I love the weather in this part of the country:

5:07 AM EST Wednesday 28 February 2024

Snow squalls are expected to develop this afternoon. Hazards: Snowfall accumulations of 15 to 30 cm. Peak snowfall rates of 2 to 4 centimetres per hour. Northwesterly winds with gusts up to 80 km/h developing this afternoon. Reduced visibility, to near zero at times, in heavy snow and blowing snow. Timing: Beginning this afternoon or early evening through Thursday morning. Discussion: Snow squalls are expected to develop this afternoon. Significantly reduced visibilities, to near zero at times, are expected due to strong northwesterly wind gusting to 80 km/h. The snow squalls are expected to be the most intense tonight. Snow squalls will weaken and shift north of the area Thursday morning. An upgrade to a blizzard warning may be required should the strong winds persist long enough into this evening particularly for areas near the Lake Huron shore. Travel may be hazardous due to sudden changes in the weather. Visibility may be significantly and suddenly reduced to near zero. Road closures are possible. Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve.

• Like 1