Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

12 hours ago, tim2 said:

My work colleagues in Detroit assure me it's quite nippy.

Was listening to the World Service last night. In Celsius, it will go from -35 (w/o wind chill) in Chicago yesterday to +10 on Saturday.

Which seems ... mental. 

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Was listening to the World Service last night. In Celsius, it will go from -35 (w/o wind chill) in Chicago yesterday to +10 on Saturday.

Which seems ... mental. 

Then back to -15 next week. It explains why the roads in Detroit are shot to pieces.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Absolutely roasting here. The temp rarely fluctuates but the locals are saying that its getting hotter and hotter each year

Absolutely freezing here.  The temp constantly fluctuates and the locals are saying that its getting colder and colder each year.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Absolutely freezing here.  The temp constantly fluctuates and the locals are saying that its getting colder and colder each year.

Any chance of some pics please. I love seeing real weather compared to the dusting that grinds us to a halt. 

17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Any chance of some pics please. I love seeing real weather compared to the dusting that grinds us to a halt. 

Problem is I don't know how to transfer from my wifes i phone to this computer we have tried and tried but it never works....here are a couple that have been posted up though to give you an idea from up here.

Many of cops have ditched their cruisers trying to rescue people trapped on the closed roads...locals are making rescue convoys of tractors and snowmobiles to go get them.

cops.jpg

blizzard 1.jpg

• Like 1

Must say we've got some pretty crazy weather here at mo. At work having break right now, stood outside and I can't see more than 10 metres in front of me cos of some super thick fog that's come down in the last couple of hours and it's getting worse. Gonna be dark soon, hope this lifts in next three hours before I've gotta go home. 

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Must say we've got some pretty crazy weather here at mo. At work having break right now, stood outside and I can't see more than 10 metres in front of me cos of some super thick fog that's come down in the last couple of hours and it's getting worse. Gonna be dark soon, hope this lifts in next three hours before I've gotta go home. 

Just looked out to see if the freezing fog had cleared to find it had been snowing. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

20 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Just looked out to see if the freezing fog had cleared to find it had been snowing. 

Do you want more?  We can send more your way...all free of charge too!  This is what the major highways look like up here at the moment.

highway.jpg

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Do you want more?  We can send more your way...all free of charge too!  This is what the major highways look like up here at the moment.

highway.jpg

Thanks but no thanks, mate.

Going to be bad enough on the open end at Craven Park tomorrow night.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

57 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Snowmageddon in Hampshire today

Thank Goodness for 4 Wheel Drive

IMG_0589.PNG

Typical - snow day in Hampshire and I'm up in Cas!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Childhood ambition achieved! ? 

The hill I live on (a main road) was shut to traffic. I sledged down it! 

It was quite scary though.

#sofast

YouTube or it didn't happen.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was watching the news just before I came out to work and the lead story was the weather. They are talking about the South grinding to a halt, people stranded in the middle of nowhere, genuinely talking like it is the apocalypse and then they show you a video of a light covering of snow perhaps 2 millimetres thick.

There was a bloke on there who got stranded in Cornwall and he said he lives in Norway for 3 months of the year and he's never seen weather like this there. I can only assume he in fact meant that he has never seen so little snow as this in Norway. As he was saying this he was stood by the side of the road in about a centimetre of snow. 

They were also at a college down that way where students had been stranded overnight and it showed them all wrapped in blankets looking traumatised like they had been rescued from an earthquake. The head of the school said something along the lines of, 'we have a managed to provide water and food for them' and they were getting bedding donated..... Bloody hell, they don't know they've been born, I've slept against walls on concrete floors in dodgy Eastern European train stations before! Grow a pair! Jesus, media know how to blow stuff out of proportion...... 

Its genuinely embarrassing when you see pictures like what Kayakman has posted with people in those places just getting on with their lives. I know people who live in Finland and they've said before that for a few months of the year you can't use your car cos the roads are completely blocked and if you leave it out of your garage the petrol will freeze. People here would die if they couldn't use their car for even a couple of days. 'how will I go 1 mile down the road?!' walk you Nancy!!

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I was watching the news just before I came out to work and the lead story was the weather. They are talking about the South grinding to a halt, people stranded in the middle of nowhere, genuinely talking like it is the apocalypse and then they show you a video of a light covering of snow perhaps 2 millimetres thick.

There was a bloke on there who got stranded in Cornwall and he said he lives in Norway for 3 months of the year and he's never seen weather like this there. I can only assume he in fact meant that he has never seen so little snow as this in Norway. As he was saying this he was stood by the side of the road in about a centimetre of snow. 

They were also at a college down that way where students had been stranded overnight and it showed them all wrapped in blankets looking traumatised like they had been rescued from an earthquake. The head of the school said something along the lines of, 'we have a managed to provide water and food for them' and they were getting bedding donated..... Bloody hell, they don't know they've been born, I've slept against walls on concrete floors in dodgy Eastern European train stations before! Grow a pair! Jesus, media know how to blow stuff out of proportion...... 

Its genuinely embarrassing when you see pictures like what Kayakman has posted with people in those places just getting on with their lives. I know people who live in Finland and they've said before that for a few months of the year you can't use your car cos the roads are completely blocked and if you leave it out of your garage the petrol will freeze. People here would die if they couldn't use their car for even a couple of days. 'how will I go 1 mile down the road?!' walk you Nancy!!

There is this huge snowbank up here and everyone is calling it "Trumps Wall" and we didn't even have to pay for it!  Currently in clean up phase.

snow wall.jpg

• Haha 1

The beast from the east returns. 

IMG_20190202_085948-01.jpeg

• Like 4

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Ready to go back in the bush today...alot of snow back there and will be clearing probably something like 6 foot drifts.   Will have to stop in somewhere for a drink on the way since Wiarton Willy makes his prediction today....big party in town.

Snow Goggles  check

Full face shield and toque  check

scarf...check

parka   check

arctic mitts...check

insulated pants...check

snowboots...check

leg gaiters   check

Bearpaw snowshoes with homemade bindings....check

water...check

positive attitude and common sense....double check.

GOING IN!

brown-lemming.jpg

Edited by Kayakman