Help Needed

Ovo

OK all you fev historians. I am sat with 3 programmes that I need help dating.

First one is a match versus Bradford Northern. It is a single A4 piece folded in half and the rovers team that day was Blackburn, Crabtree, Davis, Lambert, Altass, Gilbertson, Russell, Hemingway, Wood, Welburn, Kent, Reynolds and Payne.

Second one is from the same Era. It was an opening Fixture on 23rd Aug against Keighley, but I do not know the year. Anyone got any ideas? Team was Barraclough, Blackburn, Quick, Tennant, Stephenson P, Allman, Higgins, Palmer, King, Maiden, Allision, Kent, Stephenson F.

Third one is a 2nd Rd Challenge Cup game against Doncaster, but what date - sometime around 1962 I would say? Probably late March because there is mention of Joe Mullaney's wedding on 5th March. Team: Fennel, Waterworth, Cooper, Hunt, Jordan, Mullaney, Fox, Dixon, Ward, Hockley, Clawson, Lambert, Clifft.

My collection is growing nicely, so if anyone has any old rovers progs that they do not want I will always find a new home for them and pass on any extra's ans swaps to the club shop :-)

Anything I post is a personal opinion

First one is a match versus Bradford Northern. It is a single A4 piece folded in half and the rovers team that day was Blackburn, Crabtree, Davis, Lambert, Altass, Gilbertson, Russell, Hemingway, Wood, Welburn, Kent, Reynolds and Payne.

Second one is from the same Era. It was an opening Fixture on 23rd Aug against Keighley, but I do not know the year. Anyone got any ideas? Team was Barraclough, Blackburn, Quick, Tennant, Stephenson P, Allman, Higgins, Palmer, King, Maiden, Allision, Kent, Stephenson F.

Third one is a 2nd Rd Challenge Cup game against Doncaster, but what date - sometime around 1962 I would say? Probably late March because there is mention of Joe Mullaney's wedding on 5th March. Team: Fennel, Waterworth, Cooper, Hunt, Jordan, Mullaney, Fox, Dixon, Ward, Hockley, Clawson, Lambert, Clifft.

My collection is growing nicely, so if anyone has any old rovers progs that they do not want I will always find a new home for them and pass on any extra's ans swaps to the club shop :-)

can't be specific, but derek altass was my mums cousin, and i believe he only played from 1947 1949 before transferring to doncaster on their formation. i thinkcolin mentioned being at that bradford game, maybe he can remember.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Hi Ovo. The 2nd Round CC match against Donny took place on the 3rd of March 1962. Fev winning 14-2. Jordon2, Waterworth and Dixon scoring the tries.

I cant be specific about your other two progs but Derek Altass made his debut in season 1948-49, playing 64 games on the wing and scoring 10 tries.

In the Keighley prog is Frank Quick a centre threequarter who made debut in season 1946-47 and played 34 games scoring 5 tries and 10 goals.

You are fortunate to have a Club with a proud history to support and one that has been well documented. The Club also has an excellent historian in Terry Jones. I know that the club has a copy of "The Teams and Scorers" compiled by Irvin Saxton and his Record Keepers Club in the 1970s to 1990s. These give the results and teams who played in every senior match from 1895 until 1994. All compiled by hand they must have taken weeks and weeks of research. Rugby League should honour Irvin Saxton of Purston for his work.

I hope the game is on tomorrow!

Hi Ovo. The 2nd Round CC match against Donny took place on the 3rd of March 1962. Fev winning 14-2. Jordon2, Waterworth and Dixon scoring the tries.

I cant be specific about your other two progs but Derek Altass made his debut in season 1948-49, playing 64 games on the wing and scoring 10 tries.

In the Keighley prog is Frank Quick a centre threequarter who made debut in season 1946-47 and played 34 games scoring 5 tries and 10 goals.

You are fortunate to have a Club with a proud history to support and one that has been well documented. The Club also has an excellent historian in Terry Jones. I know that the club has a copy of "The Teams and Scorers" compiled by Irvin Saxton and his Record Keepers Club in the 1970s to 1990s. These give the results and teams who played in every senior match from 1895 until 1994. All compiled by hand they must have taken weeks and weeks of research. Rugby League should honour Irvin Saxton of Purston for his work.

Thanks SELEBIAN. Yes Quick was wearing no. 3 that day. I know Terry well and he was actually the source of these programmes. All the answers are of course in the archives at the club, but I know some of the folks on here will save me a trip down to the ground.

Years.

I have the game against Bradford as September 24th 1949 and the Keighley game as 1947 but with Fred Richardson at Loose Fotward

I have the game against Bradford as September 24th 1949 and the Keighley game as 1947 but with Fred Richardson at Loose Fotward

Thanks Bazzer