Food and drink thread

I need a new idea for November.

Durian? Assuming you can get it.

Ants, camel, crocodile, rattlesnake, scorpions... they even do ostrich egg ice cream.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We recently got a bread maker and having been trying lots of different loaves. Nice to be able to cut decent thick doorstep slices rather than supermarket 'thick sliced' rubbish.

one of the better gadgets that end up at the back of cupboard.

I don'talways use it to make loaves, but dough, which I then use to make stuff with.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

• 3 weeks later...
Kedgeree from memory is rice, curry powder, smoked fish, boiled eggs, parsley and cream....plus maybe one or two other bits. Very nice if done properly

when I've made it I just used turmeric, not curry powder. It complements the smoked fish better.

Kedgeree is one of those dished that you can't stop shovelling down. I love the stuff.

Keeping it local

Rabbits lovely, used to eat a lot when I was young, not had it for years

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

This recipe serves the same purpose , warms the house and warms the soul, if you cook the shanks for 4-6 hours. I hope the link works.

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lambmadraswithchapat_93782

"Eh Up, potty mouth. I know life hasn't been kind to you, but there's no need to parade your resentful jealousy on here." JohnM 16th April 2020

Rabbits good,so is ostrich, both need careful cooking though

Rabbit is best cooked slowly in a stew type reciepe rather than grilling or frying IMHO. Had it at many a scout camp and loved it.

Never tried Rabbit. Saw Rabbit Stifaso at a Tapas Restaurant in Halifax the other week but it wasn't on the early bird menu so I didn't have it!!!!! :lol:

I'm cooking xmas dinner and am dying to cook Goose or Quail but I don't think anyone will appreciate it as it's not what we usually have on xmas day.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Never tried Rabbit. Saw Rabbit Stifaso at a Tapas Restaurant in Halifax the other week but it wasn't on the early bird menu so I didn't have it!!!!! :lol:

I'm cooking xmas dinner and am dying to cook Goose or Quail but I don't think anyone will appreciate it as it's not what we usually have on xmas day.

We nearly had goose last year, they had frozen geese in Lidl, at a good price, but we chickened out and had turkey (geddit) It's all the fat you get with goose that worries me, and will there be enough, or it there's too much what to do with the residue. I even bought a gravy separator to deal with the fat, but didn't need it.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

taking delivery of a load of pheasants next week.

Pheasant and partridge are lovely.

I used to work with a bloke who shot pheasant. I went for a weekend to Holland and brought back 400 duty free cigs and swapped him for a brace of pheasant. We cooked them wrapped in bacon, but they came out dry and tasteless, and full of lead shot. Never been tempted again.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Sometimes you need to keep it simple.

Peel and chop some apples, chop and stone some plums, chuck 'em in a pan with some sugar, some cinnamon and some lemon juice and let them soften. Have a smell of it. Divine.

Butter, sugar, flour, make some crumble up.

All into a dish, into the oven. Wait till it browns, then eat the lot with custard.

Marvellous.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

I used to work with a bloke who shot pheasant. I went for a weekend to Holland and brought back 400 duty free cigs and swapped him for a brace of pheasant. We cooked them wrapped in bacon, but they came out dry and tasteless, and full of lead shot. Never been tempted again.

I braised the breasts in cider with shallots and chorizo and some garlic.

served with minted new potatoes, very tasty, very sweet, very moist.

Keeping it local