Food and drink thread

I shall be cooking a Spanish fish stew on Sunday for my wife's birthday.

Sounds interesting - what's your recipe?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sounds interesting - what's your recipe?

Sort of a pick and mix off the various versions on the internet....and is all written down at home so I can't remember specifics

Basics = garlic, celery, onion, parsley, potatoes, chick peas, fennel, tomato

Fish - to be decided depending on fish counter at Tesco as no decent fish shops near us. After my recent trip to Valencia it seems with seafood paella and that sort of thing pretty much anything goes from a mixture of white fish, prawns and shell fish, squid of various forms and pretty much anything thats get caught in a net while out fishing.

Some receipes suggested chorizo, others didn't so I still need to make my mind up on that. Personally I love chorizo and would put it in everything, but not sure if it would be too much for this dish.

This book might interest you (and others).

41JnJeaWcdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It covers Spain by region, with stunning photography, interesting stuff about Spanish food and culture, as well as recipes. Borders had some of the 'Culinaria' collection on sale, before they closed down, and I still regret not buying more volumes in the series while they were cheap.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have just poured a Jaques cider. I have never had it before & saw small bottles in Home Bargain and bought 2 on a whim to try. Must say its lovely. Me thinks will be going back for more in the week ;)

barbecue tonight memsahib's birthday

set out the garden bistro style, with the pot bellied stove in the middle and lights in the trees.

nothing fancy.

father in law here already, nodding off in the summer house with a whisky.

not evn ******** about with marinading, but making a chilli.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I have just poured a Jaques cider. I have never had it before & saw small bottles in Home Bargain and bought 2 on a whim to try. Must say its lovely. Me thinks will be going back for more in the week ;)

I'm surprised that it took you so long to try it!.It's very much a you drink if you don't mind me saying! :)

It's cider but dressed as wine.

I'm surprised that it took you so long to try it!.It's very much a you drink if you don't mind me saying! :)

It's cider but dressed as wine.

i hink it is a ME drink too :lol: I am easily pleased with a bit of fruitiness :ph34r:

( I will say it before you do) must go get more in the week. Need to introduce the girls to it.

Now its gone I am back on the wine ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My snails were not too bad.

Drowned in garlic butter to the max.

They were dense and chewy, 'rubbery' isn't quite the correct description though. Someone likened them to prawns in texture, I said they were more like those banana foam sweets. Taste-wise, quite earthy, although that might be me as I knew they were snails, etc.

I think I will make steak tartare next.

My snails were not too bad.

Drowned in garlic butter to the max.

They were dense and chewy, 'rubbery' isn't quite the correct description though. Someone likened them to prawns in texture, I said they were more like those banana foam sweets. Taste-wise, quite earthy, although that might be me as I knew they were snails, etc.

I think I will make steak tartare next.

Snails can be very rubbery, from personal experience. They need plenty of cooking time to soften them up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was in a bar last week with alligator listed as a special. Unfortunately it wasn't available so I missed the opportunity.

I've had crocodile burgers, purchased from OsGrow Online, which were nice. White meat, and a mild flavour, by the way.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
Cheers, might still give them a go anyway, just to say I have.

Any recommendations?

Cook 'em like chicken legs, making sure they don't dry out. The flavour's nothing particularly special, but you will be able to say you've tried them.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson