Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Winter definitely gripped my village in the North Pennines last week. The mountain passes (around 600m) each are just opening properly now after drifts have been removed. The photo with the snow shovel is a marker from the neighbour - his vehicle is buried completely under the drift... 

A3B1986F-7B4D-4AED-A4C1-8DAA7CC20252.jpeg

4BEBCA81-9379-471E-A9F9-FBB2434C013E.jpeg

1A29491D-B4AC-4ABC-A004-786EE7076C5A.jpeg

C8D4D5F5-4069-4ECC-BC3B-D5E479E0E89A.jpeg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, henage said:

telephone box is very well insulated or heating isn't on .

You heat telephone booths?  You must be kidding.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Winter definitely gripped my village in the North Pennines last week. The mountain passes (around 600m) each are just opening properly now after drifts have been removed. The photo with the snow shovel is a marker from the neighbour - his vehicle is buried completely under the drift... 

Lots of snow for you guys....must have been windy too!   I notice the lack of insulation/air flow in the roofs hence the icicles....over here we refer to that as a 'hot roof'.   Not impressed with the snow shovel to be honest.

Everything starting to melt yet?

Edited by Kayakman

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Lots of snow for you guys....must have been windy too!   I notice the lack of insulation/air flow in the roofs hence the icicles....over here we refer to that as a 'hot roof'.   Not impressed with the snow shovel to be honest.

Everything starting to melt yet?

70mph winds for 3 days caused much of the snow drift that’s blocked roads for a week nearly. The area is pretty robust as it’s used to snow but this was a bit more epic than usual. Some great photos in the press today of people’s houses being buried! It has started to melt but more snow due next week.

It was also a dry snow (classic snowboarders dream powder) that was blown straight off the fields into the first thing that blocked it.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Wow.  If it wasn't for the red phone box I would have thought those photos were of a different country.  The winter of 2010 brought some proper snowfalls (a foot deep around my house here in Sintellins) but at no time did anywhere look like that.  Amazing.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Snowing again here...

8FF01A92-AB26-4BD5-90AF-4D226F0A6018.jpeg

Don't see you getting stuck if those are your wheels. B)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

Don't see you getting stuck if those are your wheels. B)

Oh they can get stuck alright...I've seen them buried right up to the top of the turret in mu

15 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

70mph winds for 3 days caused much of the snow drift that’s blocked roads for a week nearly. The area is pretty robust as it’s used to snow but this was a bit more epic than usual. Some great photos in the press today of people’s houses being buried! It has started to melt but more snow due next week.

To give you an idea Geordie of where I live...we would get a dump like that (the one in the pictures) about 40-60 times per winter...admittedly, we are in one of the worst areas for snow in Canada though.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

To give you an idea Geordie of where I live...we would get a dump like that (the one in the pictures) about 40-60 times per winter...admittedly, we are in one of the worst areas for snow in Canada though.

It wouldn’t bother me; love the snow and extreme conditions. The UK however is not set up for such extreme weather conditions so in some ways we are quite lucky such occurrences happen rarely. But on the flip side, we don’t half collectively  look pathetic when a 1cm of snow falls (I caveat some areas like my area neck of the woods and other remote regions are pretty hardy).

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

It wouldn’t bother me; love the snow and extreme conditions. The UK however is not set up for such extreme weather conditions so in some ways we are quite lucky such occurrences happen rarely. But on the flip side, we don’t half collectively  look pathetic when a 1cm of snow falls (I caveat some areas like my area neck of the woods and other remote regions are pretty hardy).

Do most people buy all season radial tires for their cars or just summer tires....do they even sell snow tires? 

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Do most people buy all season radial tires for their cars or just summer tires....do they even sell snow tires? 

Depends on where you live. The vast majority of people I know in the village in my early photos have winter tyres as it’s needed. But in non-remote areas like the cities or down south, hardly anybody would I imagine as they are hardly needed (until an event like last week happens).

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

You can get winter tyres but they're rarely worth it for many parts of the UK.  Where I live in deepest Suffolk, this was the first proper snow we've had in six years.  I used to keep winter tyres for one of my old cars but they just wear down too quickly and are abysmal for fuel economy.  My current car needs them for poor weather as it has a reputation for poor performance in dodgy weather but I rely on driving more carefully and accepting the risk rather than getting them and them being wasted but for one week every six years.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

You can get winter tyres but they're rarely worth it for many parts of the UK.  Where I live in deepest Suffolk, this was the first proper snow we've had in six years.  I used to keep winter tyres for one of my old cars but they just wear down too quickly and are abysmal for fuel economy.  My current car needs them for poor weather as it has a reputation for poor performance in dodgy weather but I rely on driving more carefully and accepting the risk rather than getting them and them being wasted but for one week every six years.

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Depends on where you live. The vast majority of people I know in the village in my early photos have winter tyres as it’s needed. But in non-remote areas like the cities or down south, hardly anybody would I imagine as they are hardly needed (until an event like last week happens).

Yes, but all season radials are way better than summer tires and overcome your mileage, wear problems you have with snow tires...do you have radial all seasons?

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Yep. Pretty much what happened here this morning; a couple of cm of wet slush and the roads were gridlocked in every direction. Folks round here are totally clueless when it comes to driving in what way laughably minimal as far as adversely affecting a car's traction. Some were inching along at below 10mph in conditions, in terms of grip, no worse than heavy rain as the traffic churned up the snow that was on top of well gritted roads immediately. The speediest part of my journey was when I took the narrow back roads that fortunately all but two others were to frit to drive down.

• Haha 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Yes, but all season radials are way better than summer tires and overcome your mileage, wear problems you have with snow tires...do you have radial all seasons?

I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero ATs fitted which cope fine with most conditions. If I lived somewhere with regular snow I'd invest in winter tyres, but at around £600 - £800 for a set of 4 I'm not prepared to pay out for a snowfall that may happen once every 5 years or so.

I was spectacularly impressed by my Outlander in the snow, considering it is only really a “soft roader” with normal road tyres it was brilliant. I didn’t have a single problem in the snow. I drove round for the two days it was tricky as smug as lord smug when the latest shipment of smug berries has just been delivered.

It shows what a serious advantage 4 wheel drive is in adverse conditions.

9 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero ATs fitted which cope fine with most conditions. If I lived somewhere with regular snow I'd invest in winter tyres, but at around £600 - £800 for a set of 4 I'm not prepared to pay out for a snowfall that may happen once every 5 years or so.

Those look like a nice tire...we also have various Pirelli over here...somewhat popular.

The best snow tire we have is the Bridgestone Blizzak...others are good too but the cops and all emergency ambulances etc. try to use the Blizzak.  A liitle pricey for me but there is a difference even amongst snow tires. Disclaimer: Michelins are also very good...and probably the best family of tires..

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I'll be guided 

Its a funny thing about Michelins...just lift one up in one hand and other other brand in another hand...you get what you pay for.